Tiscali 150K

Old December 10th 03, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark W

Default Tiscali 150K

Tiscali's website informs me that I can't have their 150K service because
their own BB network doesn't cover my area. How is that, I thought it was
all done over BT lines?

I don't want 256K for £20, I am trying to get the cheapest BB for the
purpose of freeing my phone line.

Old December 10th 03, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bat Guano

Mark W wrote:

Tiscali's website informs me that I can't have their 150K service because
their own BB network doesn't cover my area. How is that, I thought it was
all done over BT lines?

I don't want 256K for £20, I am trying to get the cheapest BB for the
purpose of freeing my phone line.

Try another providers checker e.g.
http://www.getadsl.co.uk/olo_availab...ode=dslSurf500

Old December 10th 03, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Mark W" [email protected] wrote in message
Tiscali's website informs me that I can't have their 150K service because
their own BB network doesn't cover my area. How is that, I thought it was
all done over BT lines?

I don't want 256K for £20, I am trying to get the cheapest BB for the
purpose of freeing my phone line.

Tiscali do use BT's ADSL network but for backhaul from the exchange to their
network they use something called BT DataStream which has to be set up by
the ISP per exchange. Obviously Tiscali haven't set it up at your exchange

Most ADSL ISP's use something else called BT IPStream to provide the
backhaul and IPStream is run my BT Wholesale and available nationwide (not
on an per exchange basis)

You may be having a lucky escape with Tiscali though - many people report
problems with their service or poor billing etc.

Depending on your usage patterns have a look at Metronet's service
(http://www.metronet.co.uk/adsl/paygo) which is from £10/month +vat or
Plusnet's £18.99 service (http://www.plus.net) as alternatives.

Regards
Sunil

Old December 10th 03, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:52:49 -0000, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

[...]

Out of interest.......

Is there a reason why an ISP would use Datastream over IPstream when
IPstream offers service from any BT ADSL enabled exchange?

I'm guessing that cost plays a part here but could limitations with
an ISPs infrastructure also be a factor?

Cheers
Paul
Old December 10th 03, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bat Guano

Mugwump wrote:

The ISP has more control over Datastream connections (IPStream is
controlled by BTW). In Tiscali's case the 150k offering is actually a
512k Datastream connection throttled to 150k.

Somebody posted earlier that Tiscali actually throttle the 2meg service
to 150k - hence the suggestion to look at other providers because 512k
is less restricted than 2meg.

Old December 11th 03, 02:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Mark W:
I don't want 256K for £20, I am trying to get the cheapest BB for the
purpose of freeing my phone line.

You can get 512k for £18.99 from PlusNet, better value then Tiscali and
better service too !
(But if you need P2P or binaries it will be £21.99.)
If you decide to go with PlusNet use my id 'jerryw' as a referrer and save
me some pennies,
thanks and regards,
Martin

Old December 11th 03, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:58:28 -0000, Mugwump wrote:

I thought they just used the 512 services and throttled them. You learn
something new every day.

A throttled datastream service like this would normally get
provisioned on a 2MB line if possible, but if only RADSL is available
it will get provisioned at 512K.

Regards,

Ian
--
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -------
Old December 11th 03, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:34:05 -0000, "Martin²"
wrote:

Mark W:
I don't want 256K for £20, I am trying to get the cheapest BB for the
purpose of freeing my phone line.

You can get 512k for £18.99 from PlusNet, better value then Tiscali and
better service too !
(But if you need P2P or binaries it will be £21.99.)

We will shortly be making press releases in relation to our new trial
'DSL Connect' service, which was launched for pre-registrations today
- Details are he
http://www.plus.net/info2/residentia...l_connect.html

Pricing details are behind the signup link and more info will follow!

Regards,

Ian
Old December 11th 03, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, PlusNet Support Team wrote:

http://www.plus.net/info2/residentia...l_connect.html
Pricing details are behind the signup link and more info will follow!

Thanks for that. Looks interesting as it means another service being
offered at a reasonable price (whatever the "pay 19/22/25 and have a
full speed may think, there are some for whom "always on" is rather
important and the speed less so), from a firm which many trust. PGM
Old December 11th 03, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasper

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:49:38 +0000, Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, PlusNet Support Team wrote:

http://www.plus.net/info2/residentia...l_connect.html
Pricing details are behind the signup link and more info will follow!

Thanks for that. Looks interesting as it means another service being
offered at a reasonable price (whatever the "pay 19/22/25 and have a
full speed may think, there are some for whom "always on" is rather
important and the speed less so), from a firm which many trust. PGM

There's also a £70.50 signup fee whereas most other providers are
offering free sign-up....