Plusnet subscription due for renewal - what to do?

Old September 30th 03, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Peter

Default Plusnet subscription due for renewal - what to do?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:01:42 +0100, "David Hearn"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:58:04 +0100, "David Hearn"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks for the comments guys. It seems I'll be staying put with
PlusNet.

Dynamic Vs Static IP? it means the difference between someone tracking
everything you do, say or see online, or not. I'm talking legal here
and I would rather not be profiled if I can avoid it. Why would anyone
not object to being tracked forever by anyone, and I mean ANYONE when
you have a static IP. Static is handy for running ftp, www sites etc
but it really is a gift horse to anyone wanting to use your
information.

Why do you think they could profile you?

Why does anyone do anything, why do we get junk mail, why do we get
DOS attacks, why anything?

All websites will keep logs - the
only difference between dynamic and static is that you'll have the same

IP
come up in the logs each time

Precisley.

- but even this would be the same for the
duration of your connection anyway (assuming you've got an ISP which

really
does give dynamic IPs and not just sticky ones).

True, but would change daily or each time you log on.

AFAIK, ADSL ISPs rarely force an IP address change whilst you're online, so
it would only be each time you log on - and that's assuming your DHCP lease
is set to a short period, and that your ISP doesn't use sticky IPs which
AFAIK, most do.

Plus - automated profiling probably only really works when you know for

sure
that a single IP can be tracked back to a single user.

It can on most ISPs, certainly with PlusNet, even email address can be
deduced from their ip.

PlusNet will change your DNS name from username.plus.com to something more
like 205-123-43-5.dialup.whatever.com if you want.

Also, for an automated profiling system to work, you need to know how each
ISP names their IPs etc to be able to work out addresses from DNS name. Of
course, manually you can probably check each one in turn, look at the DNS
name and then try to work out a name from that - but do you really think
such manual methods are going to be used? And, if you're on PlusNet (which
you are) - then you can change your DNS name to something not relating to
you (which I think you have).

Our company here has
40 people on 1 IP

Slightly different but granted.

Not really different - just because you have a single IP doesn't mean that
YOU accessed that site. Having a wireless network can mean that your
neighbours or someone outside your house could be using your network (with
your permission of course!). No different from a company with a static IP
and 40 people behind that IP. A website cannot know the difference between
one person on a dynamic IP dialup and 400 people on a static IP leased line
network - they just have an IP and that's all.

- so we'd have a pretty mixed up profile based on that
range of users! Also, how would they know that your IP address is

actually
a static one as opposed to a dynamic one?

You check it, plenty of online sources or just check my headers.

What I was meaning was there is not anything particular about an IP address
that makes it known whether its static or dynamic. Apart from the DNS name
resolving to accountname.plus.com etc (highly likely its static - but as I
said before, thei can be changed on PlusNet and therefore can't be tracked
back to you) there's no way of telling how that IP address was assigned. An
IP address is an IP address - and its really only the ISP + user who can
tell if your IP is static or dynamic.

Yes, the DNS may resolve to
something more specific than a 205-123-43-5.dialup.whatever.com - but

some
ISPs don't use such DNS names - there isn't a way to know if an IP

address
is dynamic or static without using something else to track the user - eg.
user login or cookies.

Plenty of sites will show your ip. eg

http://www.photonosoftware.com/Steal...3?language=eng

See paragraph above - there's nothing on that page which says its a
static/dynamic IP.

Incidentally, the link you gave above's software does not guarantee that you
can't be traced. Yes, they claim that they don't log your requests - but
how do you *know* that? How do you know that one of the proxies doesn't
intercept your information on the route?

I assume also you disable all cookies - because these are the usual

method
of tracking users. Webtrends (used for logging users/statistics etc)
includes a cookie which is used to track individual users (as opposed to

IP
addresses).

I use various privacy software

Yup - but the moment you have a username to log into a site, your privacy is
gone.

Privacy is important - I agree - but you are already being tracked if you
allow cookies or use user logins - not to mention IPs regardless of

whether
its dynamic of static.

No doubt about it, but it's who is doing the tracking that is of
concern, police, isp, M15 etc fine, but spammers, trolls, your
neighbour! I dont think so, I want my privacy.

If you have a static IP and a DNS name which isn't attributable to you (ie.
205-123-43-5.dialup.whatever.com) then how can your neighbour/spammer know
its you? The only way they can do that is if they have some other
information to correlate it with (eg. URLs encoded with a unique number
attibuted to an email address) - but this would be the same even if you had
a dynamic one.

There are few things a troll/neighbour could do with your IP address - yes,
they can DoS you - but that's a surefire way of getting their account closed
down. They could try hacking you - but of course, you're using a firewall
so you're safe.

Spammers - there's little use in a IP address to them - its email accounts
they need - and if you're with PlusNet, you can get a different DNS name
which stops them from working out an email account from a DNS name.

As we've gone through before though - there are some reasons for having a
dynamic IP - eg. being barred from an FTP or IRC server and wanting to

get
round that ban...

There are a million and one reasons for keeping your private life
private.

The thing is, you seem to assume that you can have privacy on the internet.
You can't. Everything you do is logged one way or another. Even all your
emails (From/To/Subject/Date/Time) are logged and kept for 6 months (1 year
if the Gov get their way). Even if the ISP doesn't keep logs of your web
requests, the web server itself will do that, and can be correlated with
your ISPs allocation of IP addresses for that date/time (unless you use a
series of proxy servers - but don't be so sure that your requests aren't
logged at the ISP level - before they hit the proxies).

I have no objections to government logs, tracking etc in fact I think
it, along with photo ID etc is a great idea. What I dont want is any
joe blow being able to track what I am doing, which they can with
static IPs.
Old September 30th 03, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
David Hearn

"Peter" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:01:42 +0100, "David Hearn"
wrote:

snip

[...]

Of course, "any joe blow" could be two things: a website/service that you
have accessed, or someone reading an email/post of yours.

With respect to websites/services - you do have a little degree of control
over who you provide your IP to by chosing which sites/services you use. If
you don't like the "joe blow" then don't use their site.

As for emails/news posts - these are traceable to your IP, which in theory
could be traced back to you - but of course, that's the whole point of
putting that in the headers - to stop people from being able to send
anonymous, non-traceable emails. The only kind of profiling that can be
done is reading all the posts you've made to Usenet... which can easily be
done via Google anyway. Plus, what can they do once they know your IP?

Realistically, the only "joe blow" you've got anything to 'worry' are those
running websites/services - and you can chose which sites you use.

I take it you only pay by cash (and never using a credit/debit card - let
alone using a 'personal tracking device' (aka. loyalty card)), change your
registration number each time you go out, never put your registration number
on that little signing in book in offices you visit, hate the Police's ANPR
and SPECs system, and avoid the blue TrafficMaster cameras on major roads.
All these things can be used to track who you are and where you drive. Oh,
and you'll be ex-directory, signed up to the Telephone/Mailing Preference
Service and have your name omitted from the public version of the Electoral
Roll....

Old September 30th 03, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
David Hearn

"Peter" wrote in message
news
snip

I have no objections to government logs, tracking etc in fact I think
it, along with photo ID etc is a great idea. What I dont want is any
joe blow being able to track what I am doing, which they can with
static IPs.

By the way - I agree that in principle, dynamic IPs provide a greater degree
of privacy (if you take it to the extreme) - but for the majority of people,
this extra degree isn't necessary, and for some the reasons for having a
static IP outweigh these *potential* methods of tracing you.