Netgear DG834G

Old December 8th 03, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scooby Doo

Default Netgear DG834G

Looking to get an all in one kit (WAP, ADSL modem/switch/router) and haved
decided on the Netgear DG834G.

From what I've read all seems fine but I have one concern - that if you move
a large file (200MB) it crashes. Has this been fixed and what firmware
should I be looking for that incorporates this fix?

Alternatively, if someone can suggest a better all-in-one kit I'd be happy
to receive your recommendations.

Thanks

Old December 9th 03, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scooby Doo

"Martin²" wrote in message
Netgear = Trouble.
If you want peaceful life go for Draytek 2600We (or 2600G if you REALLY

need
54Mbps between your computers), it has more features and cost a bit more,
but in my experience it's worth the saved time many times over.
Regards,
Martin

Really? Is Netgear really that bad as I thought a big name would have been
better?

Old December 9th 03, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, "Scooby Doo" wrote:

Is Netgear really that bad ...

I think many people are perfectly happy, and their prices are
coming down. A year ago a small firm near me bought a DG814
which worked briefly and then died (only the ADSL/phone i/f)
and was replaced soon afterwards. I guess more people will
report tales of woe than how they're very happy with products
(not sure if Ebuyer or DooYoo have consumer views on them, but
the Netgear stuff probably works as well as many others, and I
suggest one should not be put off too much unless only seeing
tales of woe :-) (I may not have helped their reputation!)
Old December 9th 03, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Scooby Doo wrote:
: Looking to get an all in one kit (WAP, ADSL modem/switch/router) and haved
: decided on the Netgear DG834G.

: From what I've read all seems fine but I have one concern - that if you move
: a large file (200MB) it crashes. Has this been fixed and what firmware
: should I be looking for that incorporates this fix?

I am amazed! I have had flawless results from my Netgear DG814 (6 months)
and lately DG824M (1 month). I am sure that some files transferred have been
well over 200Mb!
Old December 11th 03, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On 9 Dec 2003 16:53:23 GMT, Brian McIlwrath
wrote:

Scooby Doo wrote:
: Looking to get an all in one kit (WAP, ADSL modem/switch/router) and haved
: decided on the Netgear DG834G.

: From what I've read all seems fine but I have one concern - that if you move
: a large file (200MB) it crashes. Has this been fixed and what firmware
: should I be looking for that incorporates this fix?

I am amazed! I have had flawless results from my Netgear DG814 (6 months)
and lately DG824M (1 month). I am sure that some files transferred have been
well over 200Mb!

I've got a wireless home network on Pipex 1Mb service with a DG834G,
WG121 and WG311 plus 3 x wired connections from PC's and a laptop.

Works fine. Netgear is outstanding kit. Simple to install and
trustworthy. Just plug in and leave it.....

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old December 11th 03, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Filthy Rich
writes
I am amazed! I have had flawless results from my Netgear DG814 (6 months)
and lately DG824M (1 month). I am sure that some files transferred have been
well over 200Mb!

I've got a wireless home network on Pipex 1Mb service with a DG834G,
WG121 and WG311 plus 3 x wired connections from PC's and a laptop.

Works fine. Netgear is outstanding kit. Simple to install and
trustworthy. Just plug in and leave it.....

High praise indeed, but maybe you recognise this?

To my amazement all the ports are now blocked/stelthed. This to me
can only mean that the original default rule is not functioning

correctly.

Can you let me know exactly what rule you added? I have tried it but
still got the same result.

Filthy Rich
Music House

--
Clint
Old December 12th 03, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:20:24 +0000, Clint Sharp
wrote:

In message , Filthy Rich
writes
I am amazed! I have had flawless results from my Netgear DG814 (6 months)
and lately DG824M (1 month). I am sure that some files transferred have been
well over 200Mb!

I've got a wireless home network on Pipex 1Mb service with a DG834G,
WG121 and WG311 plus 3 x wired connections from PC's and a laptop.

Works fine. Netgear is outstanding kit. Simple to install and
trustworthy. Just plug in and leave it.....

High praise indeed, but maybe you recognise this?

To my amazement all the ports are now blocked/stelthed. This to me
can only mean that the original default rule is not functioning

correctly.

Can you let me know exactly what rule you added? I have tried it but
still got the same result.

Filthy Rich
Music House

Fair cop! Knew someone would have a laugh at that. That said, even so
it all works fine and isn't causing a problem afaik.....

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old January 5th 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kirk

Brian McIlwrath wrote in message ...
Scooby Doo wrote:
: Looking to get an all in one kit (WAP, ADSL modem/switch/router) and haved
: decided on the Netgear DG834G.

: From what I've read all seems fine but I have one concern - that if you move
: a large file (200MB) it crashes. Has this been fixed and what firmware
: should I be looking for that incorporates this fix?

I am amazed! I have had flawless results from my Netgear DG814 (6 months)
and lately DG824M (1 month). I am sure that some files transferred have been
well over 200Mb!

I bought a Netgear DG834G and although it was easy to set up, doesn't
want to reach downstairs. I can't get a signal downstairs, and when I
do it is a very brief one.
Anyone know guidelines of where to set it up or any other suggestions
of how I can get a signal downstairs in my house?

I've had little response from other groups, so i hope someone here can
help.
Old January 5th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Mountifield

Scooby Doo wrote:
: Looking to get an all in one kit (WAP, ADSL modem/switch/router) and haved
: decided on the Netgear DG834G.

: From what I've read all seems fine but I have one concern - that if you move
: a large file (200MB) it crashes. Has this been fixed and what firmware
: should I be looking for that incorporates this fix?

I am amazed! I have had flawless results from my Netgear DG814 (6 months)
and lately DG824M (1 month). I am sure that some files transferred have been
well over 200Mb!

I bought a Netgear DG834G and although it was easy to set up, doesn't
want to reach downstairs. I can't get a signal downstairs, and when I
do it is a very brief one.
Anyone know guidelines of where to set it up or any other suggestions
of how I can get a signal downstairs in my house?

If the laptop running XP? XP can in my experience be rather temperamental
concerning WiFi, and you continually see the connection found and then
disconnected again, even with a good signal.

Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;821442

I found removing the Q815485 hotfix cured the problem.

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
Old January 6th 04, 02:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Kirk:
I can't get a signal downstairs, and when I do it is a very brief one.

Antenna in vertical position creates doughnut shape signal zone in
horizontal plane.
Try putting your antenna in horizontal position. Have you concrete or metal
in your floor ?
You may have to move both units around by trial and error, sometimes half an
inch makes all the difference.
Regards,
Martin