no mails out with bt broadband????

Old December 5th 03, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kidA

Default no mails out with bt broadband????

I cannot send a message to either of my smtp email accounts whilst
using BT DSL. Incoming mail work fine.. I've checked account details
for smtp servers on both of my ISP accounts I know these are fine.
When I use my old 56k dial up through IC24 everything works.. very
annoying..

I'm using BT broadband, into a belkin dsl lan modem linked to a belkin
wireless router.. it all worked fine for months.. then 2 days ago
outgoing emails just stopped..

Any ideas?
Old December 5th 03, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Watts

"kidA" wrote in message
I cannot send a message to either of my smtp email accounts whilst
using BT DSL. Incoming mail work fine.. I've checked account details
for smtp servers on both of my ISP accounts I know these are fine.
When I use my old 56k dial up through IC24 everything works.. very
annoying..

I'm using BT broadband, into a belkin dsl lan modem linked to a belkin
wireless router.. it all worked fine for months.. then 2 days ago
outgoing emails just stopped..

Many ISPs only permit you to send e-mail when you connect through their
dial-in or other account (this is mostly a spam-control measure), although
almost all permit read from anywhere.

If you are using BT broadband (not BT openworld or BT broadband-Yahoo) then
you will need an add-on - PlusNet are one ISP that offer such an add-on.

Chris

Chris

Old December 6th 03, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Crossbow

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:19:47 -0000, "Ian"
wrote:

Crossbow wrote in message
.. .
On 5 Dec 2003 02:12:10 -0800, (kidA) wrote:

I cannot send a message to either of my smtp email accounts whilst
using BT DSL. Incoming mail work fine.. I've checked account details
for smtp servers on both of my ISP accounts I know these are fine.
When I use my old 56k dial up through IC24 everything works.. very
annoying..

I'm using BT broadband, into a belkin dsl lan modem linked to a belkin
wireless router.. it all worked fine for months.. then 2 days ago
outgoing emails just stopped..

Any ideas?

Welcome to the wonderful world of BT SMTP servers.

I was pulling my hair out with the same problem you had - support deny
all knowledge of any problems, it must be my setup, they said.

Then, all of a sudden, it started working again this morning.

My guess is that it's them Graham, not you.

You guess wrong. BTBB dont have any SMTP servers. and as long as your ISP
lets you send via theirs from a connection that isnt theirown then you can,
or you can run your SMTP server as I do but AOL wont accept mail from a
dynamic IP address, AOL is the only ISP I have found this problem with.
Its all to easy to blaim BT, Yes they do make mistakes but so do all the
others. BT do suffer from a lot of poorly informed users who blaim the first
person they can. But before blaiming the first person you should check all
possibles first. IE ISP, Your setting etc.

Ian

Just out of interest, who do BT Openworld use for their SMTP servers
then Ian? They supply a BTConnect email address (was BTClick).

Also, does poorly informed include BT Technical Support, in your
opinion?

Old December 6th 03, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

In article ,
"Chris Watts" writes:

"kidA" wrote in message
I cannot send a message to either of my smtp email accounts whilst
using BT DSL. Incoming mail work fine.. I've checked account details
for smtp servers on both of my ISP accounts I know these are fine.
When I use my old 56k dial up through IC24 everything works.. very
annoying..

I'm using BT broadband, into a belkin dsl lan modem linked to a belkin
wireless router.. it all worked fine for months.. then 2 days ago
outgoing emails just stopped..

Many ISPs only permit you to send e-mail when you connect through their
dial-in or other account (this is mostly a spam-control measure), although
almost all permit read from anywhere.

If you are using BT broadband (not BT openworld or BT broadband-Yahoo) then
you will need an add-on - PlusNet are one ISP that offer such an add-on.

Let me just amplify the point Chris made, and see if anyone has anything
further to add to this analysis of the situiation.

BT Broadband is specifically sold as a connection only service, with
no service like SMTP hosts, which one normally needs for sending mail.

If one has an e-mail account with some other ISP then collecting mail is
normally no problem; the mail client carries on collecting it from that
ISP regardless of you are connected to the Internet.

The problem comes when wanting to send mail. You need an SMTP server to
send it to. SMTP servers usually don't bother with usercode/password
authentication. To prevent abuse by 3rd party spammers, the SMTP servers
of most ISPs will only accept mail if one of these conditions holds:
a) the mail is headed for one of their mail accounts
b) the IP address of the client trying to send the e-mail
belongs to that ISP (so they know who's connected).

That means that one usually has to use the SMTP server of the ISP that
you're physically connected to the Internet via - so that condition (b)
holds. It's at this point BT broadband users have real problems, since
there are no BT broadband SMTP servers.

There seem to be only the following ways round the problem, without
leaving BT Broadband:

1. Use a BT Openworld SMTP server (e.g. mail.btinternet.com) for sending
mail out via, in the hope that they carry on accepting mail from BT
Broadband clients

2. Find out if the ISP your e-mail account is with can do SMTP
authentication. If so, check your e-mail client can too
and turn it on (it's not normally enabled) setting the username and
password it should give.

3. Get a mail service account with an ISP such as plusnet, as Chris
points out, which can do SMTP authentication.
e.g. http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?KWmRRzHDWa4%3D

4. Use an e-mail service which you access via the web, as a last resort,
e.g. hotmail, so you don't need to send out e-mail directly.

5. Run a mail transfer agent on your PC such that each individual item
of outgoing e-mail is directed to the appropriate SMTP server for
who the mail item is actually for. (More of use to Linux users perhaps.)

Any more?

--
Tim Clark

This contributuion has been checked for viruses and it is guaranteed
there exist an infinite number of Turing machines for which it is a
virus.
Old December 6th 03, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, "Tim Clark" wrote:

It's at this point BT broadband users have real problems, since
there are no BT broadband SMTP servers.

Their web information (www.bt.com/btbroadband then seek out the section
BT Broadband Help & Support Getting started get more from BTB

clearly explains in ISP Subscriptions, under "Note" that many ISPs offer
e-mail and web hosting as well as dedicated content channels, but that
BT Broadband doesn't, and users can choose extras that they pay for.

It goes on under Email to point to the Essentials section at
www.bt.com/btbroadbandstart (that URL took me to another page
btbroadbandstart.bt.com/main.htm which started off with "First things
first" and highlighted the Essentials portion and encourages users to
get themselves an e-mail service.

3. Get a mail service account with an ISP such as plusnet, as Chris
points out, which can do SMTP authentication.

PlusNet, Claranet, easily, dotname, BTO, Hotmail and Yahoo! were shown
on the "Essentials" links for e-mail. I'd recommend using fastmail.fm
which has a once-only fee unlike several of the recommended ones, with
annual fees. It's even possible to use POP and web access for free,
and they have many more domain names than fastmail.fm :-)

Any more?

No, I think you've covered most things, but it is well-known on this
group and many people highlight the higher (than many ISPs) costs to
get a cut-down (to essentially only IP traffic) service guaranteed
on BT Broadband. Clara's mail + news (text only) is perhaps one
of the better deals offered, and I use that myself, but wouldn't go
near BT Broadband unless I was paid to, personally, though many users
have no complaints over speed or (minimal) facilities. The 1 GB cap
might put some users off, of course. Peter M.
Old December 7th 03, 12:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Jones

try setting smtp setting to mailbtopenworld.com guys, this is what i used
when on bt openworld and BTbroadband upto oct 1 before moving back into a
cable area

"kidA" wrote in message
I cannot send a message to either of my smtp email accounts whilst
using BT DSL. Incoming mail work fine.. I've checked account details
for smtp servers on both of my ISP accounts I know these are fine.
When I use my old 56k dial up through IC24 everything works.. very
annoying..

I'm using BT broadband, into a belkin dsl lan modem linked to a belkin
wireless router.. it all worked fine for months.. then 2 days ago
outgoing emails just stopped..

Any ideas?

---