Is this all I need for wireless broadband?

Old December 6th 03, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default Is this all I need for wireless broadband?

I am about to signup for Metronets Broadband service, I would like to
set up a wireless network to access this and as far as I can see I
need the following bits of equipment...

A wireless network card for my laptop
http://www.planetmicro.co.uk/product...ckcode=M000109

A wireless router/modem
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...=48452&_LOC=UK

2 Micro filters.
http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/product_d...ef_site=kelkoo

....is this all I need and are the products that I have included links
for suitable?

Is there much difference between an expensive router/modem and cheap
one? It says it has one port, does this mean I could also connect one
other non wireless device? ie could I have the modem bit providing
wireless access to the internet and plug my printer into the other to
get wireless (from my laptop) printing?

Thanks for any help

David Bevan
http://www.davidbevan.co.uk
http://www.websphereusergroup.org.uk
Old December 6th 03, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"David" wrote in message
om...
...is this all I need and are the products that I have included links
for suitable?

Yes, thats all you need and they all appear suitable - though you could just
buy them all from the one supplier?

Is there much difference between an expensive router/modem and cheap
one?

Functionallity, Support etc sometimes

However, I believe the Ebuyer one is actually an Origo 8210 so you get
reasonable support from http://www.adsltech.com/

It says it has one port, does this mean I could also connect one
other non wireless device? ie could I have the modem bit providing
wireless access to the internet and plug my printer into the other to
get wireless (from my laptop) printing?

Normally it means you can plug in a wired PC to the extra port. Not sure
about a printer - try asking on the 8210's support forum at
http://adsltech.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=3

Regards
Sunil