Changing ADSL provider.

Old December 7th 03, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Harvey

Default Changing ADSL provider.

Hi,

I am currently considering moving my ADSL account to a new ISP. I have
been told, however, that the process to do this requires me to cancel my
existing ISP account and ask them to make sure that BT to clear down the
connection so no ADSL is associated with the line. I then need to open
my new account which can take up to two weeks to activate. This means
that I will have no connection for up to two weeks. I am told that this
is a BT issue and not an ISP issue. Can anyone confirm that this is
true, or am I being fed a line to make someone's life easier?

Thanks,
Tom.
--
Tom Harvey____________________________________________ _______________
http://www.harveyzone.com/ Home: tom(a)harveyzone.com
Old December 7th 03, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin White

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 10:25:50 +0000, Tom Harvey
wrote:

Hi,

I am currently considering moving my ADSL account to a new ISP. I have
been told, however, that the process to do this requires me to cancel my
existing ISP account and ask them to make sure that BT to clear down the
connection so no ADSL is associated with the line. I then need to open
my new account which can take up to two weeks to activate. This means
that I will have no connection for up to two weeks. I am told that this
is a BT issue and not an ISP issue. Can anyone confirm that this is
true, or am I being fed a line to make someone's life easier?

Thanks,
Tom.

No can ask fo the line to be migrated. You get the CBUK number for
your line off your existing ISP, you then give that and the phone
number of the line it aplies to, to your new ISP.

Your new ISP, BT and your old ISP will then agree a date for the
migration, so there should be very little outage.

However a word of warning, as I see you are posting from a Demon
address and so I assume they are your ISP. I recently (26th November)
migrated my ADSL line from Demon to another ISP. All went to schedule
(almost), however Demon are still insisting on billing me for the ADSL
connection after it has been migrated.

Apprarently disconnecting the line is not good enough reason not not
keep billing me for it. Several emails, phone calls, faxes, and one
recorded delivery letter later and they still refuse to acknowledge
the fact that the disconnection of the line means they should stop
billing me for it (In fact I received another bill yesterday).

So as it's Demon you're dealing with I would cancel the line and then
start up a new one with your new ISP. Trouble is that could mean a
break in service of months!

Regards,
Martin

--

martin @ mgw (dot) org (dot) uk.
Old December 7th 03, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"Tom Harvey" wrote in message
Hi,

I am currently considering moving my ADSL account to a new ISP. I have
been told, however, that the process to do this requires me to cancel my
existing ISP account and ask them to make sure that BT to clear down the
connection so no ADSL is associated with the line. I then need to open
my new account which can take up to two weeks to activate. This means
that I will have no connection for up to two weeks. I am told that this
is a BT issue and not an ISP issue. Can anyone confirm that this is
true, or am I being fed a line to make someone's life easier?

Thanks,
Tom.
--
Tom Harvey____________________________________________ _______________
http://www.harveyzone.com/ Home: tom(a)harveyzone.com

Tom

The "seamless" change of ISP is called migration.
Hopefully loss of service 1 hour.
Some ISPs support it some don't.
You need to let this group know who is your old and new ISP.
Then hopefully somebody will give you a more definitive answer.
You have to migrate to the same package - you cannot go from
512K to 1M at the same time (at least at present).
You could try googling this group for "migrate" or "migration".

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old December 7th 03, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Harvey

In message , Martin White
writes
wrote:

[...]

Strangely, I am thinking of moving TO demon in order to consolidate my
TAM dial up account with an ADSL account (don't ask - I have my
reasons!) Although I have never been affected by it, I am very aware of
their billing problems that have been reported.

Apprarently disconnecting the line is not good enough reason not not
keep billing me for it. Several emails, phone calls, faxes, and one
recorded delivery letter later and they still refuse to acknowledge
the fact that the disconnection of the line means they should stop
billing me for it (In fact I received another bill yesterday).

So as it's Demon you're dealing with I would cancel the line and then
start up a new one with your new ISP. Trouble is that could mean a
break in service of months!

thanks for the advice - I am still not quite deceided upon my course of
actions.
Old December 7th 03, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Harvey

In message , Eric
Parker writes
"Tom Harvey" wrote in message
Hi,

I am currently considering moving my ADSL account to a new ISP. I have
been told, however, that the process to do this requires me to cancel my
existing ISP account and ask them to make sure that BT to clear down the
connection so no ADSL is associated with the line. I then need to open
my new account which can take up to two weeks to activate. This means
that I will have no connection for up to two weeks. I am told that this
is a BT issue and not an ISP issue. Can anyone confirm that this is
true, or am I being fed a line to make someone's life easier?

The "seamless" change of ISP is called migration.
Hopefully loss of service 1 hour.
Some ISPs support it some don't.

I suspected this to be the case.

You need to let this group know who is your old and new ISP.
Then hopefully somebody will give you a more definitive answer.
You have to migrate to the same package - you cannot go from
512K to 1M at the same time (at least at present).

I was planing on moving from Zen to Demon to consolidate an existing
Demon TAM dial up account that I have used for many years with a new
ADSL account from Zen (some might use the terms 'frying pan' and 'fire',
but I have my reasons!!). Both would be standard 512k RADSL services. It
was a Demon rep who told me that this was the process.

You could try googling this group for "migrate" or "migration".

Thanks - I will have a try.

Tom.
Old December 7th 03, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Tom Harvey" wrote in message
I was planing on moving from Zen to Demon to consolidate an existing
Demon TAM dial up account that I have used for many years with a new
ADSL account from Zen (some might use the terms 'frying pan' and 'fire',
but I have my reasons!!). Both would be standard 512k RADSL services. It
was a Demon rep who told me that this was the process.

I believe both Zen and Demon support migration - try asking Zen.

Good luck - Demon don't have the best reputation ADSL

Regards
Sunil

Old December 7th 03, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Muir

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:57:25 GMT, Martin White wrote:

[snip]

However a word of warning, as I see you are posting from a Demon
address and so I assume they are your ISP. I recently (26th November)
migrated my ADSL line from Demon to another ISP. All went to schedule
(almost), however Demon are still insisting on billing me for the ADSL
connection after it has been migrated.

Apprarently disconnecting the line is not good enough reason not not
keep billing me for it. Several emails, phone calls, faxes, and one
recorded delivery letter later and they still refuse to acknowledge
the fact that the disconnection of the line means they should stop
billing me for it (In fact I received another bill yesterday).

If you are on a 12 month contract, you are still liable for charges
until the end of the 12 months.

--
Malcolm S. Muir D e m o n
Sunderland 322 Regents Park Road
Old December 7th 03, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin White

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 12:28:27 +0000 (UTC), (Malcolm
Muir) wrote:

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:57:25 GMT, Martin White wrote:

[snip]

However a word of warning, as I see you are posting from a Demon
address and so I assume they are your ISP. I recently (26th November)
migrated my ADSL line from Demon to another ISP. All went to schedule
(almost), however Demon are still insisting on billing me for the ADSL
connection after it has been migrated.

Apprarently disconnecting the line is not good enough reason not not
keep billing me for it. Several emails, phone calls, faxes, and one
recorded delivery letter later and they still refuse to acknowledge
the fact that the disconnection of the line means they should stop
billing me for it (In fact I received another bill yesterday).

If you are on a 12 month contract, you are still liable for charges
until the end of the 12 months.

Well looking back through by bills I've had ADSL since August 2002. So
the 12 month contract rule doesn't apply here, as I'm past the 12
month minimum contract. Prior to that I was a dial up customer. Hell I
was with Demom from the start, and was one of the original group of
people who discussed the idea on cix who sent Cliff a check for 120
before the service even existed. Prior to that I used Cliffs uucp
offering.

No the problem I have is that Demon still want to charge me for an
ADSL line I nolonger have.

Another letter will be going in the post on Monday, with the latest
bill poiting out that I have no intention of paying for something you
are nolonger providing.

Regards,
Martin

--

martin @ mgw (dot) org (dot) uk.
Old December 8th 03, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank X

"Malcolm Muir" wrote in message

If you are on a 12 month contract, you are still liable for charges
until the end of the 12 months.

In the case of Demon it isn't just the 12 months they'll carry on charging
regardless.
I'd steer well clear of them.

Old December 8th 03, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

"Martin White" wrote in message ...

No can ask fo the line to be migrated. You get the CBUK number for
your line off your existing ISP, you then give that and the phone
number of the line it aplies to, to your new ISP.

NOT all ISPs support migration. For those that do not what the OP suggested (get ADSL removed then
resubscribe) *IS* the only solution!