NTL Problems with dialup

Old December 8th 03, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

Default NTL Problems with dialup

The only justification for this post is that I am currently deciding
whether to go or not for Broadband right now or wait a little while
longer. One reason for my hesitancy is that I am (up to now) quite
satisfied with my 15 pm deal with NTL and it has, (again up to now),
worked very well indeed. Up to now I did not know what it was like not
to get online immediately.
However, in the last few days I have been cut off within a few seconds
of going online, that is when I had got online after about ten minutes
of attempts to do so. I have had this happen several times now and I am
wondering is NTL's service deteriorating, if so that will really push me
to PlusNet Broadband or some such provider. I would appreciate a few
words of advice or if anyone else has experienced such a drop in service
from the aforesaid NTL package in the last few dads.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old December 9th 03, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

I'm in exactly your position - NTL has deteriorated markedly in the last
couple of weeks and I am about to sign up with plusnet. It's driving us mad
here! Service used to be superb - first time connection every time. Maybe
its a temporary hardware or software problem. Either way I'm fed up with the
phone line being tied up so much - the kids are fighting to get on the
computer all the time.

Si

Old December 9th 03, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Simon
writes
I'm in exactly your position - NTL has deteriorated markedly in the last
couple of weeks and I am about to sign up with plusnet. It's driving us mad
here! Service used to be superb - first time connection every time. Maybe
its a temporary hardware or software problem. Either way I'm fed up with the
phone line being tied up so much - the kids are fighting to get on the
computer all the time.

Si

Hi Simon.

I'm so glad to find someone else who can verify what has been happening
to me but I totally sympathise with you in your predicament. If its
anything like the way my NTL has been performing in the last week or so
it must be very frustrating.

As to those arguments put forward that after three months of Broadband
you will have downloaded all you need and could then go back to dialup,
my answer to those people who hold that view is that its not the big
downloads that cause the time wasting but all the very ordinary "bread
and butter" surfing we do each and every day that eats up the hours. I
am sure you will agree that every page or email you work on that takes a
half a minute to send or download does not appear to me much in
isolation, but if you add them all up in one day you could save hours
with the almost instant speed of Broadband.

Simon, all of this you will know but I feel it needs to be re-iterated
for the benefit of those who may not appreciate the value of BB.

Since you and I seem to be at the same stage Simon, please feel free to
email me as to your progress.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old December 9th 03, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Simon
writes
I'm in exactly your position - NTL has deteriorated markedly in the last
couple of weeks and I am about to sign up with plusnet. It's driving us mad
here! Service used to be superb - first time connection every time. Maybe
its a temporary hardware or software problem. Either way I'm fed up with the
phone line being tied up so much - the kids are fighting to get on the
computer all the time.

Si

Just heard from NTL that they are thinking of an offer of Broadband to
BT telephone line customers in non cable areas of 30 per month to
include 15 worth of telephone calls, this, (if it happens), would be
sometime in February 2004.
Comments please....
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old December 11th 03, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I would be interested in that offer. I am in Lincolnshire too and using NTL
dial up (and its been fine, and still is... famous last words). My local
exchange has just reached the target required for an upgrade to ADSL so that
should happen in the next 3 months.

As for the sudden drop in dial up performance you may well find that BT have
DAX'd your line. This means they effectivly share it with another user via
some fancy hardware in the exchange.

They don't tell you when this has been done. It became evident to me when i
seemed to always connect at 28.8 on one phone line, but the other line
always connected at 48.

They tend to pick on lines that appear to have low usage (Low bills). This
was the case with the line they Dax'd at my place as all my calls were to
NTL dial up or prefixed with1263 so my bills were low...

worth calling em to see if you have had the same thing happen to you.
"Derrick Fawsitt" wrote in message
In message , Simon
writes

Old December 11th 03, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , writes
I would be interested in that offer. I am in Lincolnshire too and using NTL
dial up (and its been fine, and still is... famous last words). My local
exchange has just reached the target required for an upgrade to ADSL so that
should happen in the next 3 months.

As for the sudden drop in dial up performance you may well find that BT have
DAX'd your line. This means they effectivly share it with another user via
some fancy hardware in the exchange.

Hi, thank you for your response and nice to get a reply from our lovely
county. I now know the reason for the loss of performance which I got
from a very helpful, (for once), chap in NTL support. Of three servers
or numbers, (can't remember now which he said), one is currently down
and obviously puts a strain on the other two. That's the reason for the
temporary (?) downturn in performance and the difficulty in getting
online at times.

They don't tell you when this has been done. It became evident to me when i
seemed to always connect at 28.8 on one phone line, but the other line
always connected at 48.

They tend to pick on lines that appear to have low usage (Low bills). This
was the case with the line they Dax'd at my place as all my calls were to
NTL dial up or prefixed with1263 so my bills were low...

worth calling em to see if you have had the same thing happen to you.

Thank you for the above but I have now gone for Broadband with PlusNet
and I feel already even before I get it that I won't be looking back.

Do keep in touch, nice to be talking to someone from Lovely
Lincolnshire, (no its not all flat).
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old December 11th 03, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 21:44:30 +0000, Derrick Fawsitt
wrote:

The only justification for this post is that I am currently deciding
whether to go or not for Broadband right now or wait a little while
longer. One reason for my hesitancy is that I am (up to now) quite
satisfied with my 15 pm deal with NTL and it has, (again up to now),
worked very well indeed. Up to now I did not know what it was like not
to get online immediately.
However, in the last few days I have been cut off within a few seconds
of going online, that is when I had got online after about ten minutes
of attempts to do so. I have had this happen several times now and I am
wondering is NTL's service deteriorating, if so that will really push me
to PlusNet Broadband or some such provider. I would appreciate a few
words of advice or if anyone else has experienced such a drop in service
from the aforesaid NTL package in the last few dads.

I moved from NTL indirect (ntlfreedom!) dial up last month over to a
Pipex 1Mb service for two reasons.

1. NTL cannot offer indirect Broadnabd

2. I was receiving 80 spam emails a day and I'm sure, like many
others, that an insider at NTL has nicked their customer email address
list and has been selling it to the world at large.

The major benefit is that I now spend a fraction of the time sat at my
PC so I have loads more free time......plus all the family can go on
the 'net without any hassle.....

Filthy Rich
Music House