Moving from Freeserve

Old December 8th 03, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Hocking

Default Moving from Freeserve

Hi,
I am currently on the FS 1-month free trial. Rang the dreaded cancellation
line to enquire about cancelling & obtaining a CBUK no - the guy said no
problem but the cancellation team close at 9 - ring again tomorrow! Will
wait & see!

Anyway - can anyone recommend a good replacement, my shortlist is :-

Plusnet
Pipex (offering free migration) & the 330 usb modem etc for 18 one-off
Nildram
Zen

Anyone offer better retention/completion of binaries or are they all much of
a muchness? Any other pitfalls to watch out for in this lot?

Thanks for any help
Mark

Old December 8th 03, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

"Mark Hocking" wrote in message

I am currently on the FS 1-month free trial. Rang the dreaded

cancellation
line to enquire about cancelling & obtaining a CBUK no - the guy said

no
problem but the cancellation team close at 9 - ring again tomorrow!

Will
wait & see!

You will *NOT* get a CBUK number from Freeserve. They do not support
migration to anyone else. If you COULD get a CBUK number by any other
means is isn't, in itself, sufficient to migrate!

You will have to cancel Freeserve entirely, wait until the ADSL
equipment is removed from your line and then choose someone else. As you
were on the free months trial you will not be charged - but expecting
them to pay for activation for you to use someone else is a bit hopeful!

Old December 8th 03, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark eldon

if you go to plus.net or force9 feel free to use my referral code (csluk)
))

seriously , have a look at www.adslguide.org first

Old December 8th 03, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Hocking

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message

"Mark Hocking" wrote in message

I am currently on the FS 1-month free trial. Rang the dreaded

cancellation
line to enquire about cancelling & obtaining a CBUK no - the guy said

no
problem but the cancellation team close at 9 - ring again tomorrow!

Will
wait & see!

You will *NOT* get a CBUK number from Freeserve. They do not support
migration to anyone else. If you COULD get a CBUK number by any other
means is isn't, in itself, sufficient to migrate!

You will have to cancel Freeserve entirely, wait until the ADSL
equipment is removed from your line and then choose someone else. As you
were on the free months trial you will not be charged - but expecting
them to pay for activation for you to use someone else is a bit hopeful!

How come they said "yes, we can give you a CBUK code"?

Old December 8th 03, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

"Mark Hocking" wrote in message ...

How come they said "yes, we can give you a CBUK code"?

You are then unique!! NOONE has reported ANY success with migrating from Freeserve in the past and
they are well known to be one of the ISPs which will just not do it!

Doing it on the one-month trial would seem infinitely less probable! They possibly have a special
deal with BT to cope with such cancellations.

Old December 8th 03, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bat Guano

Brian McIlwrath wrote:

You are then unique!! NOONE has reported ANY success with migrating from Freeserve in the past and
they are well known to be one of the ISPs which will just not do it!

Well known? ADSLGuide reports Freeserve as:
"Migrations Supported - Outbound Only"

Old December 9th 03, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Maskill

Mark Hocking wrote:

[...]

I wanted to move from AOL to Pipex just over 3 months ago, got a CBUK
number from AOL but they did not answer the migration request.

I have 2 lines so cancelled AOL on one and had Pipex put on the other.

Although my AOL account was closed 3 months ago the modem will still
sync if put on that line, so AOL have not asked BT to remove the kit in
the exchange.

Pipex is working a treat on the other line.

The obtaining of a CBUK number is not a problem but if the ISP does not
support migration then to put it in simple terms "Your stuffed"....

--
Robert Maskill G4PYR
Peterborough Cambridgeshire

Old December 9th 03, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 8 Dec 2003 22:25, "Mark Hocking" wrote:

Anyone offer better retention/completion of binaries or are they
all much of a muchness?

I found (for some MP3 groups) that Freeserve was better than Plusnet
but overall, the convenience and lower costs of PN are a good plus.

You could happily use some separate news service if that's a very
important aspect for you. Just don't go for the PlusNet Home Surf
18.99 account as that blocks binaries and [I assume] most other
news services. There have been increases in storage recently on
PlusNet, but there's a chance with most UK ISPs that some NGs you
want aren't carried - worth posting a list if you want particular
services compared for serving you... or try Astraweb etc etc

Feel free to visit PlusNet via link (http://tinyurl.com/8ib9
which may save me a little - you can refer others and save too
Old December 9th 03, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

"Mark Hocking" wrote in message ...
Hi,
I am currently on the FS 1-month free trial. Rang the dreaded cancellation
line to enquire about cancelling & obtaining a CBUK no - the guy said no
problem but the cancellation team close at 9 - ring again tomorrow! Will
wait & see!

Anyway - can anyone recommend a good replacement, my shortlist is :-

Plusnet
Pipex (offering free migration) & the 330 usb modem etc for 18 one-off
Nildram
Zen

Anyone offer better retention/completion of binaries or are they all much of
a muchness? Any other pitfalls to watch out for in this lot?

Thanks for any help
Mark

I was with Zen for a couple of months, but my other half didn't like
them so we ended up changing (back to AOL, would you believe??)

Zen are excellent. Their C/S staff know exactly what they're talking
about, are very professional and polite, and should you have to phone
their C/S helpline you're always told how far down in the queue you
are, with the option of their calling you back if you're at the bottom
of the queue.

Another aspect which I really liked about Zen was that they only ask
for a minimum of a one month contract.

On the other side of the coin, however, you do have to pay for the
modem and the first month's charge up front, so you're about 120 down
straight away. They also only give you one email address which they
choose for you; even though you can add other addresses to the
account. Basically, this means that the main account holder can
access email addressed to any other email addy on that address.

That said, you always have to weigh up the pros and cons of all ISPs
uou're considering.

Good luck with whoever you choose! :-)

Rob