Wireless router and PCMCIA Card - Is this all I need ?...

Old December 13th 03, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
amstereofan

Default Wireless router and PCMCIA Card - Is this all I need ?...

....For linking a desktop pc and laptop to share a DSL connection ? What is
the cheapest easiest to configure wireless router out there ?

Old December 14th 03, 01:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

My grandfather used to say he wasn't rich enough to buy cheap stuff.
I broke his rule and bought cheap modem/router/wifi (Netgear) and spent 7
frustrating days
trying to figure why the software wouldn't load or uninstall and in the end
even the hardware was faulty.
So I took it back and bought probably the best: Draytek Vigor 2600We.
Hasn't missed a bit since May 10 min's install.
You pay's your money...
Regards,
Martin

Old December 14th 03, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
amstereofan

"Martin²" wrote in message
My grandfather used to say he wasn't rich enough to buy cheap stuff.
I broke his rule and bought cheap modem/router/wifi (Netgear) and spent 7
frustrating days
trying to figure why the software wouldn't load or uninstall and in the

end
even the hardware was faulty.
So I took it back and bought probably the best: Draytek Vigor 2600We.
Hasn't missed a bit since May 10 min's install.
You pay's your money...
Regards,
Martin

So to answer my question yes then ?

Old December 14th 03, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
amstereofan

"Martin²" wrote in message
My grandfather used to say he wasn't rich enough to buy cheap stuff.
I broke his rule and bought cheap modem/router/wifi (Netgear) and spent 7
frustrating days
trying to figure why the software wouldn't load or uninstall and in the

end
even the hardware was faulty.
So I took it back and bought probably the best: Draytek Vigor 2600We.
Hasn't missed a bit since May 10 min's install.
You pay's your money...
Regards,
Martin

£147 was the cheapest I could find this for. Surely one does'nt have to
spend this much ?

Old December 14th 03, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"amstereofan" wrote in message
...For linking a desktop pc and laptop to share a DSL connection ? What is
the cheapest easiest to configure wireless router out there ?

A wireless router and PCMCIA Card is one way of achieving what you want - in
which case have a look at Quickfind code: 48452 on http://www.ebuyer.com/

I imagine that wireless router is one of the cheapest (haven't checked) and
it also has a support forum available via http://www.adsltech.com/

Otherwise you could put a PCMCIA Card in the laptop and a USB/PCI wireless
card in your desktop - this will be cheaper but means that your laptop wont
be able to use the internet independently (your desktop will have to be
connected to the internet for the laptop to have access)

Regards
Sunil

Old December 14th 03, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
amstereofan

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the info, the PCI wireless card seems a good idea

Old December 14th 03, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
amstereofan

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[...]

Is this what I want for the laptop, will connect to the router etc ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=306474729 0

Old December 14th 03, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"amstereofan" wrote in message
Otherwise you could put a PCMCIA Card in the laptop and a USB/PCI

wireless
card in your desktop - this will be cheaper but means that your laptop

wont
be able to use the internet independently (your desktop will have to be
connected to the internet for the laptop to have access)

Is this what I want for the laptop, will connect to the router etc ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=306474729 0

Hmm - no.

You want something like
http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...=F&modulecode=

Regards
Sunil

Old December 15th 03, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"amstereofan" wrote in message
Otherwise you could put a PCMCIA Card in the laptop and a USB/PCI

wireless
card in your desktop - this will be cheaper but means that your laptop

wont
be able to use the internet independently (your desktop will have to

be
connected to the internet for the laptop to have access)

Is this what I want for the laptop, will connect to the router etc ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=306474729 0

Hmm - no.

Actually - its fine - I misread the description but my source is cheaper

Regards
Sunil