Churning?

Old December 5th 03, 05:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Page

Default Churning?

Hi,

I'm English but I currently live in Australia.

Here we have a process known as "churning" in which your port can be
re-allocated by Telstra to another ISP within a few hours. ISPs that support
fast churn can be switched between within a few days with minimal downtime.

My Dad lives in the UK and it currently a BT ADSL subscriber, I'm going over
in July next year and whilst I am there I plan on getting a SOHO wireless
DSL router and installing it for him.

During this installation I would like to switch him over from BT to an ISP
like Nildram and bump his speed up to the 1024/256 service perhaps.

What is the path for doing this? Am I going ot need to have him cancel his
existing service completly or is there a process similar to churning in the
UK now?

Thanks

James

Old December 5th 03, 05:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"James Page" wrote in message
During this installation I would like to switch him over from BT to an ISP
like Nildram and bump his speed up to the 1024/256 service perhaps.

What is the path for doing this? Am I going ot need to have him cancel his
existing service completly or is there a process similar to churning in

the
UK now?

In the UK its called Migration.

You can change to another ISP's service but it has to be rated at the same
speed as the original - you can't currently migrate and upgrade the service
in one step(though I guess this will change one day)

So in your case you can either a) migrate to Nildram followed by b) getting
them to upgrade your connection to 1024/256 as a 2 step process with 2 fees
etc OR cancelling your BT service and ordering the 1024K service with your
new ISP. (cease and reprovide)

Migration means very little downtime while "cease and reprovide" can mean up
to 2 weeks downtime

Nildram's web page on Migration is at http://www.getadsl.co.uk/migration.htm

Regards
Sunil

Old December 5th 03, 06:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Page