Strange ADSL failure

Old December 10th 03, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony

Default Strange ADSL failure

I live in a very small town in Somserset called Shepton Mallet. It has its
own BT exchange which is relatively new & hi-tech and was ADSL was enabled
on October 1st. I live on a brand new estate and the BT checker said I
should be able to get 2mbits.

I applied for 512k with Pipex and they have just told me that I have failed
the tests ... we don't know why until tomorrow but with distance to exchange
and newness of cable not likely to be the problem, what else is left ??

Old December 10th 03, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Anthony" wrote in message
I live in a very small town in Somserset called Shepton Mallet. It has

its
own BT exchange which is relatively new & hi-tech and was ADSL was enabled
on October 1st. I live on a brand new estate and the BT checker said I
should be able to get 2mbits.

I applied for 512k with Pipex and they have just told me that I have

failed
the tests ... we don't know why until tomorrow but with distance to

exchange
and newness of cable not likely to be the problem, what else is left ??

A TPON line... where BT have fitted fibre in the local loop is a possibility

Regards
Sunil

Old December 10th 03, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Pilbeam

"Anthony" wrote in message
I live in a very small town in Somserset called Shepton Mallet. It

has its
own BT exchange which is relatively new & hi-tech and was ADSL was

enabled
on October 1st. I live on a brand new estate and the BT checker said

should be able to get 2mbits.

I applied for 512k with Pipex and they have just told me that I have

failed
the tests ... we don't know why until tomorrow but with distance to

exchange
and newness of cable not likely to be the problem, what else is left

??

Estate fed via TPON (Fibre) ??

Old December 10th 03, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony

Hello Steven,

As I don't know what TPON is I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.
It's about 300 houses built since the late 90's.

Old December 10th 03, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Anthony" wrote in message
As I don't know what TPON is I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or

not.
It's about 300 houses built since the late 90's.

For ADSL to work your local loop needs to consist of copper (sometimes
Aluminium)

In the late 80's/90 BT thought that fibre in the local loop was "the future"
and so installed it in certain areas - mainly new housing estates etc.

ADSL will not work on TPON lines - in some of the areas affected, BT have
announced they are going to overlay the fibre with copper and switch
customers who want ADSL over to that.

Even if your area has not been listed for this overlay process, when BT
installed TPON, they normally installed a small quantity of copper lines for
certain services they new even then did not work with fibre.

If your line is fed via TPON, it may be possible for you to change to a
copper line and then get ADSL

Regards
Sunil

Old December 10th 03, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Pilbeam

TPON=Fibre optic cable upto the main box in the road. I wasn't being
sarcastic ! thats why I put Fibre in brackets so you would know what
TPON is !

Old December 10th 03, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HamMan

"Anthony" wrote in message
So why would BT do that then ??

in the future all the copper will be replaced with fibre coming right upto
houses, BT were trying to get ahead, then backed away to copper because of
obvious cost issues.

Old December 11th 03, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

HamMan wrote:
"Anthony" wrote in message
So why would BT do that then ??

in the future all the copper will be replaced with fibre coming
right upto houses, BT were trying to get ahead, then backed away to
copper because of obvious cost issues.

Don't forget the constaraints placed upon then by the goverment at the
time, who stated that it would be better handled by private
industry....

Old December 12th 03, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

In article ,
"HamMan" writes:

"Anthony" wrote in message
So why would BT do that then ??

in the future all the copper will be replaced with fibre coming right upto
houses, BT were trying to get ahead, then backed away to copper because of
obvious cost issues.

It was also an ideal way of serving brand new housing estates cropping up
on the edge of towns when ducts between there and the exchange were
perhaps close to full with copper. The fibre-most-of-the-way solution
(fibre to street box, copper to house) was a neat solution to this
problem and employed in a number of locations.

Potentially, it is also an excellent way of providing quite high speed
broadband. The limiting factor, the copper section (street box to house)
is nicely short. The problem is that with such a tiny number of homes
provided phone service in this way, BT didn't want to invest in a special
ADSL solution for them. Adapting the street boxes to take ADSL equipment
would probably be a pretty awkward task too.

It's ironic that fibre can deliver so much more, but due to it being used
in such a tiny fraction of BT "local loops", it ends up ignored (in this
context) delivering a lot less than old copper.

Another irony is that the cable networks also happen to be a very similar
affair: fibre to a nearby street box, and then copper into the home.
However, it's a very different technology. The cable networks actually
deliver broadband on the TV style (coax) part of the cable, designed for
high frequencies. Of course, those brand new housing estates served by BT
TPON, probably don't see those cable TV networks, as by the end of the
90's the two main cable TV companies had run out of funds, and couldn't
afford to cable up anywhere else.

The promise of the wonders that fibre will bring - "Communication at the
speed of light" according to one advertising campaign - obviously now has
a rather hollow ring to those affected by TPON.

-- Tim Clark

This contributuion has been checked for viruses and it is guaranteed
there exist an infinite number of Turing machines for which it is a
virus.