Speedtouch modem and USB 2.0 PCI card

Old December 14th 03, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Smithson

Default Speedtouch modem and USB 2.0 PCI card

Hello,

I've read about the problems with the Speedtouch 330 modem and AMD chips
with VIA chipsets. I've also experienced the problems - the modem just
hangs occasionally and I have to re-boot.

So I've bought a PCI USB 2.00 card which should solve the power problems.
The card works fine with 3 other devices and even works with the modem as
long as I plug the modem in after Windows has booted up fully. If it's
plugged in before then, the PC hangs during boot up and won't continue
until the modem is unplugged. The two green lights just come on and stay
on.

I've updated the drivers for the DLINK DU 520 PCI card and I've got the
latest drivers for the modem.

The system is an AMD system running Windows 98 SE with a GA-7ZXE
motherboard (VIA KT133A AGPset).

My workaround is to only plug the modem in after boot up. Is there
another workaround possible - like somehow only enableling the board
further into the bootup?

Thanks.

Peter
--
http://www.beluga.freeserve.co.uk
Old December 14th 03, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

My workaround is to only plug the modem in after boot up. Is there
another workaround possible

You probably could have bought a cheap router/modem for not much more
than you paid for the USB2.x card :-}

Old December 14th 03, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zane Wilson

In article ,
Peter Smithson wrote:
So I've bought a PCI USB 2.00 card which should solve the power problems.
The card works fine with 3 other devices and even works with the modem as
long as I plug the modem in after Windows has booted up fully. If it's

I have the same problem on a Sony Vaio laptop and a USB keyboard.

Zane.
Old December 15th 03, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zane Wilson

In article ,
Peter Smithson wrote:
You probably could have bought a cheap router/modem for not much more
than you paid for the USB2.x card :-}

You're not far wrong!

Fantastic - where can I get an ADSL modem/router for 7.41 inc vat? :-)

Zane.
Old December 15th 03, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Smithson

In article ,
says...
In article ,
Peter Smithson wrote:
You probably could have bought a cheap router/modem for not much more
than you paid for the USB2.x card :-}

You're not far wrong!

Fantastic - where can I get an ADSL modem/router for 7.41 inc vat? :-)

Zane.

That's cheap! I paid 25 for mine inc P&P but it did turn up the next
day. Still, almost worth buying one of these to see if it fixes the
problem.

--
http://www.beluga.freeserve.co.uk