Contention Ratio - Do I contend with all ISPs or just my own?

Old December 5th 03, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default Contention Ratio - Do I contend with all ISPs or just my own?

I'm thinking of signing up for Metronet as they offer quite an
attractive package for a relatively low useage user.

They operate a 50:1 contention ratio, now I roughly understand what
this means, but wondered if this means I'll share a pipe with 49 other
Metronet users, or 49 other users (any ISP) at my exchange.

The reason this is relavent is because due to the pricing structure
Metronet customers are likely to be lower bandwidth users than other
ISPs so would be preferable to share with 49 of them than 49 users
from another ISP.

Is 50:1 a relatively average number, or should I be alarmed at such a
high number?

Thanks for any help

David Bevan

http://www.davidbevan.co.uk
http://www.websphereusergroup.org.uk
Old December 5th 03, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"David" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking of signing up for Metronet as they offer quite an
attractive package for a relatively low useage user.

They operate a 50:1 contention ratio, now I roughly understand what
this means, but wondered if this means I'll share a pipe with 49 other
Metronet users, or 49 other users (any ISP) at my exchange.

The reason this is relavent is because due to the pricing structure
Metronet customers are likely to be lower bandwidth users than other
ISPs so would be preferable to share with 49 of them than 49 users
from another ISP.

Is 50:1 a relatively average number, or should I be alarmed at such a
high number?

All ISP's (with only 1/2 exceptions) sell ADSL contended at 50:1 and 20:1 -
this is because they are reselling BT Wholesale ADSL products (between
yourself and them) before the IP traffic goes onto their own networks - and
thats the ratio's BTW specify.

I woudn't worry about contention - the figures apply over BT's core network
and are managed by them. Its not 50 users to 1 512KB pipe but more like
15,000 users to a 155MB pipe but remember many people won't be using their
connection at any one time.

Also at the moment BT Wholesale are not implementing contention - if you
subscribe to a 50:1 service you will get more like 15:1 in reallity

Regards
Sunil

Old December 5th 03, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:21:36 -0000, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

Also at the moment BT Wholesale are not implementing contention - if you
subscribe to a 50:1 service you will get more like 15:1 in reallity

Hi Sunil,

Really ? I'd like to see the evidence behind that.

I've been speaking to one of the lead tech's at BTWholesale today
co-incidently, and tried to get more information about contention out
of him. Considering he was _very_ open about other aspects, he was
_very_ cagey about contention (or as you say, _lack_ of contention).

--
Andy Jenkins
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net
Old December 6th 03, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 02:27:16 -0800, David wrote:

I'm thinking of signing up for Metronet as they offer quite an attractive
package for a relatively low useage user.

They operate a 50:1 contention ratio, now I roughly understand what this
means, but wondered if this means I'll share a pipe with 49 other Metronet
users, or 49 other users (any ISP) at my exchange.

David Bevan

I would not worry too much, been on Metronet for over a month now and very
pleased with speed and overall service.

Usual Disclaimer
Dave