Netgear MR314 vs MR814 (vs Buffalo)

Old December 11th 03, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Fryatt

Default Netgear MR314 vs MR814 (vs Buffalo)

Hi,

I'm planning to update my small home network as follows:
- add a router to allow access to Internet from any PC.
- add wireless access for the portable.

Curretn hardware is: Old PII/400 tower machine, Dell portable, both with
wired NICs, Netgear basic 4-port hub, ntl cable modem. Planning to add
another machine in new year (not a portable).

So, I'm looking at Buffalo and Netgear combined WAP/router/switches.
In the Buffalo range I think I need a WBR-G54 or a WBR-B11, depending on
what I can find at what price.
Netgear's range confuses me a little more. I think I need either an MR314 or
an MR814.
I know the 814 is the newer model, but can anyone please explain the
differences between the 314 and 814. Does the 814 offer significant
benefits?

(I know there are other variations on these boxes, e.g. combined modem/WAP,
etc. etc. but I have a modem, from ntl, so theWAP/router/switch seems right.
However, if you have any better arrangement to suggest I'd be happy to hear
about it)

Thanks for any advice, John

---