Port forwarding on Conexant 4 port adsl router

Old October 17th 03, 01:09 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Russell

Default Port forwarding on Conexant 4 port adsl router

I've been playing for hours and I can't get port forwarding to work on my
Conexant (Dabs value) 4 port adsl modem/router.

The documentation I've read implies it works and with the latest firmware
version from Amigo's web site (CA6XR-GN.0924.00T)
the gui has all the right controls to set it up. I've mapped the ports on
the Virtual Server page to the local IP address.

I'm trying to enable web and telnet traffic into a local Unix server. From
the LAN I'm able to access both services OK, but if I use the public WAN
address it appears that the router is not forwarding the traffic onto the
LAN.

Has anyone with this router managed to get port forwarding to work?

Thanks,

Graham.

-------------------------------------
Graham Russell Photography
www.grahamrussell.info

Old October 17th 03, 01:29 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Bat Guano

Graham Russell wrote:

I've been playing for hours and I can't get port forwarding to work on my
Conexant (Dabs value) 4 port adsl modem/router.

The documentation I've read implies it works and with the latest firmware
version from Amigo's web site (CA6XR-GN.0924.00T)
the gui has all the right controls to set it up. I've mapped the ports on
the Virtual Server page to the local IP address.

I'm trying to enable web and telnet traffic into a local Unix server. From
the LAN I'm able to access both services OK, but if I use the public WAN
address it appears that the router is not forwarding the traffic onto the
LAN.

Has anyone with this router managed to get port forwarding to work?

You know you won't be able to access your lan via the internet from
behind your router unless you use a proxy server , or alternatively use
a dial-up modem.

Does SGI and REX mean anything?

Old October 17th 03, 07:59 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Russell

"Bat Guano" [email protected] wrote in message
Graham Russell wrote:

[...]

Wow, they certainly do. I've left the router with virtual server turned off
and dmz pointing at the internal server.

I'm a bit new to this advanced networking stuff. Any pointers to setting up
the proxy server you mentioned? You've obviously managed to get into my
router externally - how did you do this? telnet? ftp?

Graham.

Old October 17th 03, 09:05 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 06:59:04 +0100, "Graham Russell"
wrote:

I'm a bit new to this advanced networking stuff. Any pointers to setting up
the proxy server you mentioned? You've obviously managed to get into my
router externally - how did you do this? telnet? ftp?

Turn off all the servers in the Misc Configuration menu and save the
settings. Change your admin passwords as well.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old October 17th 03, 12:29 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Graham Russell" wrote in message ...
I've been playing for hours and I can't get port forwarding to work on my
Conexant (Dabs value) 4 port adsl modem/router.

The documentation I've read implies it works and with the latest firmware
version from Amigo's web site (CA6XR-GN.0924.00T)
the gui has all the right controls to set it up. I've mapped the ports on
the Virtual Server page to the local IP address.

I'm trying to enable web and telnet traffic into a local Unix server. From
the LAN I'm able to access both services OK, but if I use the public WAN
address it appears that the router is not forwarding the traffic onto the
LAN.

Has anyone with this router managed to get port forwarding to work?

Thanks,

Graham.

Hi Graham

If its the same as the origo you will need to do a power down /up
after saving/rebooting, to check it use http://www.guardster.com/ to
check its working. I had a similar trouble till I did the above.

Ian Plain

www.bathford-broadband.co.uk

-------------------------------------

Old October 17th 03, 08:33 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Bat Guano

Graham Russell wrote:

Wow, they certainly do. I've left the router with virtual server turned off
and dmz pointing at the internal server.

I'm a bit new to this advanced networking stuff. Any pointers to setting up
the proxy server you mentioned? You've obviously managed to get into my
router externally - how did you do this? telnet? ftp?

I just typed http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn into my browser bar - I got the
address from the headers on your post. I think you've got the port
forwarding working ok, but you need to use a proxy to be able to test it
from your network - to be able to go out on the internet and back again.
Someone else mentioned http://www.guardster.com/ or you could use a
different account (like I did).

Old October 18th 03, 09:19 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Jocelyn Lavin

Has anyone with this router managed to get port forwarding to work?

I have!

See this site for setup info if you haven't already:
http://www.cazart.plus.com/conexant/

Having done the setup, I got the port forwarding to work via the Virtual
Server page of the config. The only thing I need port forwarding for is so
that DCC will work on IRC. And it does, after I put the correct ports onto
the Virtual Server page.

Hope that helps......

--
Buffy : I told you. I said end of the world and youčre like 'poo-poo southern
California, poo-poo!'

Old October 20th 03, 01:34 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Nemo

So...
How is port forwarding set on the Virtual Server page?

Here is my guess, (but I'd appreciate confirmation before I destroy my
connection!).

ID Public Port Private Port Port Type Host IP Address
1 6881 6881 TCP 10.0.0.8
2 6882 6882 TCP 10.0.0.8
etc.

Is this anywhere close to being right?

Any help most gratefully received.

Nemo

Old October 20th 03, 09:56 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:34:10 +0100, Nemo
wrote:

ID Public Port Private Port Port Type Host IP Address
1 6881 6881 TCP 10.0.0.8
2 6882 6882 TCP 10.0.0.8
etc.

Is this anywhere close to being right?

Dunno what you are trying to do, but it is probably right. Just
remember that you have to save the changes which reboots the router so
they take effect.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old October 20th 03, 09:41 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Nemo

wrote:

ID Public Port Private Port Port Type Host IP Address
1 6881 6881 TCP 10.0.0.8
2 6882 6882 TCP 10.0.0.8
etc.

Is this anywhere close to being right?

Dunno what you are trying to do, but it is probably right. Just
remember that you have to save the changes which reboots the router so
they take effect.

To satisfy your curiosity (spelling??), I've started using BitTorrent
and port forwarding has been recommended if you're behind a router.

I'll wait until the curent downloads are completed before I try it.

To: Jocelyn
Does the above look about right to you (in order to pert forward)?