Removed DACS unit and still only 28.8k???

Old December 5th 03, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SalesGuy

Default Removed DACS unit and still only 28.8k???

Supposed to have had the DACS unit removed this week (the engineer showed
the wife the box he took out!) but I can still only get 28.8k on my dial up.

Any suggestions? BT have said they will increase the gain on the line but
they only have to provide 28.8k and no more!!!!

Now - the reason why I am posting this to a b/band ng - I am supposed to be
activated for BT ADSL on the 16th - is the fact that I get a poor speed
going to be an issue with my b/band?

Anyone know any shortcuts through the interminable BT voicemail hell??!!

TIA

SalesGuy

Old December 6th 03, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"SalesGuy" wrote in message
Supposed to have had the DACS unit removed this week (the engineer showed
the wife the box he took out!) but I can still only get 28.8k on my dial

up.

Any suggestions? BT have said they will increase the gain on the line but
they only have to provide 28.8k and no more!!!!

Now - the reason why I am posting this to a b/band ng - I am supposed to

be
activated for BT ADSL on the 16th - is the fact that I get a poor speed
going to be an issue with my b/band?

Dial up speed will make no difference to your ADSL connection.

I presume the DACS box was removed by BT automatically as part of your ADSL
order?

If you are going to be using ADSL in future, I woudn't worry about 28.8K -
its only for a week

Regards
Sunil

Old December 6th 03, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Brougham

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 22:07:24 -0000, "SalesGuy" wrote:

Now - the reason why I am posting this to a b/band ng - I am supposed to be
activated for BT ADSL on the 16th - is the fact that I get a poor speed
going to be an issue with my b/band?

Shouldn't be a prob. I have only ever got 26/28K or 33K (whoo hoo!) on a
v.good day on dial-up despite being 1Km line length from the exchange -
even after BT installed new drop wires and sorted out no end of reliability
problems on the line - but the dsl works just fine for me. It even worked
without probs for over a week with a broken wire between house and pole.
No analogue service at all but dsl OK. Not exactly sure how/why but
impressed all the same - which is more than can be said about BT who took
almost 2 wks to fix the damn fault despite being given positive proof of a
break or iffy joint on the line. Grrrrrrrr.

Anyone know any shortcuts through the interminable BT voicemail hell??!!

in a word ........ no :-( Even if you get hold of a direct number through
to engineering or whatever, they dont answer the call. All you get is some
dumb blonde bint whose total knowledge about telecoms extends to
understanding that if you put the thing to your ear you can hear voices !
Oooops, a lil non-pc methinks but it kinda sums up my experience :-)

--
Mike
Old December 6th 03, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Pilbeam

"SalesGuy" wrote in message
Supposed to have had the DACS unit removed this week (the engineer

showed
the wife the box he took out!) but I can still only get 28.8k on my

dial up.

Any suggestions? BT have said they will increase the gain on the line

but
they only have to provide 28.8k and no more!!!!

Now - the reason why I am posting this to a b/band ng - I am supposed

to be
activated for BT ADSL on the 16th - is the fact that I get a poor

speed
going to be an issue with my b/band?

Anyone know any shortcuts through the interminable BT voicemail

hell??!!

TIA

SalesGuy

What is the make/model of your dial up modem ???

Old December 6th 03, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SalesGuy

"Steven Pilbeam" wrote in message

"SalesGuy" wrote in message
Supposed to have had the DACS unit removed this week (the engineer

showed
the wife the box he took out!) but I can still only get 28.8k on my

dial up.

Any suggestions? BT have said they will increase the gain on the line

but
they only have to provide 28.8k and no more!!!!

Now - the reason why I am posting this to a b/band ng - I am supposed

to be
activated for BT ADSL on the 16th - is the fact that I get a poor

speed
going to be an issue with my b/band?

Anyone know any shortcuts through the interminable BT voicemail

hell??!!

TIA

SalesGuy

What is the make/model of your dial up modem ???

Intel 536EP v.92

SalesGuy

Old December 6th 03, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"SalesGuy" wrote in message
What is the make/model of your dial up modem ???

Intel 536EP v.92

Is that one of those cheap Ebuyer modems? The model certainly sounds
similar.

If so, use the correct drivers on the cd - don't download the update from
Windows Update.

I had a problem with connection speeds on a machine I upgrading and traced
it back to this..

Regards
Sunil

Old December 7th 03, 02:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil McKerracher

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"SalesGuy" wrote in message
What is the make/model of your dial up modem ???

Intel 536EP v.92

Is that one of those cheap Ebuyer modems? The model certainly sounds
similar.

If so, use the correct drivers on the cd - don't download the update from
Windows Update.

I had a problem with connection speeds on a machine I upgrading and traced
it back to this..

Seconded. There are a lot of crappy modems out there - borrow a different
model and try that if you can. Also try dialling different ISPs.

A little-known property of DACS is that it can actually *improve* connection
speeds on some lines.

--
Phil McKerracher
www.mckerracher.org

Old December 7th 03, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jamie

dsl is a bit happier with a bad quality line, not like highway or isdn(grrr)
which will drop out at a crackle then park up. coz it works on freq not
digi.
"Phil McKerracher" wrote in message
news

Old December 7th 03, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

jamie wrote:
dsl is a bit happier with a bad quality line, not like highway or
isdn(grrr) which will drop out at a crackle then park up. coz it
works on freq not digi.

But noise spikes can (normally will) cause problems with the
connection