BT Broadband

Old December 8th 03, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nice Chap

Default BT Broadband

I am planning to go for BT Broadband, can somebody please confirm the speed
they are able to get from BT Broadband, BT webiste just mentions that the
access would be 10 times faster but no figures !!

Old December 8th 03, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

home adsl is usually 512 or 1024 Kbits. The 10 times fast comes from
56K * 10 = approx. 560K which i guess is close enough for the marketing
people

Old December 8th 03, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth A.

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 09:50:46 -0000, "Nice Chap"
wrote:

I am planning to go for BT Broadband, can somebody please confirm the speed
they are able to get from BT Broadband, BT webiste just mentions that the
access would be 10 times faster but no figures !!

Very good where I am - slight exchange hiccup after conversion but it
was a case of trying to break through 1st line support and get the
problem logged.

With the MTU set at 1430 I get up to 57 Kb/s download speeds.

Gareth

Old December 8th 03, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Gareth A. wrote:

:I am planning to go for BT Broadband, can somebody please confirm the speed
:they are able to get from BT Broadband, BT webiste just mentions that the
:access would be 10 times faster but no figures !!

It's one of the very few times when advertising seems consistently
pessimistic!!!

With my "56k" dial-up line I nearly always ended up getting connected at
43 or 46k - which gave a download speed of ~4.4k bytes/sec.

ADSL gives pretty consistent download speeds (on sites with good connectivity)
between 58-60k bytes/sec.
Old December 8th 03, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I am planning to go for BT Broadband, can somebody please confirm the speed
they are able to get from BT Broadband, BT webiste just mentions that the
access would be 10 times faster but no figures !!

They aren`t cheap, they aren`t renowned as being generally reliable, and
their "tech support" ain`t clever... They also used to lie to customers
over blocking ports.

There are cheaper options available, with far better customer service

Old December 9th 03, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

In article ,
(Colin Wilson) wrote:

I am planning to go for BT Broadband, can somebody please confirm the
speed
they are able to get from BT Broadband, BT webiste just mentions that
the
access would be 10 times faster but no figures !!

They aren`t cheap, they aren`t renowned as being generally reliable,
and their "tech support" ain`t clever... They also used to lie to
customers over blocking ports.

There are cheaper options available, with far better customer service

That's certainly true of BTOW/BTYahoo, but the OP was talking about
BTBroadband. I have been with them for a year, and found them to be fast
and reliable, customers services are a LOT better on the occasions that
I've had reason to call. I've only had very short outages and they were
during the night (typically 5 mins or so due probably to engineering
work).

My typical speed on ADSLguide are consistently 490kbps, not the fastest
maybe, but consistent. My guess is that the service is geared towards
business, and as I have it at home, I hammer it most out of office hours.

As for port blocking, I have NEVER uncovered any evidence to support this,
I have my own email server and never had a problem with ports 110 or 25, I
run FTP and a web server without a problem, as well as MSN, ICQ, and a
setiqueue.

HTH,

regards,

Steve

Old December 9th 03, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

That's certainly true of BTOW/BTYahoo, but the OP was talking about
BTBroadband

In that case, I humbly apologise...

Perhaps they`re not entirely incompetant :-p

Old December 11th 03, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Steve" wrote in message
Seemingly not, I foned them tonight about the new VoIP service, as
outlined by Sunil in a recent thread. The phone was answered immediately
(after the usual press 1 for dah di dah!) by a human, who said he knew
about the product but couldn't answer the question I asked. Total call
length 8 mins. !!!!! He promised to ring me back tomorrow, and I'll post
a reply to this post as soon as he does. FWIW I asked him if VoIP was good
enough to hang a fax machine off the end.

If anyone has tried this already I'd be pleased to know the outcome.

It may well be good enough to hang a fax off it.. However, VoIP is a new
consumer product for BT in the UK so they won't have much feedback on it yet
as its only been publically available since the 1st December

In fact, I read they only expect 7,000 customers by April for the service!

Anyway - back to faxing - have you considered a 0845/0870 type fax to email
service instead - where the company providing the number will email you a
copy of the fax as an attachment.

Companies offering this in the UK include:

http://www.inweb.co.uk/product_pages...ng_service.htm
http://web1.yac.com/jsp/yacFreeFaxEmailGate.jsp
http://www.trinite.co.uk/products/fax/faxtoMail.htm
or for a US fax number try http://www.k7.net

Regards
Sunil

Old December 11th 03, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

Companies offering this in the UK include:

add to that www.efax.com (whether they're in the UK or not,
they offer 0870 [free] and various other [monthly fee] nos.
UK 020, Italy, Germany and other parts of Europe. Peter M.