Downloading FAQ's

Old October 8th 03, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Macca

Default Downloading FAQ's

Hi,
im new to the downloading scene. Just downloaded the Bittorrent client and
i am downloading. Are there any FAQ'a as to what i do with the finished
articles?

For example how do i create a SVCD etc,

Thanks
Macca

Old October 8th 03, 01:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

"Macca" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,
im new to the downloading scene. Just downloaded the Bittorrent client

and
i am downloading. Are there any FAQ'a as to what i do with the finished
articles?

For example how do i create a SVCD etc,

Thanks
Macca

That's covered in your burner user guide - RTFM!

And what's this got to do with uk.t.b? You need alt.comp.periphs.cdr
--

---

Old October 8th 03, 03:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cuzman

"Macca" wrote in message
. ..

" For example how do i create a SVCD etc, "

I don't know your level of competence, so excuse me if I sound a bit
patronizing. Everyone who uploads to BitTorrent encodes and compresses
their movies in different ways. You may need to know how to open RAR files
with WinRAR, and how to use Parity Sets (PAR files) for verification. You
may also need to have various codecs installed (DivX, AC3 etc...), depending
on the format the films are uploaded. You'll also need to download a few
essential programs for encoding (TMPGEnc, VirtualDub etc...). You'll need
to learn how to create and burn BIN and CUE files, as many films are already
in this format. Just visit the following pages for info:

VCDHelp / DVDRHelp: http://dvdrhelp.com
VCDHelper: http://www.doom9.org/

WinRAR: http://www.winrar.com/
QuickPAR: http://www.pbclements.co.uk/QuickPar/
DivX Codec: http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX51Bundle.exe
AC3 Codec: http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net/
TMPGEnc: http://www.tmpgenc.net/
VirtualDub: http://www.virtualdub.org/
VCDGear: http://www.vcdgear.com/

Old October 8th 03, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

im new to the downloading scene. Just downloaded the Bittorrent client and
i am downloading. Are there any FAQ'a as to what i do with the finished
articles?
For example how do i create a SVCD etc,

Further to the other reply, you may find that the file is in a non-SVCD
format, and would need to be converted if you wanted to use it in a DVD
player etc rather than watching it on the PC monitor. That`s because many
"hookey" films that you can download need a special "codec" that tells
the computer how to understand the file and display the film.

Try looking for TMPGEnc for more info - it will convert most formats to
one you could use on a DVD player etc.

www.doom9.org might also give you some pointers :-)

You may also want to investigate a program called Gspot which will tell
you *exactly* which codecs a movie uses.

"Nimo codec pack" might be worth a hunt too, but I seem to remember
someone saying the divx decoder it installs clashes with some Microsoft
games (freelancer springs to mind - I think it was mentioned on
alt.fan.elite a while ago)