Conlflict Fax & Broadband

Old December 9th 03, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

Default Conlflict Fax & Broadband

I have a fax machine which works fine when sending but on receiving I have
problems.

Could it be the sharing with the broadband is causing the error messages. I
have problems with about half the faxes being sent to me. Anything I can do
or do I need to get a new fax machine. But would a new machine make any
difference?

Phil

Old December 9th 03, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Phil" reply to group wrote in message

I have a fax machine which works fine when sending but on receiving I have
problems.

You do have the fax machine plugged into am ADSL filter (good one)?

Old December 9th 03, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades

In message , Phil
writes
I have a fax machine which works fine when sending but on receiving I have
problems.

Could it be the sharing with the broadband is causing the error messages. I
have problems with about half the faxes being sent to me. Anything I can do
or do I need to get a new fax machine. But would a new machine make any
difference?

I can't help much except to say that my ADSL service is on my fax line
and both have worked in perfect harmony for 2 years.

Did the fax machine work satisfactorily, on the same line, prior to ADSL
being enabled?
--
Malcolm

Old December 9th 03, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"Malcolm Loades" wrote in message
In message , Phil
writes
I have a fax machine which works fine when sending but on receiving I

have
problems.

Could it be the sharing with the broadband is causing the error messages.

have problems with about half the faxes being sent to me. Anything I can

do
or do I need to get a new fax machine. But would a new machine make any
difference?

I can't help much except to say that my ADSL service is on my fax line
and both have worked in perfect harmony for 2 years.

Did the fax machine work satisfactorily, on the same line, prior to ADSL
being enabled?
--
Malcolm

I only have faxes in at the rate of 2/3 per month and, including someone
yesterday can recall two other people over the past month saying they were
having problems getting a fax through. I give them another number for a
fax-to-email with Tiscali which seems to work OK.

Phil

Old December 9th 03, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades

In message , Phil
writes

[...]

That's not really answered the question :-(

It doesn't matter that you only have a few a month - did the fax machine
work satisfactorily (for the few a month), on the same line, prior to
ADSL being enabled?

To which another question must now be added. What problems do senders
report, no answer, no ringing tone, failed negotiation, or what?
--
Malcolm

Old December 9th 03, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

[...]

Yes

To which another question must now be added. What problems do senders
report, no answer, no ringing tone, failed negotiation, or what?

Not detailed and no need for me to have taken detailed notes as I did not
realise it was a problem until it occurred yesterday. The printout on my fax
says line error but as I away for several days out the area I intend to get
a friend to send me test faxes this weekend and have them monitor the exact
problem from their end.

Malcolm

Old December 9th 03, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Phil" reply to group wrote in message
.. .
I have a fax machine which works fine when sending but on receiving I

have
problems.

Could it be the sharing with the broadband is causing the error

messages. I
have problems with about half the faxes being sent to me. Anything I

can do
or do I need to get a new fax machine. But would a new machine make

any
difference?

Shareing with DSL could make a differance.

No DSL filter is perfect, they let a little of the DSL signal through to
the FAX which can confuse it, plus they slightly degrade the FAX signal
reaching the machine, though any FAX machine worth it's salt should cope
with that without losing a FAX.

I'd try a differant make DSL filter first, or even two filters one after
the other!

A different FAX machine might be better but you can only really tell by
trying.

--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).

Old December 9th 03, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that.

I will probably treat myself to a new machine.

Phil

Old December 9th 03, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Niall

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:17:28 -0000, "Phil" reply to group wrote:

I will probably treat myself to a new machine.

Do you have a fax modem in your PC, you could try that?

--
Niall