Fixed IP Address & Aceex(Ebuyer) AR41 Router

Old December 6th 03, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chalkie

Default Fixed IP Address & Aceex(Ebuyer) AR41 Router

Is anyone using this router with a fixed IP address & can succesfully ping
it from a remote machine ? Mine doesnt seem to respond to remote pings &
I'm wondering if I have it configured correctly. Is there an option for
enabling/disabling its ability to respond to pings ?

Thanks

Old December 6th 03, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Is anyone using this router with a fixed IP address & can succesfully ping
it from a remote machine ? Mine doesnt seem to respond to remote pings &
I'm wondering if I have it configured correctly. Is there an option for
enabling/disabling its ability to respond to pings ?

I`m not on a fixed IP address, but I use a dynamic address to connect to
VNC etc remotely with an AR41.

I think they`re normally designed so that they will only listen to
traffic they were expecting, so if you had an application that sent a
request for information, it would allow the "returning" data in.
Likewise, if you had a port forwarded and a corresponding server on your
machine, you will get through.

All other "noise" is dropped and ignored.

You may be able to forward a port to allow the ping to respond, but i`m
not sure which one. This would tell every hacker and his dog your system
existed.

Old December 6th 03, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 6 Dec 2003 20:37, "Chalkie" wrote:

Mine doesnt seem to respond to remote pings &
I'm wondering if I have it configured correctly.

If you've changed anything, it is showing pings now, as well as
10% packet loss (hope you weren't in the middle of some game!)
Old December 7th 03, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chalkie

My ultimate aim is to enable remote management of the router so I've set up
what I think are the appropriate entries in the configuration & enabled
remote HTTP & Telnet management & when I found that I couldnt log in from a
remote pc I tried to ping the router. It didnt respond to that, hence my
original post.

t...

&

Old December 7th 03, 08:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chalkie

Peter,

I'm not posting from a pc behind the offending router.

.net...

Old December 7th 03, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

My ultimate aim is to enable remote management of the router so I've set up
what I think are the appropriate entries in the configuration & enabled
remote HTTP & Telnet management & when I found that I couldnt log in from a
remote pc I tried to ping the router. It didnt respond to that, hence my
original post.

I would be wary about allowing remote access to router settings - how
often would you need to change them ?

If you only need to do this occasionally, would you be better getting
someone to run a VNC server within the network you want to alter, so you
can make the changes then close the VNC server down yourself ?

Old December 7th 03, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chalkie

Colin,
Thanks for the advice but I'm setting up the router for a game-playing
friend who is not very technically minded. I want to do it this way so that
I can set up port-forwarding etc without having to trek to his house to do
it.

Old December 7th 03, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Thanks for the advice but I'm setting up the router for a game-playing
friend who is not very technically minded. I want to do it this way so that
I can set up port-forwarding etc without having to trek to his house to do
it.

Great, so at least you`ll know someone will be in to run VNC... i`d
definitely go that route to be honest, and then you can admin the router
"locally" from his machine without leaving your house :-)

Old December 7th 03, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chalkie

Colin,
Thanks, I'll give your suggestion a try but Im still puzzled by the fact
that there is an option to manage the router via the internet and yet we
have to use a convoluted way of achieving the same result

Old December 8th 03, 02:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 23:13:27 -0000, "Chalkie" wrote:

Thanks, I'll give your suggestion a try but Im still puzzled by the fact
that there is an option to manage the router via the internet and yet we
have to use a convoluted way of achieving the same result

You don't, but it is a lot safer (the PC running VNC can have a software
firewall restricting which remote IP(s) are allowed to access it, so it
can limit the chance of hackers using VNC, and then from the PC, making
a connection to the router is safe. The router might not restrict the
IP address for internet connections (I know some do, but not all) so it
leaves the router as a target, especially of you don't change from the
default port (80) for control over the router... give someone a way in
and they'll perhaps have tools to mount a sledgehammer attack to break
in... OK, they might find out little, but it could be annoying to find
PCs on the LAN locked out of internet access (something I think this
router can do). Peter M.