New connection questions

Old December 12th 03, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael

Default New connection questions

I have ordered broadband from freedom2surf and was given an activation
date of 17 December. (my exchange was only enabled 10 December)
Yesterday I got a call from an engineer at the local exchange saying my
number would be enabled in a few days. So I went out and bought a
router/modem with ethernet and usb connections (Binatone adsl 2000).

Today I got another call from the engineer saying I was activated. So I
contacted f2s and asked if they could activate me. They replied that
17th was the activation date they had but if everything worked when I
plugged in then they wouldn't have a problem with me connecting right away.

Anyway, to cut a long story short ..it don't work.

Here is what I have checked/ascertained.

All connections are ok, as are settings...as far as my knowledge goes.

Modem dsl light blinks at a constant rate...handbook says it is trying
to establish a connection.

Diagnostics tells me adsl synchronization failed

I have tried logging on using "[email protected]_domain" which doesn't
connect.

So, while I am quite computer savvy, I am not network savvy. Does this mean:

The local exchange hasn't activated me and I should be calling the bloke
back and telling him?

or

f2s having activated me yet?

or

The modem is faulty?

Any insights would be most welcome.

Thanks

Old December 13th 03, 02:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Today I got another call from the engineer saying I was activated.
Modem dsl light blinks at a constant rate...handbook says it is trying
to establish a connection.
Diagnostics tells me adsl synchronization failed
So, while I am quite computer savvy, I am not network savvy. Does this mean:
The local exchange hasn't activated me and I should be calling the bloke
back and telling him?

I`m no expert, but this sounds to me like your line has NOT been
activated - the modem will sync whether you have an account you can use
or not, as far as I know :-}

Old December 13th 03, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:29:23 +0000, Michael wrote:

I have ordered broadband from freedom2surf and was given an activation
date of 17 December. (my exchange was only enabled 10 December) Yesterday
I got a call from an engineer at the local exchange saying my number would
be enabled in a few days. So I went out and bought a router/modem with
ethernet and usb connections (Binatone adsl 2000).

So, while I am quite computer savvy, I am not network savvy. Does this
mean:

The local exchange hasn't activated me and I should be calling the bloke
back and telling him?

or

f2s having activated me yet?

or

The modem is faulty?

Any insights would be most welcome.

Thanks

I have one those, great little device. AS the other poster said it looks
like your not activated yet. My ADSL 2000 takes about 45secs to sync
approx.

Dave

Old December 13th 03, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 13 Dec 2003, Colin Wilson wrote:

this sounds to me like your line has NOT been activated - the
modem will sync whether you have an account you can use or not

When a friend's line had been enabled, I put a router on for the
extra dignostics and the ISP quickly concluded that there was a
DACS on the line. Took BT around 10 days to remove it, but as
you can imagine all was fine from then on. Eclipse then used
the actual date of it working as billing date (and presumably
negotiated same with BT as it wasn't suitable for use until
they corrected the situation). Peter M.
Old December 13th 03, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Michael wrote:

Diagnostics tells me adsl synchronization failed

I have tried logging on using "[email protected]_domain" which doesn't
connect.

Not your ISP's problem (unless you'rb bought some sort of all-in-one support
from them).

Have you tried connecting with just the modem/router plugged into the master
socket - NO filters, NO phones?

Can you borrow a router?

--
Paul

Old December 13th 03, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Michael" wrote in message
All connections are ok, as are settings...as far as my knowledge goes.

VPI/VCI settings are 0 and 38 ?

Its set to PPPoA?

Its set to VCMUX ? (if it is, try the other options - they sometimes work)

Regards
Sunil

Old December 13th 03, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Michael" wrote in message
This is the clue - your hardware is installed but your activation date

is
the 17th as you say.

Glaringly obvious I would suggest - the line doesnıt go live until the

17th

I disagree - IPStream lines "go live" as soon as BT install the ADSL
equipment on that line - it is only if you have an ISP that doesn't enable
your details on its RADIUS servers etc that you have a problem.

I called BT fault reporting today ans this was their explanation. They
said according to their records there was still outstanding work on the
line and the engineer shouldn't have told me that the line was live.
So....I wouldn't have batted an eyelid until the 17th if the bloke
hadn't called me. Good job I didn't dismantle my satellite broadband yet.

BT Fault reporting won't help you - not even after the 17th

Your contract is with the ISP and you need to go via them if BT have to get
involved + your ISP have already told you that they are happy for you to use
your service if you get connected early.. - though I doubt they will log a
fault against your line until the 17th.

If you line sync's with your exchange, recheck your settings...

Regards
Sunil

Old December 13th 03, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

On 13/12/2003 "Graham in Melton" opined:-
This is the clue - your hardware is installed but your activation date is
the 17th as you say.

Glaringly obvious I would suggest - the line doesnıt go live until the 17th
!

Just because everyone has finished their work, doesnıt automatically mean
you get access until the activation date I would suggest ..... Some people
do on occasion, but thatıs your issue imo.

Once BT have done their bit, the modem will be able to sync (Showtime),
although then you may be waiting for your ISP to activate their end.

'Showtime' will be the first indication that there is ADSL on the line
and then is a good time to start to chase your ISP if they have not
already activated your account.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org