Is your username/password tied to one line?

Old November 17th 03, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Default Is your username/password tied to one line?

What happens if you go to a friends house, and try to connect using
your ADSL username and password?
Old November 17th 03, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
news
What happens if you go to a friends house, and try to connect using
your ADSL username and password?

I think it is tied to your phone number.

Gaz

Old November 17th 03, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TreE HugGeR

"Gareth not NLL or anybody else." wrote in
message ...

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
news
What happens if you go to a friends house, and try to connect using
your ADSL username and password?

I think it is tied to your phone number.

Gaz

I have been able to log into my adsl account at my dad's house before, he
also has adsl, we are both on Nildram

HTH

TreE HugGeR

Old November 17th 03, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
news
What happens if you go to a friends house, and try to connect using
your ADSL username and password?

It depends on your ISP and the way they have configured their system.

Therefore, it will work with some ISP's details and not others - of course
both lines have to be ADSL enabled as well

Regards
Sunil

Old November 17th 03, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon Farmer

Gareth not NLL or anybody else. wrote:
"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
news
What happens if you go to a friends house, and try to connect using
your ADSL username and password?

I think it is tied to your phone number.

I work for Entanet www.enta.net and we do NOT tie logins to PSTN

Regards

Jon

Old November 17th 03, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Sunil Sood wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
news
What happens if you go to a friends house, and try to connect using
your ADSL username and password?

It depends on your ISP and the way they have configured their system.

How does it work?
If I login to , does the BT kit to which my modem
is connected go and ask some server which ISP my ATM connection should be
routed to, or is it setup by the ISP?
Old November 17th 03, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Sunil Sood wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
news
What happens if you go to a friends house, and try to connect using
your ADSL username and password?

It depends on your ISP and the way they have configured their system.

How does it work?
If I login to , does the BT kit to which my modem
is connected go and ask some server which ISP my ATM connection should be
routed to, or is it setup by the ISP?

When you login your login details are verified by a Radius server.

However, each adsl line is allocated a CBUK circuit number by BT as well.

Some ISP's check your login details against your CBUK number to see if its
the ADSL line that you have subscribed too...

Regards
Sunil

Old November 17th 03, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Sunil Sood wrote:

: When you login your login details are verified by a Radius server.

So, if a user changes their password, the ISP uploads this back onto these
"Radius servers" somehow?
Old November 17th 03, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Hmm.
The question therefore arises, is it possible for an ISP to supply
"ISP only" services.
I.E. You pay one ISP who provides a full service, and another that
just lets you login, without paying for the IPstream(?) product to
connect the end user.

Before ADSL was launched by BT Wholesale this was one of the possibilities
they considered and is technically possible.

However, when they launched the product they made the ADSL line the "ISP's"
responsibility I doubt this is going to happen.

If BT offered to sell an ADSL line directly to consumers (as is the case in
some other countries) and the consumer then had to buy an ADSL service from
an ISP in addition, then its possible...

Regards
Sunil