USB2 Hub, Printer and Broadband

Old December 8th 03, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
turbo

Default USB2 Hub, Printer and Broadband

I have a relatively new compaq evo N800v laptop with two USB 2 ports.
I am trying to connect an HP psc 750 printer/scanner, keyboard, mouse
and speedtouch Adsl modem. I have a belkin non powered hub so can
connect three devices via the hub and one straight to the pc. I've
tried various combinations. However if the printer and modem are
running simultaneously the system hangs with the CPU thrashing at
100%.

Please would you tell me:

Is this a problem caused by the hub - is there some kind of
restriction? would a powered hub solve this?

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Turbo
Old December 8th 03, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
Graham

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 10:19:05 -0800, turbo wrote:

I have a relatively new compaq evo N800v laptop with two USB 2 ports. I am
trying to connect an HP psc 750 printer/scanner, keyboard, mouse and
speedtouch Adsl modem. I have a belkin non powered hub so can connect
three devices via the hub and one straight to the pc. I've tried various
combinations. However if the printer and modem are running simultaneously
the system hangs with the CPU thrashing at 100%.

Please would you tell me:

Is this a problem caused by the hub - is there some kind of restriction?
would a powered hub solve this?

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Turbo

Have you looked for the latest drivers for both devices?

Graham.

Old December 9th 03, 04:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
J CHILTON

Have you Installed Software Correctly
or Power ed Hub

Regards

Jerry Beemer

news

Old December 9th 03, 06:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
Simon Brown

Can the PC actually provide enough power for these devices? I had problems
with a new ASUS board and had to add a 4 port PCI card to be able to power
scanner + webcam + headset.

Some chips don't pump out much current, from memory Intel.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old December 9th 03, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
David Hearn

A USB port is only able to provide 500mA to each socket (or is it per
controller which can control 2(?) ports?). I could be wrong, but multiple
unpowered devices tend to be a problem with unpowered hubs. Remember - the
3 port hub is running off a single 500mA socket (also powering itself - not
just the plugged in devices).

When the original Speedtouch USB modem came out there used to be a problem
with it attempting to draw 500mA and it causing lots of problems - even
without using a hub. They've probably improved it since then, but I would
still tend to either put it on a USB port of its own (direct into the PC) or
use a powered hub. Remember - you're running 3 unpowered devices off that
500mA socket. Powered devices are different (eg. the printer which has a
mains plug) this device (should) only use the USB as a communications to the
PC - not for powering the unit - that's what's the mains are for.

I would try to put the USB ADSL modem onto a PC USB port and the 3 other
devices onto the hub. If the problem is still there then try one further
thing of not using the keyboard mouse (use the built into the laptop
keyboard/touchpad) and plug printer and modem directly into the laptop. If
the problem is still there, it may well be a driver issue.

Hope that helps.

Old December 9th 03, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
turbo

"J CHILTON" wrote in message
Have you Installed Software Correctly
or Power ed Hub

I've tried plugging the printer and ADSL directly into the USB ports
and have not encountered any problems. Incidentally I'm using the
separate keyboard and mouse because of RSI type problems. Looks like
I need to try a powered hub

Thanks

Turbo
Old December 10th 03, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
David Hearn

om...

"J CHILTON" wrote in message
Have you Installed Software Correctly
or Power ed Hub

I've tried plugging the printer and ADSL directly into the USB ports
and have not encountered any problems. Incidentally I'm using the
separate keyboard and mouse because of RSI type problems. Looks like
I need to try a powered hub

Thanks

Turbo

Yep - that sounds like that'll be the solution.