call centre

Old December 6th 03, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jamie

Default call centre

this IS a very serious problem that WILL lead to wide range economic
problems, it now even look like the goverment is backing it??????

please visit this web site and suport, thanks

http://www.ourjobstoindia.co.uk/

Old December 6th 03, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

http://www.iwishyouwould****offtoindia.co.uk/

Spammers get no sympathy.

Old December 6th 03, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Have you tried getting support lately from Dell or BTopenworld, for
example??

I tried to report a fraud hosted within BTinternet's network a while ago,
on the only way I could think of that could have an almost immediate
effect - the 50p/min tech support line (it was a bank account detail
skimming scam)

The muppet who answered didn`t know how I could tell that the site was
hosted by them. I demanded to speak to his supervisor. I had to explain
to them step-by-step how to prove it by sending them via geektools.

Yes, i`ve been there. Yes, it stinks. I did however rattle enough cages
to get the situation resolved, and the site was down in under an hour.

I eventually got a refund for the cost of the call when I started to
email directors of BT, pointing out that I was potentially saving them a
lot of bad publicity for allowing a fraudulent site to operate after they
had been notified.

You may notice the effect that offloading support to india etc is having
to many of these companies - people are avoiding their products, and
their quality control is down the pan.

It may take a while, but they *will* learn their lesson, or will vanish
from the marketplace - at least in the western world !

Old December 7th 03, 01:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 23:48:05 -0000, Colin Wilson
wrote:

You may notice the effect that offloading support to india etc is having
to many of these companies - people are avoiding their products, and
their quality control is down the pan.

Out of interest, did you know that the average callcentre worker in
India has a degree (souce, the BBC last week), while the average
callcentre worker in the UK certainly doesn't. I wonder which set of
staff is more skilled? I wonder if perhaps a tinge of the R word is
rearing its ugly head?

Old December 7th 03, 02:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

You may notice the effect that offloading support to india etc is having
to many of these companies - people are avoiding their products, and
their quality control is down the pan.

Out of interest, did you know that the average callcentre worker in
India has a degree (souce, the BBC last week), while the average
callcentre worker in the UK certainly doesn't. I wonder which set of
staff is more skilled?

To be fair, although I don`t have a degree (did a HNC and some City &
Guilds), the educational standards in this country have now dropped so
low that I don`t think a degree is worth the paper its written on half
the time. Other academic achievements controlled by a governing body made
up from the industry they work within are excepted from this comment, ie.
accountancy courses - they set their own standards and do not pander to
government whims to "improve results"

ISTR the pass rate for one subject at AS level was recently "outed" as
being something like 16% - almost at the level where you need to get your
name wrong on the paper to fail !

I am not denigrating the obvious skills of the indian workforce, just the
present integration into the western world as a cheap dumping ground for
call centres. The language barrier is a major hurdle, but even taking
that into account, I acknowledge that their english is often better than
that of native british youngsters. This is a growing problem, and central
to the educational abilities of our "next generation".

I work for a multi-national company. Despite having offices in the same
country, it is almost a complete waste of time trying to talk to someone
in another region due to the language barrier - we use different
terminology, and accents make conversation nigh on impossible...

I fully support the needs of the customer being able to speak to someone
they can communicate with on several levels.

I just hate spam, hence my original abusive reply.

For what its worth, I got a useful reply from a chap in India about a
problem I was having reinstalling a driver for a HP printer. His solution
was fairly obviously a cut and paste job, but it did the trick - I would
prefer to see more effort going in to creating proper drivers though !
(the driver didn`t uninstall all the registry entries it originally
created, so a failed install f*cks the machine up royally, and you won`t
be able to reinstall until you delete certain "additional" entries)

I wonder if perhaps a tinge of the R word is rearing its ugly head?

`fraid you`ll have to spell this one out for me.

Old December 7th 03, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 02:55:18 +0000, AceMan wrote:

While it is true that our Indian call-centre counterparts are indeed
more qualified, the problem is that they are not always that familiar
with the product(s)/service(s) they are supposed to be offering
support for.

This is unfortunately equally true of UK call centres. Anyone phoned
ntl support recently? ahahahahahahahah.

It's hard enough getting an English call-centre op to solve a problem
these days without having language/cultural differences adding to the
problem.

I read somewhere that Indian callcentre workers are sent on english
courses, not because they need to learn the language, they speak it
better than we do, but to learn the /accent/ and /culture/.

For example, just last week I had cause to take up a simple email
issue with BTopenworld and it took 8 emails back and forth to explain
EXACTLY what the problem was as the Support reps didn't fully
understand the terminologies I was using (I'm in IT Support myself so
they were nothing out of the ordinary).

This is sadly because most support teams consist of either
a) fresh recruits with zero knowledge hoping to escape support soon
and into some interesting work, and who leave as soon as they have
enough knowledge to be useful
b) bozos who still dont have any knowledge and now have no hope of
escaping and therefore don't give two hoots
c) managers hoping that they'll be moved elswhere real soon now (tm)

Old December 7th 03, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

It's hard enough getting an English call-centre op to solve a problem
these days without having language/cultural differences adding to the
problem.

My point exactly, as made in a previous post

Old December 7th 03, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

wrote:

You may notice the effect that offloading support to india etc is having
to many of these companies - people are avoiding their products, and
their quality control is down the pan.

Out of interest, did you know that the average callcentre worker in
India has a degree (souce, the BBC last week), while the average
callcentre worker in the UK certainly doesn't. I wonder which set of
staff is more skilled? I wonder if perhaps a tinge of the R word is
rearing its ugly head?

it's nothing to do with racism.....

IF I have to pay to call someone then I expect the call to be VERY
fast and VERY easy to perform. Neither is true if I'm speaking to
someone who can only speak broken English with a bad accent and cannot
even remotely understand my Welsh accent.

On the other hand of course I hate being on hold for 45 minutes
listening to a "your call is important to us" message :P

Old December 7th 03, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Niall

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 02:55:18 +0000, AceMan wrote:

For example, just last week I had cause to take up a simple email
issue with BTopenworld and it took 8 emails back and forth to explain
EXACTLY what the problem was as the Support reps didn't fully
understand the terminologies I was using (I'm in IT Support myself so
they were nothing out of the ordinary).

Normally, I would have had an English Support rep simply give me a
default reply which wouldn't have answered my question anyway, but on
this occasion I had to explain the problem a number of times just so
that they could understand my problem and THEN reply with the default
useless response.

I've had a similar experience with various email support addresses.
Minimum seems to be 1 email explaining the problem followed by a reply
completely ignoring what was written requiring a followup reiterating
the problem which then gets a sensible reply. That's the best case.

What often happens is the second email is followed by a deafening
silence because they don't have a solution.

Then there's the outfits whose first response is a standard email
pointing you to a website FAQ which doesn't answer your question, and
which you have already read and refferred to in your email.

--
Niall
Old December 7th 03, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

On the other hand of course I hate being on hold for 45 minutes
listening to a "your call is important to us" message :P

I must agree with that point ! - I reckon any company that keeps you on
hold for more than 5 minutes should call you back, or offer a freephone
number.