newbie's adsl hardware

Old December 6th 03, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

Default newbie's adsl hardware

Goodbye to AOL dial-up and hello to Pipex ADSL!
I'm finally upgarding to ADSL and need some advice on the hardware i shall
require.

With my dial-up, i have a longish telephone extension cable running from the
main BT socket box (downstairs) to my room (upstairs).
This extension cable is 10m in length - just a cheap extension cable.
I'm planning on an internal ADSL PCI modem - the MRI IDSL01.
Can i simply plug the modem into the existing extension cable? (RJ11 plug
into the modem and RJ45 plug into the extension)
Does the ADSL modem require an extension cable that is maybe superior in
quality to my existing cheap extension cable? (I'm thinking about line noise
and cable quality)
I shall put a microfilter in the main BT socket box (downstairs) and so
would need an adaptor (RJ45 socket to RJ11 plug i think) to connect the
extension cable to the ADSL port on the microfilter.

Will the cheap extension with an adaptor on each end be likely to give me
problems??
Should i be looking at a superior quality extension lead - one that's
designed for ADSL usage?

Any help much appreciated.

Martin.

(Counting down to activation day 11/12/03!)

:-)

Old December 6th 03, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:35:53 -0000, "Martin" wrote:

[...]

I converted from ntl dial up to Pipex 1Mb last month and it is just
brilliant.

I went to a local PC shop and bought a purpose made ADSL cable made
by Belkin. Guy in the shop said my old phone extension cable may work
but the ADSL cable would give better results. It was 12 for a 15
meter cable that is slightly less thick than a CAT 5 network cable. It
is a coiled, woven steel-looking cable encased in a clear plastic
sheath and looks the business. Well worth the dosh.

Here is a picture of it
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=1 77&pcount=&Product_Id=71505&Section.Section_Path=% 2FCables%2FModem%2Fct_Id

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old December 6th 03, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...=&Section_Id=1
77&pcount=&Product_Id=71505&Section.Section_Path=% 2FCables%2FModem%2Fct_Id

Filthy Rich
Music House

Thanks for the reply.

I've just been into town and had a look in Dixon's - they're selling Belkin
High Speed Internet cables.
A 9.2m cable for 12.99. Gold plated contacts and a superior construction
than standard telephone extension cables.

Sounds like a good investment.

Martin.

Old December 6th 03, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
William Poaster

It was on Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:51:43 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
large jam doughnut, that Zapp Brannigan wrote:

Martin wrote:

Goodbye to AOL dial-up and hello to Pipex ADSL!

Nice to see you have made the step to the grown up internet....

Now all he has to do, is get AOHell out of his machine....

--
Linux User #: 305646.
SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
Old December 6th 03, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Martin
writes
I converted from ntl dial up to Pipex 1Mb last month and it is just
brilliant.

I went to a local PC shop and bought a purpose made ADSL cable made
by Belkin. Guy in the shop said my old phone extension cable may work
but the ADSL cable would give better results. It was 12 for a 15
meter cable that is slightly less thick than a CAT 5 network cable. It
is a coiled, woven steel-looking cable encased in a clear plastic
sheath and looks the business. Well worth the dosh.

Here is a picture of it

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...=&Section_Id=1
77&pcount=&Product_Id=71505&Section.Section_Path= %2FCables%2FModem%2Fct_Id

Filthy Rich

You'd have to be to buy Belkin.
Music House

Thanks for the reply.

I've just been into town and had a look in Dixon's - they're selling Belkin
High Speed Internet cables.
A 9.2m cable for 12.99. Gold plated contacts and a superior construction
than standard telephone extension cables.

Sounds like a good investment.

Remember the saying,
There's a good deal every time with a product bought from Dixons.
For Dixons
Martin.

Why don't you try it with the lead you already have before you go out
buying expensive fool's gold products.
--
Clint
Old December 6th 03, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Why don't you try it with the lead you already have before you go out
buying expensive fool's gold products.

...After all, the other 2 miles of line (or whatever) before it got to
your premises is probably plain copper / soldered joints.

Perhaps a few microns of gold on a pair of contacts will magically sort
out all the other nuances of the network before it gets to you :-p

Old December 7th 03, 07:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Why don't you try it with the lead you already have before you go out
buying expensive fool's gold products.

..After all, the other 2 miles of line (or whatever) before it got to
your premises is probably plain copper / soldered joints.

Perhaps a few microns of gold on a pair of contacts will magically sort
out all the other nuances of the network before it gets to you :-p

--

So maybe the high-speed cable is overkill.....

I'll try my existing extension and perhaps save myself a few quid then.

Thanks for all your comments.

Martin.

Old December 7th 03, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Thomas

In message , Martin
writes
I went to a local PC shop and bought a purpose made ADSL cable made
by Belkin. Guy in the shop said my old phone extension cable may work
but the ADSL cable would give better results. It was 12 for a 15
meter cable that is slightly less thick than a CAT 5 network cable. It
is a coiled, woven steel-looking cable encased in a clear plastic
sheath and looks the business. Well worth the dosh.

[]

Thanks for the reply.

I've just been into town and had a look in Dixon's - they're selling Belkin
High Speed Internet cables.
A 9.2m cable for 12.99. Gold plated contacts and a superior construction
than standard telephone extension cables.

Sounds like a good investment.

When I moved my kit to a different room I picked up a DIY telephone
extension kit from Hypervalue for under a fiver. It made no difference
to my connection speed, which is excellent. If you put a gold tip on a
10 foot copper rod it's still essentially a copper rod. Spend the money
on something more worthwhile, like a good quality filter.
--
Steve Thomas
Old December 7th 03, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 11:44 GMT,
Roderick Stewart wrote:

I have a filter unit I bought in Maplins plugged

Being nosey, how much did Maplin rip^Wcharge you for that ?
Also, is "abuse.plus.com" your account ? Peter M.
Old December 7th 03, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Niall

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 11:44:47 GMT, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

You will probably find that many of the places that sell expensive "high
speed broadband cables" with gold plated contacts all wrapped up in fancy
packaging also sell hi-fi equipment. That ought to be a clue. The hi-fi
industry is notorious for selling overpriced gimmicks to ignoramuses who
then claim to be able to hear a difference rather than admit they've been
conned.

They actually sell SPDIF digital audio cables with gold plated
connectors and "oxygen free cable", claiming it makes a difference -
to a digital signal!

--
Niall