ADSL at last??

Old December 8th 03, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Lowe

Default ADSL at last??

Have posted this on ADSLGuide forum earlier but would welcome any comments
from this NG.

After many months of trying to get ADSL, (I currently have Home Highway), I
approach BT again after getting an "amber" signal on my ISDN digital line
and they tell me they are coming to connect everything on 17th December. On
a recent previous attempt I gleaned from them that my line apparently
registers 62.3 db noise and I would like to hear from anybody who has any
knowledge of ADSL with that level of noise. My feelings are that it is only
a little noisier than the 60db level for extended reach and should not
degrade too much. Am I right to feel delighted with my news or will this
prove to be another disappointment?? (It is Christmas after all!!)

Many thanks

J Lowe

Old December 8th 03, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
As mellow as a horse

"John Lowe" wrote in message
[...]

I was told I was well over 60db when I was turned down (can't get anyone to
tell me exact figure). You'd think that would mean 70 or something, but as
it's a logarithmic scale I think 62.3 would be nearly double 60db(?)

Old December 8th 03, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bat Guano

John Lowe wrote:
Have posted this on ADSLGuide forum earlier but would welcome any comments
from this NG.

After many months of trying to get ADSL, (I currently have Home Highway), I
approach BT again after getting an "amber" signal on my ISDN digital line
and they tell me they are coming to connect everything on 17th December. On
a recent previous attempt I gleaned from them that my line apparently
registers 62.3 db noise and I would like to hear from anybody who has any
knowledge of ADSL with that level of noise. My feelings are that it is only
a little noisier than the 60db level for extended reach and should not
degrade too much. Am I right to feel delighted with my news or will this
prove to be another disappointment?? (It is Christmas after all!!)

I thought the 60dB limit refers to attenuation (loss) and the the
signal-to-noise limit is something else?

Old December 9th 03, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

John Lowe wrote:
Have posted this on ADSLGuide forum earlier but would welcome any
comments from this NG.

After many months of trying to get ADSL, (I currently have Home
Highway), I approach BT again after getting an "amber" signal on my
ISDN digital line and they tell me they are coming to connect
everything on 17th December. On a recent previous attempt I gleaned
from them that my line apparently registers 62.3 db noise and I
would like to hear from anybody who has any knowledge of ADSL with
that level of noise. My feelings are that it is only a little
noisier than the 60db level for extended reach and should not
degrade too much. Am I right to feel delighted with my news or will
this prove to be another disappointment?? (It is Christmas after
all!!)

Many thanks

J Lowe

If nothing has changed since the last time it would appear that you
are going to fail the line test again.

Old December 9th 03, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
John Lowe wrote:

Have posted this on ADSLGuide forum earlier but would welcome any
comments from this NG.

After many months of trying to get ADSL, (I currently have Home
Highway), I approach BT again after getting an "amber" signal on
my ISDN digital line and they tell me they are coming to connect
everything on 17th December. On a recent previous attempt I
gleaned from them that my line apparently registers 62.3 db noise
and I would like to hear from anybody who has any knowledge of
ADSL with that level of noise. My feelings are that it is only a
little noisier than the 60db level for extended reach and should
not degrade too much. Am I right to feel delighted with my news or
will this prove to be another disappointment?? (It is Christmas
after all!!)

Many thanks

J Lowe

I think your statement of 63db is only slightly more than 60db is
slightly flawed, it's a non-linear scale. 62.3db is ALOT noiser
than 60db.

On a semi-related note. I got my broadband enabled today, and
looking
in my router stats, it shows the following: SNR Margin 33.5

Does this value relate to the line noise of 60db anyhow? is 33.5
any good?

Well if it's accurate you can have a 2meg circuit, but as to how it
will actually affect your service.......very little if anything

Old December 9th 03, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 11:03, "Kráftéé" wrote:

If nothing has changed since the last time it would appear that you
are going to fail the line test again.

don't you ever trim qhat you quote ? A couple of lines after some
lengthy quoting isn't ideal, IMHO :-) Peter M.
Old December 9th 03, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NAZGUL

my stats a

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 22.3 31.0 dB
Line Attenuation 56.1 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 45 1
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 59 1
Data Rate 576 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

So there is no hope for me

Old December 9th 03, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631 wrote:
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 11:03, "Kráftéé" wrote:

If nothing has changed since the last time it would appear that you
are going to fail the line test again.

don't you ever trim qhat you quote ? A couple of lines after some
lengthy quoting isn't ideal, IMHO :-) Peter M.

Pity about your caps & spellchecker isn't it...

Old December 9th 03, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

NAZGUL wrote:
my stats a

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 22.3 31.0 dB
Line Attenuation 56.1 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 45 1
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 59 1
Data Rate 576 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

So there is no hope for me

It would help if you hadn't snipped what you are replying to. As it
stands it looks ok for RADSL but nothing else, but what are you
alluding to?....

Remember this isn't a chat room & the order of messages, the retention
of postings & even the loss of postings will differ from one server to
another so including what you are replying to _IS_ a very good idea,
despite what certain posters attempt to say...

Old December 9th 03, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Kráftéé
writes
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
John Lowe wrote:
J Lowe

I think your statement of 63db is only slightly more than 60db is
slightly flawed, it's a non-linear scale. 62.3db is ALOT noiser
than 60db.

not if you're a human:-
(perception goes as log(stimulus) - Weber-Fechner law is it?)

and if you're a telecomms engineer you'll know that:-
max bit rate (per Hz of bandwidth) goes as log(1+signal-to-noise ratio)

so decibels is what you want for both sums
--
robert w hall