Network a scanner

Old December 10th 03, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

Default Network a scanner

I've just ordered the Vigor2600G.

Anyone know a cost effective way to network (wired or wireless) a document
scanner. Willing to buy a scanner if required.

Old December 10th 03, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Niall

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:15:08 -0000, "Mark" wrote:

I've just ordered the Vigor2600G.

Anyone know a cost effective way to network (wired or wireless) a document
scanner. Willing to buy a scanner if required.

I thought about this, mainly because I'm in the process of networking
a multi function device.
While I suppose you could use something like PC Anywhere to control
the scanner remotely, there is little point as you have to be at the
scanner to put the paper through it. Obvious answer is just to save
your scans to a shared folder and access them from wherever you want.

--
Niall
Old December 11th 03, 05:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Mark wrote:

Anyone know a cost effective way to network (wired or wireless) a document
scanner. Willing to buy a scanner if required.

Some of the Epson scanners like the Expression 1680 Pro come with a
network server version of the twain driver. Hence you can run the server
on the computer with the scanner attached and access it from other
computers with the client version of the driver. Not sure if all the
range have this driver - might be worth checking the download page on
their website.

The obvious limitation applies that unless the networked computers are
all physically close to each other! Using a networked scanner is not
quite as easy as using a networked printer...

Would be more usable with an auto document feeder for the scanner however.

HP also do some nice "document sender" scanners. These allow you to
specify a destination for the scan from the scanner itself - including
email. You scan and send - go back to your computer and the scan is
waiting for you sat in a PDF file on an email attachment.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old December 11th 03, 08:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

Thanks for the pointers

Old December 12th 03, 05:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Peter wrote:

You scan and send - go back to your computer and the scan is
waiting for you sat in a PDF file on an email attachment.

A few megabytes in size if you spec'd the resolution wrong

I presume that is why the call them "document" senders to encourage you
not to scan your holiday snaps ;-)

To be fair the HP one I tried at a clients did a pretty good job of
making a nice small PDF from an ordinary page of text... about 9K or so.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old December 14th 03, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Albrow

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Peter wrote:

You scan and send - go back to your computer and the scan is
waiting for you sat in a PDF file on an email attachment.

A few megabytes in size if you spec'd the resolution wrong

I presume that is why the call them "document" senders to encourage you
not to scan your holiday snaps ;-)

To be fair the HP one I tried at a clients did a pretty good job of
making a nice small PDF from an ordinary page of text... about 9K or so.

Sheet music didn't go too well though for me. Nor did the script I was
trying to scan in.

Bloated and ugly looking. I kind of wish they would provide more options to
preview and say what it is scanning (enabling you to keep the size down) -
could be a problem though as PDF isn't an open source app and adobe would
probably either sue HP or charge them loads in licencing.

I suppose its all part of copyright protection though. Of cource I didn't
actually want to do it, it was only for technical research purposes...hm.

Sam

--
Cheers,

John.

---
Sent from \\STN1 on HOMENET1 by user Sam Albrow 'Administrator'.