CCTV over internet

Old October 22nd 03, 09:58 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.security,uk.telecom.broadband
TX2

Default CCTV over internet

I am looking into the possibility of installing web cams in 5 different
locations with a view to be being able to monitor them from a remote
location for security related purposes.

For example, i might be in premises 1, and wish to view the cam at
premises 2 via the internet, or i may be at premises 3 and wish to view
the other 4 cams from that location.

Having no knowledge of how i might achieve this, i would imagine an
always on connection such as ADSL would be required, and some kind of
web page i could call up at my leisure which would be showing the images
'live'.

Any useful information most welcome.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:24 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.security,uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Sansom

"TX2" wrote in message
I am looking into the possibility of installing web cams in 5 different
locations with a view to be being able to monitor them from a remote
location for security related purposes.

For example, i might be in premises 1, and wish to view the cam at
premises 2 via the internet, or i may be at premises 3 and wish to view
the other 4 cams from that location.

Having no knowledge of how i might achieve this, i would imagine an
always on connection such as ADSL would be required, and some kind of
web page i could call up at my leisure which would be showing the images
'live'.

Any useful information most welcome.

Check out the December 2003 issue of PCW magazine, there an article about
home security and monitoring over the internet.

Paul

Old October 22nd 03, 10:35 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.security,uk.telecom.broadband
Alien Zord

"TX2" wrote in message
I am looking into the possibility of installing web cams in 5 different
locations with a view to be being able to monitor them from a remote
location for security related purposes.

For example, i might be in premises 1, and wish to view the cam at
premises 2 via the internet, or i may be at premises 3 and wish to view
the other 4 cams from that location.

Having no knowledge of how i might achieve this, i would imagine an
always on connection such as ADSL would be required, and some kind of
web page i could call up at my leisure which would be showing the images
'live'.

Any useful information most welcome.

There are loads of cctv cameras becoming available (known as IP cameras)
with embedded Linux and a web server. Just connect them to a broadband
connection and you can view them from anywhere in the world just by typing
their IP into the browser.
Type "ip camera" into Google to get more info.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:47 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.security,uk.telecom.broadband
David Hearn

"Alien Zord" wrote in message
"TX2" wrote in message
[...]

From what I've seen of these (at ThinkGeek
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/netcams/58de/), they're $550+ for
each camera. So for 5 camera's that would be expensive. Not to mention
they don't ship outside the US.

Maybe they can be found cheaper - but I doubt at the sort of price which
would be suitable for buying 5 (unless someone's got a large budget).

Old October 22nd 03, 10:55 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.security,uk.telecom.broadband
Bagpuss

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:35:31 +0100, "Alien Zord"
wrote:

There are loads of cctv cameras becoming available (known as IP cameras)
with embedded Linux and a web server. Just connect them to a broadband
connection and you can view them from anywhere in the world just by typing
their IP into the browser.
Type "ip camera" into Google to get more info.

Yep there are a few. One thing to make sure when using one is to set
up suitable access control into them. After all you don't want some
crim doing a search for IP cameras then either a DOS on it or just
waiting to see the times the area is clear before hitting the place.
--
This post does not reflect the opinions of all saggy cloth
cats be they a bit loose at the seams or not
Old October 22nd 03, 11:19 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.security,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Croughton

wrote:

There are loads of cctv cameras becoming available (known as IP cameras)
with embedded Linux and a web server. Just connect them to a broadband
connection and you can view them from anywhere in the world just by typing
their IP into the browser.
Type "ip camera" into Google to get more info.

Yep there are a few. One thing to make sure when using one is to set
up suitable access control into them. After all you don't want some
crim doing a search for IP cameras then either a DOS on it or just
waiting to see the times the area is clear before hitting the place.

That was my first thought as well. If you can see your room, so can
anyone else who accesses the camera, and they can see any expensive
stuff you have lying around as well. Then all they need to do in look
up the IP address and get a domain name, then do whois and get your
address...

Chris C
Old October 22nd 03, 11:47 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.security,uk.telecom.broadband
jsp21c

Check out this link to D-Link products. They do a wireless network camera
you could get the whole package from them. i.e. wireless cameras and
wireless router.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DCS-1000W

Old October 22nd 03, 12:49 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.security,uk.telecom.broadband
Zane Wilson

In article ,
David Hearn wrote:
From what I've seen of these (at ThinkGeek
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/netcams/58de/), they're $550+ for
each camera. So for 5 camera's that would be expensive. Not to mention
they don't ship outside the US.

Axis 205 webcam will do the trick, at only 150 from Microwarehouse.
Probably cheaper elsewhere, and there are several Axis resellers.

See www.axis.com for their products (they have quite a lot of
network/video products, some quite nifty).

Zane.
Old October 22nd 03, 02:03 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.security,uk.telecom.broadband
AWM

"TX2" wrote in message
I am looking into the possibility of installing web cams in 5 different
locations with a view to be being able to monitor them from a remote
location for security related purposes.

For example, i might be in premises 1, and wish to view the cam at
premises 2 via the internet, or i may be at premises 3 and wish to view
the other 4 cams from that location.

Having no knowledge of how i might achieve this, i would imagine an
always on connection such as ADSL would be required, and some kind of
web page i could call up at my leisure which would be showing the images
'live'.

Any useful information most welcome.

A number of ways of doing this; you could simply connect each camera to a PC
and have that upload the image to web page I tried various bit of software
for this the only windows one that I found that was reliable was "Coffee
Cup" but there is also software available for Linux.
The alternative is to connect to the cammeras IP address -- the cammera can
be hosted by a pc or be one the more expensive types with a built in server,
to do this you in a reliable fashion will need an ADSL connection with a
fixed IP address - while some suppliers charge more for a fixed ip address
some ISPs such as Zetnet will give you such a connection for less than BT
Yahho broadbands normal service.
No matter what solution you choose a reliable ADSL connection is esseential
for this you will need to use an ADSL router rather than an adsl modem for
connection (not much difference in cost)

Old October 22nd 03, 02:41 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.security,uk.telecom.broadband
Hairy One Kenobi

"TX2" wrote in message
I am looking into the possibility of installing web cams in 5 different
locations with a view to be being able to monitor them from a remote
location for security related purposes.

For example, i might be in premises 1, and wish to view the cam at
premises 2 via the internet, or i may be at premises 3 and wish to view
the other 4 cams from that location.

Having no knowledge of how i might achieve this, i would imagine an
always on connection such as ADSL would be required, and some kind of
web page i could call up at my leisure which would be showing the images
'live'.

Any useful information most welcome.

Interior or exterior mounting? Makes quite a difference..

You might also want to look up licensing - I believe that some form of such
is required (possibly a Data Protection Act thing)?

If you need exterior, with (e.g.) built-in IR, then Maplin used to have a
reasonable range - although I think that they've dropped the rather natty
PCI card that included movement detection.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!