Switch Broadband and Dial-up

Old December 8th 03, 09:44 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.apps.comm,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.win95.dialupnetwork,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
QuickHare

Default Switch Broadband and Dial-up

Sorry for the mass-cross-post to loads of newsgroups. I have searched them all
and can't find the answer.

I manage a website of which I have to dial up a certain number and transfer
files through this connection only. I am completely happy with this set up, but
that will change... I'm going to go over to broadband after Christmas. Is it
possible to use broadband and still use this connection when I need to update
the website? It'd only be for a few minutes every month, but I cannot change
hosts or this connection method.

--
QuickHare
Remove the NOT HERE to email direct.

Old December 8th 03, 09:58 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.apps.comm,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.win95.dialupnetwork,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

"QuickHare" a formulé la demande :
Sorry for the mass-cross-post to loads of newsgroups. I have searched them
all and can't find the answer.

I manage a website of which I have to dial up a certain number and transfer
files through this connection only. I am completely happy with this set up,
but that will change... I'm going to go over to broadband after Christmas. Is
it possible to use broadband and still use this connection when I need to
update the website? It'd only be for a few minutes every month, but I cannot
change hosts or this connection method.

If you mean can you use a dial-up at the same time as broadband on the
same line then the answer is yes. You can in fact use both your
broadband and dial-up at one and the same time. Broadband ISP's provide
a dial-up number for those times when broadband fails.

The modem will need to be connected via a filter and you will still
need the modem anyway for sending/ receiving fax.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)

Old December 8th 03, 10:16 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.apps.comm,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.win95.dialupnetwork,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 22:05:13 -0000, "QuickHare"
wrote:

Thank you for your fast response. I've just thought of another way. Is it
possible to just unplug the wire from the broadband modem and just use the
dial-up?

You don't need to do that. Just dial up using your old method in the
normal way. That will override the broadband connection and all will

Jim.

Old December 8th 03, 10:47 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.apps.comm,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.win95.dialupnetwork,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:58:58 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

You can in fact use both your
broadband and dial-up at one and the same time.

To do that you would have to set the dialup connection NOT to use the
default gateway on the remote network and set a static route for the
dialup. Also this route would likely need to change on each connection
in line with the addresses allocated during ppp negotiation.

Far too complicated for the amount of time he will be using the dialup
connection.

Jim.

Old December 9th 03, 01:43 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.apps.comm,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.win95.dialupnetwork,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 09:04:00 -0000, "Adam S"
wrote:

You can in fact use both your
broadband and dial-up at one and the same time.

To do that you would have to set the dialup connection NOT to use the
default gateway on the remote network and set a static route for the
dialup. Also this route would likely need to change on each connection
in line with the addresses allocated during ppp negotiation.

I am in exactly the same situation, I have two other ISPs that I need to
dial into every 30 days to keep the web sites I have on them 'alive'.

I just need to click on the dial-up connections to access the other ISP
servers, there is no need to unplug the broadband connection first.

But can you access the broadband while using the dial-up? No.

If you are replying to the OP you are correct except for posting in
the wrong place.

Jim.

Old December 9th 03, 05:11 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.apps.comm,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.win95.dialupnetwork,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Adam S wrote:

But can you access the broadband while using the dial-up? No.

I think "No" is a bit too "black & white" an answer ;-) You could if you
wanted... (although I doubt the OP would want to in this case)

As I use a router to access broadband I didn't realise this.

I have been connected to the router via ethernet (and thus boradband) while
I had dialled into another ISP using internel modem. I have been working on
one of the dial-in websites while another member of the family has been
using the broadband connection from another PC.

I think its fair to say that there are too many variables to the way
connections can be set up to give one answer to fit all hardware / software
configurations, except to perhaps say - maybe it will work.

When you create a dial up connection on a windows PC it will
automatically insert an entry in the routing table that instructs all
further traffic not destined for the local subnet, to be routed via the
modem connection.

(to see this: open a command prompt / ms dos prompt and type "route
print", then do you dial up and type it again - you will see the new
entry made by dial up networking)

If you wanted to, you can remove the new routing entry and add a more
specific one. So for example all traffic destined for the ISPs netblock
that you have dialled up to, should be routed via the modem, but all
other traffic will then carry on being routed via your default gateway
(i.e. your broadband connection)

--
Cheers,

John.

Old December 9th 03, 05:22 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.apps.comm,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.win95.dialupnetwork,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 16:31:00 -0000, "Adam S"
wrote:

I have been connected to the router via ethernet (and thus boradband) while
I had dialled into another ISP using internel modem. I have been working on
one of the dial-in websites while another member of the family has been
using the broadband connection from another PC.

The dialup will create a new default gateway and raise the metric on
the old default gateway of your local pc so effectively the broadband
connection won't be used until you hang up. The other pc's on the LAN
will continue to use their usual default gateway (the broadband
router) as normal.

Jim.

Old December 12th 03, 06:49 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.apps.comm,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.win95.dialupnetwork,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
QuickHare

But can you access the broadband while using the dial-up? No.
I think "No" is a bit too "black & white" an answer ;-) You could if you
wanted... (although I doubt the OP would want to in this case)

This is correct. While I am connected through the dial-up, I wish the traffic to
be sent through the modem, and I would not be using broadband at the time. I
have one computer to be connected, and this is the computer that must use the
dial-up.

When you create a dial up connection on a windows PC it will
automatically insert an entry in the routing table that instructs all
further traffic not destined for the local subnet, to be routed via the
modem connection.

At the moment, I have a computer connect through a modem to an ISP. I use this
to contact the outside world. If I get broadband, I would like to use that
instead, but not uninstall my dial-up modem or ISP.
Therefore, if I connect to the Internet using my dial-up modem, does the
broadband connection temporarily halt (ie. no data sent through it in any way)
to allow me to send data through the dial-up, then my computer resumes using the
broadband connection as if nothing has happened?
I am using no applications or programs that would even think of connecting to
the Internet during this dial-up, except an FTP program.

--
QuickHare
Remove the NOT HERE to email direct.

Old December 12th 03, 08:49 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.apps.comm,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.win95.dialupnetwork,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:49:24 -0000, "QuickHare"
wrote:

Therefore, if I connect to the Internet using my dial-up modem, does the
broadband connection temporarily halt (ie. no data sent through it in any way)
to allow me to send data through the dial-up, then my computer resumes using the
broadband connection as if nothing has happened?

my XP machine appears to do this, when I occasionally dial into an ISP
rather than using the broadband connection that is via an ethernet
card and a router.

It may be different if your Broadband appears as a dialup (eg USB
modem) but you could easily drop the broadband and tell it to use the
modem (or manually initiate it from the DUN connectoid).

Phil
Old December 12th 03, 11:03 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.apps.comm,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.win95.dialupnetwork,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:49:43 +0000, Phil Thompson
wrote:

my XP machine appears to do this, when I occasionally dial into an ISP
rather than using the broadband connection that is via an ethernet
card and a router.

It may be different if your Broadband appears as a dialup (eg USB
modem) but you could easily drop the broadband and tell it to use the
modem (or manually initiate it from the DUN connectoid).

It's not different. Whichever dialup connection connects last will
become the default gateway (assuming you haven't specifically changed
the settings otherwise) and nothing will go through the other
connection until the line is hung up. Then it will automatically
revert.

Jim.