Another newbie question

Old December 11th 03, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jazzer

Default Another newbie question

Hi can anyone help......I have recently had my line upgraded to recieve
broadband. I have a BT line in with a phone and a sky box with phone
connection downstairs and a phone upstairs. I have a USB broadband modem
into the back of my PC and going into the ADSL part of the filter and the
downstairs phone into the phone socket of the same , the filter goes into
the white connection box The 2nd phone comes from the box and heads of up
the stairs where i have another filter with the same set up for my daughters
laptop. Despite trying a few connection set ups if my daughter wants to
connect her broadband connection i have to either unplug the downstairs USB
or ADSL part or she gets the no dial tone message, what i cant understand is
why this happens even when the downstairs pc isny connected to the net. Its
not a
huge problem but is there a way round this, i have an ethernet card in both
if thats any help.

thanks in advance
Jazzer

Old December 11th 03, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Jazzer wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you are trying to connect two broadband modems to one
line.
This doesn't work.
Old December 11th 03, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jazzer

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

It sounds like you are trying to connect two broadband modems to one
line.
This doesn't work.

Even when one modem isnt in use in terms of the pc being switched off ? if
so what are the alternatives apart from getting another line :-)

Jazzer

Old December 11th 03, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Jazzer" wrote in message

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

It sounds like you are trying to connect two broadband modems to one
line.
This doesn't work.

Even when one modem isnt in use in terms of the pc being switched off ?

if
so what are the alternatives apart from getting another line :-)

Yes, having two modems attached to a line disrupts the ADSL signal even if
it is switched off.

You should look at networking the two machines together, either using
cabling (attached to the ethernet cards in each machine) or wirelessly.

uk.comp.home-networking is probably best placed to advise.

Mention:

1) Your budget
2) Do you want it done using wires (one computer to another) or wirelessly
(more expensive)
3) What kind of modem you currently have
4) If you want the computers to access the internet independently or do not
mind having one on while the other one is accessing the net

Regards
Sunil

Old December 11th 03, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jazzer

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Jazzer" wrote in message

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

You should look at networking the two machines together, either using
cabling (attached to the ethernet cards in each machine) or wirelessly.

uk.comp.home-networking is probably best placed to advise.

Mention:

1) Your budget
2) Do you want it done using wires (one computer to another) or wirelessly
(more expensive)
3) What kind of modem you currently have
4) If you want the computers to access the internet independently or do

not
mind having one on while the other one is accessing the net

Regards
Sunil

Ok Sunil will do cheers

Jazzer.

Old December 12th 03, 05:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Jazzer wrote:

huge problem but is there a way round this, i have an ethernet card in both
if thats any help.

The nicest solution to this problem is to ditch the USB modems and get a
ADSL router. You hook both computers to it via a network cable, and it
will let you both surf at once if you want. Some more background info he-

http://www.internode.co.uk/service_homeadsl.htm

--
Cheers,

John.