analogue modem using BB line

Old December 13th 03, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Emma

Default analogue modem using BB line

I find that I cant connect using my analogue modem on the
broadband-enaboled line.
If I connect to my other phone line (non broadband) I'm connected
every time immediately.
Switch to the BB line and very occasionally (maybe 1 attempt in 20) I
will be connected (after a long wait) but usually I get a 'remote
computer cannot connect message).
Has anybody else had the same problem.
Does anyone have a solution?
Ive truied several ISPs and its the same problem with any dial-up ISP
I use.
Ive even tried disconnecting the BB modem and still no joy.
Old December 13th 03, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:21:29 GMT, (Emma) wrote:

I find that I cant connect using my analogue modem on the
broadband-enaboled line.
If I connect to my other phone line (non broadband) I'm connected
every time immediately.
Switch to the BB line and very occasionally (maybe 1 attempt in 20) I
will be connected (after a long wait) but usually I get a 'remote
computer cannot connect message).
Has anybody else had the same problem.

Only when the broadband filter wasn't connected to the socket I
plugged the modem into.

What type of modem? - it may be an incompatible model.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old December 13th 03, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Emma

Ive tried it with filter and without filter. Model is Intel Ham Plus
V90
Old December 13th 03, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 13:54 GMT, (Emma) wrote:

Ive tried it with filter and without filter.

Seems like the modem is rather fussy, and you'll have to use it
on your non-ADSL line, or try getting several filters and see if
it becomes usable (but slow) on the ADSL line, perhaps ? Peter M
Old December 13th 03, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 13:54:22 GMT, (Emma) wrote:

Ive tried it with filter and without filter.

which port of the filter did you use - the phone one or the ADSL modem
port. The former is correct, and filter quality could be an issue.

Phil

Old December 14th 03, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil McKerracher

Emma wrote in message ...
I find that I cant connect using my analogue modem on the

broadband-enaboled line.
If I connect to my other phone line (non broadband) I'm connected every

time immediately.
Switch to the BB line and very occasionally (maybe 1 attempt in 20) I
will be connected (after a long wait) but usually I get a 'remote computer

cannot connect message).
Has anybody else had the same problem.
Does anyone have a solution?
Ive truied several ISPs and its the same problem with any dial-up ISP I

use.
Ive even tried disconnecting the BB modem and still no joy.

This is a known problem with some (unfortunately common) modems. Try
dialling the ISP's number with an ordinary telephone. If the call sounds
clear with no excessive noise or distortion, then a modem should be able to
connect reliably every time. Beg, borrow or steal a different brand of modem
and try that.

It's hard to predict which ones will work because it depends what brand they
use at your ISP. Trial and error is really the only way.

--
Phil McKerracher
www.mckerracher.org