Pipex - BT pulled the plug

Old November 16th 03, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

Default Pipex - BT pulled the plug

I think the term is "whoops".

http://www.connection.pipex.net/cgi-...n=Connectivity

"16/11/03 at 17:30
Report:
Due to a BT circuit failure there is a complete loss of network
connectivity for all PIPEX Xtreme ADSL customers whose logins end in
@xtreme3.pipex.net Customers using @xtreme2.pipex.net logins may also
be affected, but repeatedly retrying should eventually result in a
successful connection.

Symptoms:
If you are affected, logins may fail and connection to the Internet
may not be possible. If connected no traffic can be sent or received.

Actions:
Work on this issue is proceeding as a top priority."

Well done BT. Thank Goodness for the free DIAL account.

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"King Queen and/or the infiltator are ******s IMHO. Net nannies are scum
Old November 17th 03, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Treefrog

"King Queen" wrote in message
I think the term is "whoops".

http://www.connection.pipex.net/cgi-...n=Connectivity

"16/11/03 at 17:30
Report:
Due to a BT circuit failure there is a complete loss of network
connectivity for all PIPEX Xtreme ADSL customers whose logins end in
@xtreme3.pipex.net Customers using @xtreme2.pipex.net logins may also
be affected, but repeatedly retrying should eventually result in a
successful connection.

Symptoms:
If you are affected, logins may fail and connection to the Internet
may not be possible. If connected no traffic can be sent or received.

Actions:
Work on this issue is proceeding as a top priority."

Well done BT. Thank Goodness for the free DIAL account.

Was this just Pipex? I've been having some really weird problems over the
weekend. I could connect to www.google.com (but none of the other
subdomains) and freebsd.org but that was about all. DNS resolved on
everything but I just couldn't connect or ping anywhere. Cached? Nope, I
could perform (new) searches on google.

Anybody else experience something similar?

Treefrog

Old November 17th 03, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

King Queen wrote:
I think the term is "whoops".

http://www.connection.pipex.net/cgi-...n=Connectivity

"16/11/03 at 17:30
Report:
Due to a BT circuit failure there is a complete loss of network
connectivity for all PIPEX Xtreme ADSL customers whose logins end in
@xtreme3.pipex.net Customers using @xtreme2.pipex.net logins may also
be affected, but repeatedly retrying should eventually result in a
successful connection.

Yep my connection died around that time last night.

I phoned the support number, and after a couple of minutes worth of
'push x for y', I got through to an announcement that support is only
active Mon-Sat etc.

Only after I'd fiddled about, and connected via 56k POTS, did I see
the message on the web site as above.

Assuming a human being had entered that data, could the same human not
have recorded the failure announcement, and arranged for it to be played out on
the support line, *before* all the pointless 'Press #' stuff ?

Then I (and many others) would have simply shut our PCs down, and gone
and done something else.

Old November 17th 03, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

[...]

The status msg on the given url makes no mention of a BT
circuit failure, merely a router failure at Pipex's site.. I
feel certain, had it been BT's fault, Pipex would have made
it known ;-)

P.

Old November 17th 03, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Informer

"King Queen" wrote in message
I think the term is "whoops".

http://www.connection.pipex.net/cgi-...n=Connectivity

"16/11/03 at 17:30
Report:
Due to a BT circuit failure there is a complete loss of network
connectivity for all PIPEX Xtreme ADSL customers whose logins end in
@xtreme3.pipex.net Customers using @xtreme2.pipex.net logins may also
be affected, but repeatedly retrying should eventually result in a
successful connection.

Pipex where quick to blame BT but later changed there action message to:

A router problem was eventually traced to PIPEX's North London site and
service was restored at around 3am.

PIPEX sincerely apologises to those users affected. This issue caused the
most extensive interruption to ADSL service for over 12 months. Work is
already underway to ensure that the network cannot suffer from a failure of
this kind in the future, and should be complete before the end of the month.

Old November 17th 03, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:20:28 -0000, "Informer"
wrote:

Pipex where quick to blame BT but later changed there action message to:

A router problem was eventually traced to PIPEX's North London site and
service was restored at around 3am.

If in doubt blame BT :-)

Old November 19th 03, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ph

wrote:

Pipex where quick to blame BT but later changed there action message to:

A router problem was eventually traced to PIPEX's North London site and
service was restored at around 3am.

If in doubt blame BT :-)

But the reason it took so long to fix was cos BT misinformed Pipex tech's as
to where the fault actually was.

Still dont excuse the complete fiasco of a 1Mb trial (which goes live
tomorrow) and the speed issues of the users who were actually upgraded, some
of which are actually now below 512K speeds!