Choosing a wireless router for BT Broadband?

Old December 9th 03, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Default Choosing a wireless router for BT Broadband?

I have a standard BT Broadband connection (512K, USB modem). My daughters
(two of them) have PCs in their bedrooms that I would like to share my
connection. I'm looking for a wireless solution.

I don't know much (a little) about networking (but I'm 100% OK with PCs).

I'm looking for a simple way to share my ASDL connection with my daughters.
Their bedrooms are upstairs (one is directly above my study and one on the
far side of the house - which is a modern i.e.. crap walls, house). All
machines run XP SR1.

I have a tight budget (looking to spend no more than £150 but I appreciate
that this might not network all three machines - two would be OK just now).
I would prefer a router/modem since (if I understand correctly) this means I
don't need to switch on my PC. But it's no big deal. Neither is speed. But
min. 22Mbs.

Apart from Internet access, we would use the network for printing and some
file transfer (MP3s, some video). Maybe the odd game.

Any advice? Please don't refer me to a website since these all sound the
same to me and I'm none-the-wiser after reading the blurb.

Cheers.

Bobby

Old December 9th 03, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

I would suggest a Broadband Router, Netgear DG814 or similar and use it
hardwired to at least one machine with a wireless access point on one of the
other LAN ports to wireless connect to other machines around the house. This
will give you the option to upgrade your wireless at a later date without
making too much of your existing kit redundant (also, I have found this
configuration far easier to set up over a wireless router and modem
configuration).

Old December 9th 03, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Cheers John. Can you explain the relationship between a hard-wired router
and a wireless access point? Does an access point allow other PC to connect
to my router?

news:[email protected]

Old December 9th 03, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Wirelessly, yes. I use D-Link DWL-2000's as access points in my network,
they are easy to setup and seem to have excellent range and are ideal for
hiding in out of the way places.

My thinking being that because you were on a limited budget you could
probably find some 2nd user kit at a good price.

"Bobby" wrote in message
Cheers John. Can you explain the relationship between a hard-wired router
and a wireless access point? Does an access point allow other PC to

connect
to my router?

news:[email protected]

Old December 10th 03, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

So, can I check what I need?

A normal (wired) router which I connect to my modem. Then connect the router
(with a cable) to my PC. Then install a wireless access point on my PC. Then
install wireless network cards in my other PCs.

Have I got it correct?

Cheers.

news:[email protected]

"Bobby" wrote in message
Cheers John. Can you explain the relationship between a hard-wired

router
and a wireless access point? Does an access point allow other PC to

connect
to my router?

news:[email protected]

Old December 10th 03, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Almost, get a router with a built in modem, it makes life a lot easier and
connect to AP to the router, not the wired PC.
"Bobby" wrote in message
So, can I check what I need?

A normal (wired) router which I connect to my modem. Then connect the

router
(with a cable) to my PC. Then install a wireless access point on my PC.

Then
install wireless network cards in my other PCs.

Have I got it correct?

Cheers.

news:[email protected]

"Bobby" wrote in message
Cheers John. Can you explain the relationship between a hard-wired

router
and a wireless access point? Does an access point allow other PC to

connect
to my router?

news:[email protected]

Old December 10th 03, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Thanks for the feedback. But aren't wireless router/modems very expensive?
Can you recommend one? Cheers.

Bobby

news:[email protected]
"Bobby" wrote in message
So, can I check what I need?

A normal (wired) router which I connect to my modem. Then connect the

router
(with a cable) to my PC. Then install a wireless access point on my PC.

Then
install wireless network cards in my other PCs.

Have I got it correct?

Cheers.

news:[email protected]

"Bobby" wrote in message
Cheers John. Can you explain the relationship between a hard-wired

router
and a wireless access point? Does an access point allow other PC to
connect
to my router?

news:[email protected]

Old December 10th 03, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Bobby wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. But aren't wireless router/modems very
expensive? Can you recommend one? Cheers.

Bobby

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk have just announced the new Linksys all in one
wireless ADSL modem/router for £104.99 including VAT, available from early
January. Pre-order now. That puts it well under the cost of equivalent units
from Netger, Belkin, USR and any combination of separates. See here....

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ShopGroupID=38

Regards,
Tim.

--
Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

Old December 11th 03, 04:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In message , Bobby
writes:

I'm looking for a wireless solution.

Unless you are very sure that a combined unit is right for you, please
consider using separate devices, i.e. a router that works with your
ISP/connectivity provider and a separate WAP (Wireless Access Point?)
that has the range for your particular environment.

I found a combined unit worked very well for me, but others mileage has
varied.

A combined unit might work well in a small detached house. A flat might
also be a suitable environment, but then consider security of your
wireless connection. Etc, etc.

--
Jim Crowther "It's MY computer" (tm SMG)
Avoid more swen by dumping your old Usenet addresses, and
Old December 11th 03, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Martin² wrote:
It could be a mistake to buy a cheap one, you can have problems forever
updating firmware and bad range.
Learn from my experience and buy the well recommended Draytek Vigor 2600We,
it has got all the features too.

Or get the wires-only 2600 and a separate wireless unit, so you can locate it
for best radio contact without recabling the rest of your network.

There is no need to go for the faster 54Mbps / 802.11g versions, the extra
speed is only between your computers, no effect on ADSL speed whatever.

That depends on what you want to send between your computers. If you make
regular backups of large files between computers, then you would notice the
difference. For ADSL contact between computers and the net, none at all.

Rod.