no mails out with bt broadband????

Old December 6th 03, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default no mails out with bt broadband????

In article ,
(Ian) wrote:

Crossbow wrote in message
On 5 Dec 2003 02:12:10 -0800,
(kidA) wrote:

I cannot send a message to either of my smtp email accounts whilst
using BT DSL. Incoming mail work fine.. I've checked account details
for smtp servers on both of my ISP accounts I know these are fine.
When I use my old 56k dial up through IC24 everything works.. very
annoying..

I'm using BT broadband, into a belkin dsl lan modem linked to a

belkin
wireless router.. it all worked fine for months.. then 2 days ago
outgoing emails just stopped..

Any ideas?

Welcome to the wonderful world of BT SMTP servers.

I was pulling my hair out with the same problem you had - support deny
all knowledge of any problems, it must be my setup, they said.

Then, all of a sudden, it started working again this morning.

My guess is that it's them Graham, not you.

You guess wrong. BTBB dont have any SMTP servers. and as long as your
ISP
lets you send via theirs from a connection that isnt theirown then you
can,
or you can run your SMTP server as I do but AOL wont accept mail from a
dynamic IP address, AOL is the only ISP I have found this problem with.
Its all to easy to blaim BT, Yes they do make mistakes but so do all the
others. BT do suffer from a lot of poorly informed users who blaim the
first
person they can. But before blaiming the first person you should check
all
possibles first. IE ISP, Your setting etc.

Ian

You can quite happily use mail.btinternet.com or mail.btopenworld.com from
BTB. It's not advertised, and it's not supported, but it does work. (I
use their news server too.)

- Steve