Multiple IPs and Conexant Router

Old December 8th 03, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Philip Harding

Default Multiple IPs and Conexant Router

I'm looking to get fixed IPs for all 4 of my home pcs (2x PC, laptop and
PS2), and know that Eclipse usually provide blocks of 8 IPs? free of charge.
My question is, is my Conexant Based router compatible with this sort of
setup, would it forward all ports to each pc? Also how would I go about
setting up this sort of config, I know the router has to have its own
external IP along with the other PCs, and that not all 8 IPs are available
for use, however this is as far as my knowledge on this stretches.

Thanks for any help

Old December 8th 03, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Gallagher

"Philip Harding" . uk
wrote in message ...
I'm looking to get fixed IPs for all 4 of my home pcs (2x PC, laptop

and
PS2), and know that Eclipse usually provide blocks of 8 IPs? free of

charge.
My question is, is my Conexant Based router compatible with this

sort of
setup, would it forward all ports to each pc? Also how would I go

about
setting up this sort of config, I know the router has to have its

own
external IP along with the other PCs, and that not all 8 IPs are

available
for use, however this is as far as my knowledge on this stretches.

Thanks for any help

Try this...
http://www.kcip.com/projects/amx/
.... helped me get connected using a Conexant based router using a
block of 8 IP's (5 useable) from Zen.

HTH,

John

---
Outgoing mail should be virus free...

Old December 8th 03, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Philip Harding

"John Gallagher" wrote in message
"Philip Harding" . uk
wrote in message ...
[...]

So I basically have to turn off NAT, but then when it says 'At this point
you should be able to set your PC to a 'real' IP and both connect to the
router on it's internet address and access the internet.', do I just
manually set the pc(s) with one of the external IPs in network settings or
what?

Old December 8th 03, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Philip Harding

wrote in message ...
[...]

Ignore the other post, I just read through again and understood...I think.
All I have to do is turn off NAT, set the specified IP/Subnet the ISP gave
me as the routers actual IP, then manually set all the pcs up with the other
IPs?
If I've gone way out or missed something here, please tell me!

Old December 8th 03, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Gallagher

wrote in message ...
[...]

Think you have it now Philip.

Set up the router with it's 'real' IP, but leave NAT on - you should
be able to connect (your computer should be set for DHCP).

Once that's working, turn of NAT and set your LAN to assign the block
of (useable) IP's from Eclipse; each machine that you connect should
be set to use DHCP, or you can manually configure each machine to have
one of the (again useable) IP's.

HTH,

John

---
Outgoing mail should be virus free...

Old December 9th 03, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Philip Harding

wrote in message ...
[...]

So on the Routers range of IPs to assign via DHCP I should change the
internal "10.0.07-10.0.0.15" to the range given to me by Eclipse....would
they necessary be a block of consecutive IPs though?
Also will the fact that my NICs in the PCs don't have internal IPs affect
file and print sharing....I guess it will so I would need another NIC in
each PC?

Old December 9th 03, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Gallagher

"Philip Harding" . uk
wrote in message ...
snip
So on the Routers range of IPs to assign via DHCP I should change

the
internal "10.0.07-10.0.0.15" to the range given to me by

Eclipse....would
they necessary be a block of consecutive IPs though?
Also will the fact that my NICs in the PCs don't have internal IPs

affect
file and print sharing....I guess it will so I would need another

NIC in
each PC?

No Philip, your network becomes each of the useable IP addresses -
each of your machines can connect to each other using the real IP
address assigned to it (either by you or DHCP)... you do not need a
2nd NIC or to run internal IP's.

I would expect the block given to you to be consecutive; you should
have 8 IP addresses.

The first one is your network address, and therefore not assignable.
The second last is your router address, and therefore only useable by
your router.
The last is the broadcast address, and therefore not assignable.
Your subnet mask will be 255.255.255.248

Your useable IP addresses will be the 5 between the first and second
last; set your router to assign those 5 out, or manually assign one to
each of your machines (with the gateway set as your router address).
Doing it the second way allows you to manually edit your hosts file to
do a name resolution for however you set it.

e.g.

xxx.xxx.xxx.1 network address - not assigned
xxx.xxx.xxx.2 pc_1 pc_1.your_network
xxx.xxx.xxx.3 pc_2 pc_2.your_network
xxx.xxx.xxx.4 pc_3 pc_3.your_network
xxx.xxx.xxx.5 pc_4 pc_4.your_network
xxx.xxx.xxx.6 pc_5 pc_5.your_network
xxx.xxx.xxx.7 router router.your_network
xxx.xxx.xxx.8 broadcast address - not assigned

HTH,

John

PS: That's how Zen - who I use - have their IP blocks set up; I am
assuming Eclipse are the same.

---
Outgoing mail should be virus free...