1mb

Old December 10th 03, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bri B

Default 1mb

I've seen lots of mention made of the 1mb service from BT, but how do
I get it?

I curently have the 512k service and want to upgrade, but according to
them (I called them earlier), BT don't do a 1mb service.

How did those using it get it??

Bri B
Old December 11th 03, 12:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"steve" wrote in message
with ISP that are offering it such as Plusnet who I will be with from the
17th

I have the 1mb from fast24 www.fast24.co.uk took ages to get connected
although now I'm on I'm having no probs (although it must be noted from the
forums many people are having problems.)

Old December 11th 03, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Bri B wrote:

I've seen lots of mention made of the 1mb service from BT, but how do
I get it?

I curently have the 512k service and want to upgrade, but according to
them (I called them earlier), BT don't do a 1mb service.

If your current ISP wont offer a 1Mb service you'll need to migrate to one
that does in order to have it.

Before you do so remember to check that the availability checker lists
your number as likely to support a 1Mb or 2Mb connection. Generally
speaking if you are within 3Km of the exchange it will however it's based
upon line quality not distance so do check.

Jason Clifford
--
JustADSL 1Mb Home ADSL just £31.99 / month
http://www.justadsl.com/ Business ADSL from £30/month

Old January 26th 04, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BriB

So how is Plusnet? My 12 months with BT Broadband is up and they
can't give me 1mb as I'm too far from the exchange apparently,
although my router says the loop distance is "approximately 7k feet"
and the s/n figure is a steady 20dB and the ATEN is (also steady) at
32dB downstream and 16dB upstream.

Dunno if any of that matters...

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:44:35 -0000, "steve" shot
his/her mouth off again, this time saying:

with ISP that are offering it such as Plusnet who I will be with from the
17th

.. .

Old January 27th 04, 07:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jester

"Nick Shaw" wrote in message

"BriB" wrote in message
So how is Plusnet? My 12 months with BT Broadband is up and they
can't give me 1mb as I'm too far from the exchange apparently,
although my router says the loop distance is "approximately 7k feet"
and the s/n figure is a steady 20dB and the ATEN is (also steady) at
32dB downstream and 16dB upstream.

Dunno if any of that matters...

snip

I'm have 2 Mbps (from Plus). I'm a lot closer to the exchange than you,

but
my measurements a SNR Margin 31, loop att. 23.5. An untutored eye would
think that your figures are similar to mine.

HTH

Nick

Thats interesting, I spoke to BT last weekend and they told me that I am
also too far away for a 1mb connection (Im out of contract also) Plusnet is
where I am intending to migrate to. I have no idea how to get the figures
you quote though - is there a way for me to check what they tell me?

Old January 27th 04, 07:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Shaw

"Jester" wrote in message

"Nick Shaw" wrote in message

"BriB" wrote in message
[...]

My router tells me my figures, is it something that you can get out of your
equipment?

Cheers

Nick

Old January 27th 04, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

"BriB" wrote in message
So how is Plusnet? My 12 months with BT Broadband is up and they
can't give me 1mb as I'm too far from the exchange apparently,
although my router says the loop distance is "approximately 7k feet"
and the s/n figure is a steady 20dB and the ATEN is (also steady) at
32dB downstream and 16dB upstream.

Dunno if any of that matters...

Bloody bt
Cant believe how much i have been paying to bt for my standard 500k for the
last year when i can get it so much cheaper elsewhere, ive just phoned up
and i am transferring to pipex!.

Old January 27th 04, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
F F Skitty

"Jester" wrote in message

"Nick Shaw" wrote in message

"BriB" wrote in message
[...]

It may also be worth noting that a BT person
(from BT Broadband Contact Centre 0800 800060)
told me today that their standards for a 1Mbps connection from BT differ
from "other ISP's"; what they are apparently telling you is only whether
they'd accept you onto the *BT* 1Mbps product. And their tolerances are
apparently not the same as those you may get from (some?) other ISP's, even
over BT lines. (? - just passing on what they said)

Old January 27th 04, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

F F Skitty wrote:
"Jester" wrote in message

"Nick Shaw" wrote in message

"BriB" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't pay much attention to that hot air as the minimum line specs are
the same no matter what ISP you decide to go with.

Old January 27th 04, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
F F Skitty

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
snip
F F Skitty wrote:

It may also be worth noting that a BT person
(from BT Broadband Contact Centre 0800 800060)
told me today that their standards for a 1Mbps connection from BT
differ from "other ISP's"; what they are apparently telling you is
only whether they'd accept you onto the *BT* 1Mbps product. And
their tolerances are apparently not the same as those you may get
from (some?) other ISP's, even over BT lines. (? - just passing on
what they said)

I wouldn't pay much attention to that hot air as the minimum line specs

are
the same no matter what ISP you decide to go with.

So, BT do a line-check for free if you ring the above number. Great, I
guess...

Except, in the event, they couldn't actually "connect" to my line and
haven't yet got back to me as promised.

(BT couldn't connect to a BT line?)