A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Netgear DG834 default firewall rules donít work



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 8th 03, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Netgear DG834 default firewall rules donít work



Dear All

Ever since I purchased my Netgear DG834 I have been unable to hide my
computer behind the Netgear. With my DG814, all ports were shown as
blocked/stelthed. How ever since I installed the DG834 some of the
ports have been showing up as closed and not blocked/stelthed.

Whilst changing the configuration on the DG834, I added an additional
block rule for all udp/tcp ports, this time with logging turned on.

To my amazement all the ports are now blocked/stelthed. This to me can
only mean that the original default rule is not functioning correctly.


Any comments any one???

Andrew

  #2  
Old December 11th 03, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Netgear DG834 default firewall rules donít work

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:32:55 +0000, Andrew
wrote:



Dear All

Ever since I purchased my Netgear DG834 I have been unable to hide my
computer behind the Netgear. With my DG814, all ports were shown as
blocked/stelthed. How ever since I installed the DG834 some of the
ports have been showing up as closed and not blocked/stelthed.

Whilst changing the configuration on the DG834, I added an additional
block rule for all udp/tcp ports, this time with logging turned on.

To my amazement all the ports are now blocked/stelthed. This to me can
only mean that the original default rule is not functioning correctly.


Any comments any one???

Andrew



Mmmmmm, I have had the same symptom with my DG834G except I have not
tried the setting with 'logging on'. I'll be interested in any other
responses as well......


Filthy Rich
Music House
  #3  
Old December 11th 03, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Netgear DG834 default firewall rules donít work

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:32:55 +0000, Andrew
wrote:



Whilst changing the configuration on the DG834, I added an additional
block rule for all udp/tcp ports, this time with logging turned on.

To my amazement all the ports are now blocked/stelthed. This to me can
only mean that the original default rule is not functioning correctly.



Can you let me know exactly what rule you added? I have tried it but
still got the same result. You are not blocking all Outbound udp/tcp
traffic, surely????


Filthy Rich
Music House
  #4  
Old December 12th 03, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Netgear DG834 default firewall rules donít work

I'm blocking all inbound TCP & UDP ports from any wan device
Basically the same as the last default rule.
Not sure if logging has anything to do with it .


Andrew


Filthy Rich wrote:
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:32:55 +0000, Andrew
wrote:



Whilst changing the configuration on the DG834, I added an additional
block rule for all udp/tcp ports, this time with logging turned on.

To my amazement all the ports are now blocked/stelthed. This to me can
only mean that the original default rule is not functioning correctly.




Can you let me know exactly what rule you added? I have tried it but
still got the same result. You are not blocking all Outbound udp/tcp
traffic, surely????


Filthy Rich
Music House


  #5  
Old December 12th 03, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Netgear DG834 default firewall rules donít work

Most interesting. I did the same blocking and got fully stealthed on
everything except port zero so I'm a happy bunny. Logging doesn't
seem to be relevant.....

I've experienced far more serious software bugs than this....


On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:56:20 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

I'm blocking all inbound TCP & UDP ports from any wan device
Basically the same as the last default rule.
Not sure if logging has anything to do with it .


Andrew


Filthy Rich wrote:
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:32:55 +0000, Andrew
wrote:



Whilst changing the configuration on the DG834, I added an additional
block rule for all udp/tcp ports, this time with logging turned on.

To my amazement all the ports are now blocked/stelthed. This to me can
only mean that the original default rule is not functioning correctly.




Can you let me know exactly what rule you added? I have tried it but
still got the same result. You are not blocking all Outbound udp/tcp
traffic, surely????


Filthy Rich
Music House


Filthy Rich
Music House
  #6  
Old December 13th 03, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 100
Default Netgear DG834 default firewall rules donít work

Probably not relevant, but Netgear have just posted an firmware flash.

MK





On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:18:26 +0000, Filthy Rich
wrote:

Most interesting. I did the same blocking and got fully stealthed on
everything except port zero so I'm a happy bunny. Logging doesn't
seem to be relevant.....

I've experienced far more serious software bugs than this....


On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:56:20 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

I'm blocking all inbound TCP & UDP ports from any wan device
Basically the same as the last default rule.
Not sure if logging has anything to do with it .


Andrew


Filthy Rich wrote:
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:32:55 +0000, Andrew
wrote:



Whilst changing the configuration on the DG834, I added an additional
block rule for all udp/tcp ports, this time with logging turned on.

To my amazement all the ports are now blocked/stelthed. This to me can
only mean that the original default rule is not functioning correctly.




Can you let me know exactly what rule you added? I have tried it but
still got the same result. You are not blocking all Outbound udp/tcp
traffic, surely????


Filthy Rich
Music House


Filthy Rich
Music House


__________________________________________________ _____________________
Michael Kenward Words for sale
  #7  
Old December 14th 03, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 352
Default Netgear DG834 default firewall rules don't work

"Martin≤" wrote:
: As always they test the stuff on punters.
: I will never buy any Netgear.

Whereas I, like many people, have have 100% postive experiences with both
my Netgear routers and would recommend them to anyone!
  #8  
Old December 14th 03, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 294
Default Netgear DG834 default firewall rules don't work

On 14 Dec 2003, Brian McIlwrath wrote:

have have 100% postive experiences with both my Netgear routers


and of two DG814s I use/access, one works and one failed (ADSL modem
side - made line appear engaged all the time, never got in sync) so I
would be less enthusiastic, especially as there are plenty of others
from which to choose (I've been very happy with cheaper ones :-) PM
  #9  
Old December 14th 03, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Netgear DG834 default firewall rules don't work

On 14 Dec 2003 11:27:25 GMT, Brian McIlwrath
wrote:

"Martin≤" wrote:
: As always they test the stuff on punters.
: I will never buy any Netgear.

Whereas I, like many people, have have 100% postive experiences with both
my Netgear routers and would recommend them to anyone!


100% positive here too.....


Filthy Rich
Music House
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NETGEAR DG834 ADSL and CISCO VPN Client Alan uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 December 1st 03 09:31 PM
NETGEAR DG834 ADSL and CISCO VPN Client Alan Fay uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 December 1st 03 08:14 AM
NETGEAR DG834 ADSL and CISCO VPN Client Alan Fay uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 November 27th 03 11:27 PM
firewall on netgear dg824m Ian uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 November 11th 03 04:23 PM
XBOX - firewall rules Yak uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 July 26th 03 11:11 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.