broadband from £15.99 a month

Old December 6th 03, 02:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Jones

Default broadband from £15.99 a month

we need sales people to sell it

http://www.happy.yourteambuilder.com

Old December 6th 03, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bat Guano

Pete Jones wrote:
we need sales people to sell it

http://www.yourteambuilder.com

YourTeamBuilder has been developed by YourTeamBuilder.com on behalf of
Tiscali Network Independent Business Associates as an optional internet
contacting tool to support Tiscali IBAs build their business. Sole
responsibility for YourTeamBuilder including billing, technical issues
and ongoing support rests with YourTeamBuilder.com, and any questions or
queries relating to the YourTeamBuilder system, should be directed to
.

Old December 11th 03, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
a2z

Half speed broadband for not half price?
Why bother when I can get full speed no minimum contract broadband for just
25 quid a month that has saved me over £4,000.00 on my gas mobile and
electricity bill, not to mention chopping 80% off my BT bill and a freephone
number for a couple of quid each month!
John

Old December 11th 03, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:30:14 -0000, "a2z" wrote:

full speed no minimum contract broadband for just 25 quid a month that
has saved me over £4,000.00 on my gas mobile and electricity bill, not
to mention chopping 80% off my BT bill and a freephone number for a
couple of quid each month!

I guess if you've saved 4,000 pounds you won't mind paying for the 0800
but there are others with no standing charges. As for lower speed ADSL
there are some for whom the speed isn't so important as ability to stay
online for checking e-mail etc, and stil use the phone. Not everyone's
needs are identical, so some may be happy to pay that bit less. Peter.
Old December 13th 03, 02:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Martin² wrote:
I have just discovered that PlusNet is actually re-selling Tiscali's 150k
service !
Would be OK as it is £1 cheaper, BUT the connection fee is whopping £70.50
as opposed to
Tiscali's £25 and that includes a modem !

I think the modem supplied with these "all inclusive" accounts is usually a
USB mode. Some people may prefer to buy their own, so they can easily use
several computers. Or they may have already bought one.

I can see why PlusNet want to have cheaper 'DSL connect' service, but the
connection pricing is uncompetitive.

Not necessarily. In the long term, it's the running costs that make the
difference. The startup cost only really affects the first year, which in
reality will be the first of many.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Rod.

Old December 13th 03, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Albrow

"Martin²" wrote in message
I have just discovered that PlusNet is actually re-selling Tiscali's 150k
service !

Why? seems really silly considering they have their own network.

Would be OK as it is £1 cheaper, BUT the connection fee is whopping £70.50
as opposed to
Tiscali's £25 and that includes a modem !

Hmm who wouldn't pay 18.99 or whatever it is for plusnet (or £21.99 for the
full service) giving the full 512k and all the other good features of
plusnet.

I can see why PlusNet want to have cheaper 'DSL connect' service, but the
connection pricing is uncompetitive.

Indeed, I would have thought that they could have used their own network, on
the other hand I doubt very much that there are any considerable savings for
the ISP in offering a lower speed product than 512 anyway as the same setup,
hardware, services, billing, support etc is needed.

Sam
Regards,
Martin

---
Sent from \\STN1 on HOMENET1 by user Sam Albrow 'Administrator'.

Old December 14th 03, 03:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

"Sam Albrow" wrote in message

"Martin²" wrote in message
I have just discovered that PlusNet is actually re-selling Tiscali's

150k
service !

Why? seems really silly considering they have their own network.

They are reselling Tiscali's wholesale _Datastream_ service for this service
not IPstream which is certainly what my ADSL from them is. Tiscali's B2B
service provides the backend networks to about 500 brand as a mix of other
ISPs (such as plusnet) and VISPs fully provided by them.

Would be OK as it is £1 cheaper, BUT the connection fee is whopping

£70.50
as opposed to
Tiscali's £25 and that includes a modem !

But I wouldn't use Tiscali to readily as my ISP... as a company the don't
have an exactly wonderful reputation for customer care and I had experiance
of them as a dialup provider (briefly)

Hmm who wouldn't pay 18.99 or whatever it is for plusnet (or £21.99 for

the
full service) giving the full 512k and all the other good features of
plusnet.

Well I would be tempted to do a cease and reprovide if it is going to save
me £84 per year as I really couldn't give a damn about having a 512k
service, what is more important to me is the fact that it is always on, all
I do is surf the web and download emails and text newsgroup traffic. I
intend to let them get it well bedded down, make sure Tiscali's network is
reliable etc before I consider it further and also see how pricing and
regrading pans out.

I can see why PlusNet want to have cheaper 'DSL connect' service, but

the
connection pricing is uncompetitive.

Indeed, I would have thought that they could have used their own network,

on
the other hand I doubt very much that there are any considerable savings

for
the ISP in offering a lower speed product than 512 anyway as the same

setup,
hardware, services, billing, support etc is needed.

But their are possibly savings over providing a FRIACO service which is the
market that this is targeted at primarily as the contention work on a
real-time basis not a per call basis where you have to operate a much lower
contention. The NTL 150k cable modem market has something like 500,000
users... this is obviously a market that cable user demand, up until
recently wasn't available to BT customers, people want a low hassle,
convenient service that they don't have to dial up to if they just wish to
use the web and email it is perfectly fast enough.

Old December 14th 03, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Martin² wrote:
In the long term, it's the running costs that make the
difference. The startup cost only really affects the first year, which in
reality will be the first of many.

Yes, but in this case it would take your 45.5 months of £1 PlusNet savings
before you are equal
with Tiscali and that doesn't even consider the price of the modem !

Fair comment, but there are other factors too. What sort of modem are Tiscali
giving away "free", for instance? Is it a proper router with firewall and the
capability of expansion to several computers, or is it a USB device that only
connects to one? Do they include the cost of firewall software that would be
necessary in the absence of one in the modem? In my experience, if you buy
something cheap that will only just do, you end up replacing it at some point
with the better quality and more adaptable device you should have bought in the
first place. "Buy it cheap, buy it twice".

Also, once Tiscali have got you on their system, what are the possible upgrade
paths to other services, should you require them, and what do they cost? A
quick look at the relevant websites shows that Plusnet has four domestic
broadband options, up to 1Mb bandwidth, while Tiscali has three options going
up to 512kb, and they're all more expensive. The Tiscali website has a handy
comparison chart showing the prices charged by some of their competitors, but I
notice that Plusnet is not on it.

Rod.