(Newbie) ADSL insallation

Old December 5th 03, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reboot

Default (Newbie) ADSL insallation

Hi,
BT are converting my ISDN to ADSL on the 17th of December (I thought I would
never be saying that) and I've got a couple of issues to clear up first.
Firstly, the main phone socket is downstairs and the ISDN box is upstairs by
the computer. When BT do the conversion and assuming that my line is good
enough for ADSL etc will there still be a box in the bedroom which I plug my
modem into or will I need to run a cable downstairs to the main socket? And
secondly, if I do need to run a cable downstairs what type of cable do I
need exactly?
Cheers,
Gareth

Old December 5th 03, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Hatfield

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 17:44:16 -0000, "Reboot" wrote:

BT are converting my ISDN to ADSL on the 17th of December (I thought I would

I did this and the mess took nearly a year to clear up.

ISDN is classed as a business service. When the line was converted
to analogue, so ADSL could be added, it was put on a business tariff,
not a residential one. Which is much more expensive.

So I should contact your proposed ISP in writing and stress that you
want the converted line to be on a residential tariff (assuming you
do of course).

--
Jim Hatfield
Old December 5th 03, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Reboot wrote:
Hi,
BT are converting my ISDN to ADSL on the 17th of December (I
thought I would never be saying that) and I've got a couple of
issues to clear up first. Firstly, the main phone socket is
downstairs and the ISDN box is upstairs by the computer. When BT
do the conversion and assuming that my line is good enough for ADSL
etc will there still be a box in the bedroom which I plug my modem
into or will I need to run a cable downstairs to the main socket?
And secondly, if I do need to run a cable downstairs what type of
cable do I need exactly?
Cheers,
Gareth

Are you changing from a BT Highway or a 'vanilla' ISDN???

If it is a straight ISDN then you will lose the ISDN box & get a NTE5A
in it's place, the socket downstairs has nothing to do with it.

If it's a Highway, then it may...

Old December 5th 03, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Stevenson

Reboot wrote:
Hi,
BT are converting my ISDN to ADSL on the 17th of December (I thought
I would never be saying that) and I've got a couple of issues to
clear up first. Firstly, the main phone socket is downstairs and the
ISDN box is upstairs by the computer. When BT do the conversion and
assuming that my line is good enough for ADSL etc will there still be
a box in the bedroom which I plug my modem into or will I need to run
a cable downstairs to the main socket? And secondly, if I do need to
run a cable downstairs what type of cable do I need exactly?
Cheers,
Gareth

The engineer will fit a new face plate to your NTE5 (main phone socket) &
remove the NTE9 (Big ISDN box with 2 PSTN sockets & 2 ISDN sockets)...
Assuming your NTE5 is downstairs & the NTE9 is upstairs, you're going to
need an extension run to the PC for your ADSL filter to plug into, 'cos the
man in blue uniform is going to run off with your NTE9.

HTH.

Old December 6th 03, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Andy Stevenson wrote:
Reboot wrote:
[...]

_IF_ you smile sweetly at him he may leave enough of the cable
connecting your NTE5 to the 9 so that _you_ can easily use it for an
extension, which you will need...

Old December 6th 03, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reboot

The engineer will fit a new face plate to your NTE5 (main phone
socket) & remove the NTE9 (Big ISDN box with 2 PSTN sockets & 2
ISDN sockets)... Assuming your NTE5 is downstairs & the NTE9 is
upstairs, you're going to need an extension run to the PC for your
ADSL filter to plug into, 'cos the man in blue uniform is going to
run off with your NTE9.

_IF_ you smile sweetly at him he may leave enough of the cable
connecting your NTE5 to the 9 so that _you_ can easily use it for an
extension, which you will need...

Thanks everyone, so all I need is a cable with an RJ11 on each end?

Old December 6th 03, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Reboot wrote:
The engineer will fit a new face plate to your NTE5 (main phone
socket) & remove the NTE9 (Big ISDN box with 2 PSTN sockets & 2
ISDN sockets)... Assuming your NTE5 is downstairs & the NTE9 is
upstairs, you're going to need an extension run to the PC for your
ADSL filter to plug into, 'cos the man in blue uniform is going to
run off with your NTE9.

_IF_ you smile sweetly at him he may leave enough of the cable
connecting your NTE5 to the 9 so that _you_ can easily use it for
an extension, which you will need...

Thanks everyone, so all I need is a cable with an RJ11 on each end?

Why???? Your modem should have one already...

Old December 6th 03, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ste-bar

"Reboot" wrote in message
The engineer will fit a new face plate to your NTE5 (main phone
socket) & remove the NTE9 (Big ISDN box with 2 PSTN sockets & 2
ISDN sockets)... Assuming your NTE5 is downstairs & the NTE9 is
upstairs, you're going to need an extension run to the PC for your
ADSL filter to plug into, 'cos the man in blue uniform is going to
run off with your NTE9.

_IF_ you smile sweetly at him he may leave enough of the cable
connecting your NTE5 to the 9 so that _you_ can easily use it for an
extension, which you will need...

Thanks everyone, so all I need is a cable with an RJ11 on each end?

No, the BT engineer will remove the HH box in your bedroom that is next to your computer,
and will not replace it with anything. But hopefully, as mentioned in an earlier reply,
he will leave behind the existing internal cable that runs between your main BT box (NTE5)
and your bedroom.

This cable will need a Secondary Line Jack box connecting at the end of the cable that is
in your bedroom. Downstairs at the other end of the cable, it will need connecting
correctly inside the main BT box. (NTE5)

You have now provided a DIY extension telephone socket in your bedroom in which you can
plug in an ADSL filter. Into this filter you now plug your RJ11 modem cable - which will
normally be supplied with your modem. You can also plug an extension telephone if you
wish into the same ADSL filter.

Steve B.

---
Steve Barlow's outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Old December 6th 03, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob { Goddard }

ste-bar wrote:

"Reboot" wrote in message
The engineer will fit a new face plate to your NTE5 (main phone
socket) & remove the NTE9 (Big ISDN box with 2 PSTN sockets & 2
ISDN sockets)... Assuming your NTE5 is downstairs & the NTE9 is
upstairs, you're going to need an extension run to the PC for your
ADSL filter to plug into, 'cos the man in blue uniform is going to
run off with your NTE9.

_IF_ you smile sweetly at him he may leave enough of the cable
connecting your NTE5 to the 9 so that _you_ can easily use it for an
extension, which you will need...

Thanks everyone, so all I need is a cable with an RJ11 on each end?

No, the BT engineer will remove the HH box in your bedroom that is next to
your computer,
and will not replace it with anything. But hopefully, as mentioned in an

Not always the case. For me he replaced it with another master socket.

http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/
http://www.ibrox.demon.co.uk/