newbie question

Old December 10th 03, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matt Hicks

Default newbie question

apologies in advance for this, but hey I took the plunge and ordered PIPEX
1mb this morning, but I'm a bit lost then it comes to connecting the thing
when my modem finally arrives.

My understanding is that I get 2 microfilters as standard, I'm not sure if
this is enough:

my set up at home:
1 main BT line, which has extension to a phone upstairs, which in turn has
an extension to the room where the ADSL will live. How the hell do I
configure this? So that's 3 phones, one line, 2 extensions.

Anyone kind enough to show some seasonal greetings and help me out?

many thanks in advance!

Matt.

Old December 10th 03, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Matt Hicks" wrote in message
My understanding is that I get 2 microfilters as standard, I'm not sure if
this is enough:

my set up at home:
1 main BT line, which has extension to a phone upstairs, which in turn has
an extension to the room where the ADSL will live. How the hell do I
configure this? So that's 3 phones, one line, 2 extensions.

Anyone kind enough to show some seasonal greetings and help me out?

Each telephone needs a filter.
The modem signal should not be filtered.

So it sounds like you need one more filter.

Regards
Sunil

Old December 10th 03, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bat Guano

Matt Hicks wrote:
apologies in advance for this, but hey I took the plunge and ordered PIPEX
1mb this morning, but I'm a bit lost then it comes to connecting the thing
when my modem finally arrives.

My understanding is that I get 2 microfilters as standard, I'm not sure if
this is enough:

my set up at home:
1 main BT line, which has extension to a phone upstairs, which in turn has
an extension to the room where the ADSL will live. How the hell do I
configure this? So that's 3 phones, one line, 2 extensions.

Anyone kind enough to show some seasonal greetings and help me out?

many thanks in advance!

You have to filter each phone, so easiest to have 3 filters. Note that
you have to filter things like sky boxes, faxes, alarms. You can have
one filter filtering a number of devices if you can adjust the way the
extensions plug into the main socket. Just make sure the ADSL connection
is unfiltered.

Old December 10th 03, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hopelessly

"Matt Hicks" wrote in message
My understanding is that I get 2 microfilters as standard, I'm not sure if
this is enough:

my set up at home:
1 main BT line, which has extension to a phone upstairs, which in turn has
an extension to the room where the ADSL will live. How the hell do I
configure this? So that's 3 phones, one line, 2 extensions.

You *might* (and probably will) need one microfilter for each
telephone/fax/answering-machine/PC-modem/Alarm/etc. I say might because my
ADSL line was configured by BT (I am also with Pipex) before the
microfilters arrived. I found no noise on the line what so ever even with
the PC performing a very large download via FTP. When the filters arrived a
few days later I duly plugged them in between the phones and the sockets and
guess what - nothing.

I found no difference on my line whether the microfilters were fitted or
not. But when I repeated this on the ADSL line at work, boy was there a big
difference. So I guess whether you hear any noise or not depends on your
line conditions.

Old December 12th 03, 04:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Hopelessly wrote:

You *might* (and probably will) need one microfilter for each

No might about it... ;-)

telephone/fax/answering-machine/PC-modem/Alarm/etc. I say might because my
ADSL line was configured by BT (I am also with Pipex) before the

I assume by "configured by BT" you refer to the exchange end and you
don't mean an engineer installed ADSL upgrade rather than a "wires only"
one? If you do, then take note that the engineer will normally fit a
"whole house" filter on the master socket that will filter all the
extensions in one go hence no need for microfilters (although you would
then need to plug the ADSL modem / router into the master socket.

microfilters arrived. I found no noise on the line what so ever even with
the PC performing a very large download via FTP. When the filters arrived a
few days later I duly plugged them in between the phones and the sockets and
guess what - nothing.

The filter is not there to stop the ADSL signal from interfering with
your phone - although if you have a phone that is affected by the signal
(most are not) it will solve that problem as well.

I found no difference on my line whether the microfilters were fitted or
not. But when I repeated this on the ADSL line at work, boy was there a big
difference. So I guess whether you hear any noise or not depends on your
line conditions.

The primary purpose of the filter is to prevent your phones from
injecting any high frequency noise onto your line that could disrupt the
ADSL signal. (Phones tend to produce bursts of high frequency noise
when you pick up the receiver or hand up)

You can usually show this by plugging a phone in without a filter and
taking it on and off hook a few times. This will often cause loss of
broadband connectivity for a few moments.

--
Cheers,

John.