Ad hoc network

Old December 12th 03, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Default Ad hoc network

Is it possible to create a wireless LAN just using two wireless network
adapters (in two PCs - one connected to the Net using a BT's USB modem)?

I want to share my Internet connection with my daughter's PC (upstairs in
her bedroom) and also share files and printers. Is this possible using two
network cards? Or do I need something else (such as a router or access
point)?

If it is possible, how difficult is it to set-up? And what do I lose by not
spending money on a router or wireless modem?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old December 12th 03, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Bobby" wrote in message
Is it possible to create a wireless LAN just using two wireless network
adapters (in two PCs - one connected to the Net using a BT's USB modem)?

Yes.

If it is possible, how difficult is it to set-up? And what do I lose by

not
spending money on a router or wireless modem?

Its not too difficult to set up.

If you don't have a router/wireless modem it means that the computer with
the USB ADSL modem attached will have to be on and connected to the internet
for the other computer to have access to the internet.

Regards
Sunil

Old December 12th 03, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ardl02029_3

"Bobby" wrote in message
Is it possible to create a wireless LAN just using two wireless network
adapters (in two PCs - one connected to the Net using a BT's USB modem)?

I want to share my Internet connection with my daughter's PC (upstairs in
her bedroom) and also share files and printers. Is this possible using two
network cards? Or do I need something else (such as a router or access
point)?

If it is possible, how difficult is it to set-up? And what do I lose by

not
spending money on a router or wireless modem?

Cheers.

Bobby

Yes it will work but why bother.
The main PC would have to be on first.
Just buy an ADSL router.
They are pence now in comparison to router prices of yesteryear.

Al

Old December 13th 03, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 12 Dec 2003 "Sunil Sood" wrote:

the computer with the USB ADSL modem attached will have to be on
and connected to the internet for the other computer to have
access to the internet

I expect this is an ideal situation for many parents... Peter M.
Old December 13th 03, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Just buy an ADSL router.
They are pence now in comparison to router prices of yesteryear.

I keep hearing this. But they're not. Unless I'm looking at the wrong
routers. Wireless routers start at 100. And that's not "pennies" to me.