Well within 6km but still fail. What is the future?

Old November 2nd 03, 01:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Default Well within 6km but still fail. What is the future?

Does anyone know what plans BT has for sorting out blackspot areas on
enabled exchanges?

I live barely two miles from my exchange and recently found out from a BT
guy working on a phone cab outside the property that our line length is
4.2km.

Yet BT repeatedly fail the line and it amazes me how a line nearly 2km
inside the limit can not support ADSL.

So what plans does BT have for areas like this? Are we just gonna be left
behind?

I wonder whether BT includes areas such as ours in their broadband
availability statistics as we are well within 6km, but that certainly
doesn't mean we can get it does it?

Old November 2nd 03, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 2/11/03 12:33 am, in article
, "James"
wrote:

Does anyone know what plans BT has for sorting out blackspot areas on
enabled exchanges?

I live barely two miles from my exchange and recently found out from a BT
guy working on a phone cab outside the property that our line length is
4.2km.

Yet BT repeatedly fail the line and it amazes me how a line nearly 2km
inside the limit can not support ADSL.

So what plans does BT have for areas like this? Are we just gonna be left
behind?

I wonder whether BT includes areas such as ours in their broadband
availability statistics as we are well within 6km, but that certainly
doesn't mean we can get it does it?

Once BT have done all the "viable" exchanges, they will undoubtedly come
under pressure to solve issues like yours. Whilst it is some time away, it
will come to you IMO, but not as long as they have viable exchanges to
address.

In short, there are no plans I guess, as there isn't the money to both
enable exchanges and update cables which fit their original purpose. Once
the former is done, I guess they will start the latter as its the next best
form of revenue available to them.

Old November 2nd 03, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bat Guano

James wrote:

Does anyone know what plans BT has for sorting out blackspot areas on
enabled exchanges?

I live barely two miles from my exchange and recently found out from a BT
guy working on a phone cab outside the property that our line length is
4.2km.

Yet BT repeatedly fail the line and it amazes me how a line nearly 2km
inside the limit can not support ADSL.

So what plans does BT have for areas like this? Are we just gonna be left
behind?

I wonder whether BT includes areas such as ours in their broadband
availability statistics as we are well within 6km, but that certainly
doesn't mean we can get it does it?

what resluts do you get from the telephone number checker?

Old November 2nd 03, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Bat Guano [email protected] wrote in
:

what resluts do you get from the telephone number checker?

I now get line "You exchange is enabled but you live too far away". I don't
live too far away though, I'm just unlucky to have a poor line.

It used to be you "you should be able to receive broadband" but I gather
they changed it after I tried ordering a couple of times.
Old November 3rd 03, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan Manley

Do any of your neighbours have Broadband?

If, so ordering a new line may help.

Dan

"James" wrote in message
. 157...
Bat Guano [email protected]k21dotcom wrote in
:

Old November 3rd 03, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ash

I have exactly the same problem. I live 4km from theexchanged but failed the
line test.

If u order a new line will it not just go through the same cables to the
exchange, apart from having a different line to the pole outside your house,
which is generally just a few metres.

"Dan Manley" wrote in message
. ..
Do any of your neighbours have Broadband?

If, so ordering a new line may help.

Dan

. 157...

Old November 3rd 03, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Dan Manley" wrote in news:3fa62511$0$9469
:

Do any of your neighbours have Broadband?

If, so ordering a new line may help.

Dan

The neighbours who I know don't have broadband and they've never
attempted to get it either.

The strange thing is that if I ented their number in the BT checker it
gives them a Green code for 512k and an Amber for 1 - 2 mb.

Does the green code mean that they'll definitely be able to receive it
then?

I've not tried ordering a new line so I may give that a go. Has anyone
had any success with this?

Thanks
Old November 9th 03, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slash`n`Burn

On 3 Nov 2003 16:45:02 GMT, James wrote:

"Dan Manley" wrote in news:3fa62511$0$9469
:

Do any of your neighbours have Broadband?

If, so ordering a new line may help.

Dan

The neighbours who I know don't have broadband and they've never
attempted to get it either.

The strange thing is that if I ented their number in the BT checker it
gives them a Green code for 512k and an Amber for 1 - 2 mb.

Does the green code mean that they'll definitely be able to receive it
then?

I've not tried ordering a new line so I may give that a go. Has anyone
had any success with this?

Thanks

As A BT Customer, you are entitled to a line that is capable of
handling any traffic that is reasonable to expect.
If you live within the specified range, and are unable to get ADSL due
to line degradation. BT Are obliged to replace the cabling. Even if it
means digging up a trench all the way from your house to the exchange.
that is why you are paying as much for your BT line, as I am, but I
can do more with mine.
Don`t take BT`s bull****, they are contractually obliged to provide
you with an equal service as any other of their consumers, including
me.
Old November 10th 03, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Slash`n`Burn wrote:
On 3 Nov 2003 16:45:02 GMT, James wrote:

"Dan Manley" wrote in
news:3fa62511$0$9469 :

[...]

SNIIIFFFFFF

I can smell something & it's not roses...

Little hint, the universal availability of service doesn't apply to
DSL. If the line isn't good enough I'm afraid it's tough

--
B-)
Don't practice safe hex,

Old November 10th 03, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

In article ,
(Slash`n`Burn) wrote:

[...]

What complete rubbish !

As a BT customer, you are entitled to voice and fax.

Data to something like 28k, it used to be 9k6 but they changed it
recently.

BT's SLA makes no mention of ADSL whatsoever. If you want an SLA for high
speed data, you need to get a leased line.

End of story :-(

- Steve