BT say I'm too far from the exchange

Old December 6th 03, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Robinson

Default BT say I'm too far from the exchange

OK, this week I moved into a flat in Docklands, within walking distance of
the financial capital of Europe and the location of Britain's internet links
with the rest of the world.

Naturally I thought I would be in an ideal ADSL area. Yet BT claim I'm too
far from my exchange, which would put me further than 6km from my exchange.
The BT website claims my exchange is Poplar. Poplar is about 2km north of
here.

If my address really is too far from Poplar telephone exchange, then so is
the rest of the Isle of Dogs. If that is true, then it means that the people
in 2 square km of prime business and residential area can't get ADSL either.

Are BT telling me rubbish, or have I missed something? I could get
high-speed internet by putting an Ethernet cable through my window and
connecting to a nearby office, but I would have though that ADSL was more
likely.

--
Tim Robinson (MVP, Windows SDK)
http://www.themobius.co.uk/

Old December 6th 03, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Tim Robinson" wrote in message
Naturally I thought I would be in an ideal ADSL area. Yet BT claim I'm too
far from my exchange, which would put me further than 6km from my

exchange.
The BT website claims my exchange is Poplar. Poplar is about 2km north of
here.

If my address really is too far from Poplar telephone exchange, then so is
the rest of the Isle of Dogs. If that is true, then it means that the

people
in 2 square km of prime business and residential area can't get ADSL

either.

Are BT telling me rubbish, or have I missed something?

Its not "line distance" thats the problem, regardless of what your ISP says
but "line quality"

Try asking them for the test result readings line loss - it might just
be your line or your whole areas may be affected.

I presume you tried for the 512K service?

Regards
Sunil

Old December 6th 03, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Robinson

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
Are BT telling me rubbish, or have I missed something?

Its not "line distance" thats the problem, regardless of what your ISP

says
but "line quality"

Try asking them for the test result readings line loss - it might just
be your line or your whole areas may be affected.

Thanks, that should give me something to go on. It would certainly make more
sense.

I presume you tried for the 512K service?

I assume so -- I just went through the Broadband link at bt.com and entered
my phone number.

Old December 6th 03, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Tim Robinson" wrote in message
Try asking them for the test result readings line loss - it might

just
be your line or your whole areas may be affected.

Thanks, that should give me something to go on. It would certainly make

more
sense.

Its easier to explain "distance" to customers than "line loss"

I presume you tried for the 512K service?

I assume so -- I just went through the Broadband link at bt.com and

entered
my phone number.

You will need to choose an ISP (depending on your needs) and actually apply
for the service before they carry out a proper test - the BT Wholesale
checker at http://www.bt.com/broadband is just an estimate.

Apply and see if you pass/fail - if you do try and get the line readings..
there may be 1/2 other things you could try then.

Regards
Sunil
PS smaller ISP's are sometimes more forthcoming with those figures if you do
fail..