Speedtouch 510v4 question

Old December 11th 03, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Whiteflyer

Default Speedtouch 510v4 question

I just want to know how acurate are the spped setting on this router?

On the DSL line status mine says
Speed (Kbit/sec) 288 up / 576 down

For a 512k line that looks too fast, or am I just lucky

whiteflyer

--
No e-mail address here please reply via newsgroup

Old December 11th 03, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 11 Dec 2003, "Whiteflyer" wrote:

Speed (Kbit/sec) 288 up / 576 down
For a 512k line that looks too fast, or am I just lucky

divide by 9, multiply by 8, and can you then see figures more
easily acceptable ? In PC RAM is was common to have a "parity"
bit for each byte, so 9 bits for 8 bits of data... there are
overheads to get you your 512k (and that data rate will still
be carrying data for addressing and other purposes, reducing
the actual quantity of data because of "housekeeping data" in
your data stream, too, so you are likely to see traffic below
62000 bytes per second, rather than 64000 bytes (which would
be the theoretic maximum for 512000 bits per second). PGM