Is there one?...... (perhaps OT... not sure)

Old December 11th 03, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Burn

Default Is there one?...... (perhaps OT... not sure)

I'm looking at allowing 2 of my PC's access to the net via one ADSL modem.
I'd rather not faff around with network cards, or crossover cables as
basically......I can't afford them, so I was wondering if there is something
available for USB as there are for parallel cables? (the switch boxes...
only ... without the switch, lol).

Bearing in mind, the PC's are 3 floors apart (one in my bedroom, the other
in the sitting room on the bottom floor).

Apologies if I've asked this before btw.......I honestly can't remember.

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Old December 11th 03, 08:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Hill

Steven Burn uttered in :

I'm looking at allowing 2 of my PC's access to the net via one ADSL modem.
I'd rather not faff around with network cards, or crossover cables as
basically......I can't afford them, so I was wondering if there is
something available for USB as there are for parallel cables? (the switch
boxes... only ... without the switch, lol).

Bearing in mind, the PC's are 3 floors apart (one in my bedroom, the other
in the sitting room on the bottom floor).

The easiest way would be wireless. 1 wireless WAP plugged into the modem's
switch, and wifi adapters for the PCs. You can get USB wifi, so that
should solve the USB part.

--
Posting addr feeds straight to DCC and others. dhill + nntp = cricalix ,
net for direct mail.
Old December 11th 03, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Burn

Duncan Hill wrote in message
snip

The easiest way would be wireless. 1 wireless WAP plugged into the

modem's
switch, and wifi adapters for the PCs. You can get USB wifi, so that
should solve the USB part.

Cheers...... I'll look into it )

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Old December 11th 03, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Steven Burn wrote:
I'm looking at allowing 2 of my PC's access to the net via one ADSL modem.
I'd rather not faff around with network cards, or crossover cables as
basically......I can't afford them, so I was wondering if there is something
available for USB as there are for parallel cables? (the switch boxes...
only ... without the switch, lol).

Bearing in mind, the PC's are 3 floors apart (one in my bedroom, the other
in the sitting room on the bottom floor).

Apologies if I've asked this before btw.......I honestly can't remember.

Presumably if you can't afford network cards you can't afford a wireless
network system either, so you're going to need three floors worth of cables of
some sort whatever you do, as you won't be able to connect your computers
together by magic. The simplest, crudest, cheapest way of allowing either
computer to use the ADSL unit (though not both at the same time) would be to
run a USB cable extension (presuming you've bought a USB modem already), and
swapping plugs as required. If you haven't got, or don't want to spend, the
money to do the job properly, then I don't know what else to suggest. It does
seem a bit of a shame to spoil the elegance of a multi-computer system (costing
how many hundreds?) for the sake of perhaps 50 extra hardware.

Rod.

Old December 11th 03, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bat Guano

Duncan Hill wrote:

1 wireless WAP plugged into the modem's
switch,

What's a "modem switch"?

Old December 11th 03, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Burn

Roderick Stewart wrote in message
snip

[...]

/snip

With my finances the way they are at the moment, it appears that the tons of
cabling is the only way forward (you are right in thinking I can't afford a
wireless setup.......I've just checked the cost...lol).

I'll just leave it till the end of Feb next year.......if all goes well, I
should be able to afford to do it the "proper" way.

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Old December 11th 03, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Watson

In article , [email protected]
mate.co.uk says...

With my finances the way they are at the moment, it appears that the tons of
cabling is the only way forward (you are right in thinking I can't afford a
wireless setup.......I've just checked the cost...lol).

I'll just leave it till the end of Feb next year.......if all goes well, I
should be able to afford to do it the "proper" way.

You still might find that setting up a network is cheaper. USB cables
are relatively expensive and when I looked at extension cables the
longest I could find was 5m (I think that's all USB is spec'ed to work
at but I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong G)

Network cards are very cheap, as is CAT5 cable...

Peter
Old December 11th 03, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"Steven Burn" wrote in message
I'm looking at allowing 2 of my PC's access to the net via one ADSL modem.
I'd rather not faff around with network cards, or crossover cables as
basically......I can't afford them, so I was wondering if there is

something
available for USB as there are for parallel cables? (the switch boxes...
only ... without the switch, lol).

Bearing in mind, the PC's are 3 floors apart (one in my bedroom, the other
in the sitting room on the bottom floor).

Apologies if I've asked this before btw.......I honestly can't remember.

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Steve

I know you say in your post you don't want to faff around with network cards
or crossover, but it is a very cheap solution (with drawbacks). Two network
cards + Xover cable can be purchased for about 1 months ADSL line charges
(~20). The drawbacks are - one PC is always on (the one with the USB
modem) and there will be a loss of performance. Probably other drawbacks.

I'm not sure how long USB (extension) cables can be, but I suspect they
won't be that cheap, if they exist, for 3 floors.

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old December 11th 03, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Burn

Whats the best way to do it so there's no loss of performance? (that doesn't
cost the earth that is....).

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Old December 11th 03, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Burn

Peter, I'll have a look at my options when my finances improve..... thanks
for the reply )

--

Regards

Steven Burn