D-Link DI 614+ - Pipex and PPPoA

Old December 14th 03, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

Default D-Link DI 614+ - Pipex and PPPoA

Hi all,

As I understand it, my Pipex connection should use PPPoA, but my router, a
D-Link DI614+ doesn't have this option available. I have my broadband
connection (through a 3 Com HomeConnect Dual Link modem) working fine, but
when I plug the modem into the router, I can't connect.

I suppose a general issue could be that the router and modem just aren't
talking. How do I get them to do so, if that's the case?

The firmware version of the DI614+ is 3.20.

Any help appreciated...

Andy

Old December 14th 03, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bat Guano

http://www.bbarrera.com/networks.htm

Old December 15th 03, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

"Bat Guano" [email protected] wrote in message

http://www.bbarrera.com/networks.htm

I think the issue is more with the DI614+ rather than the HomeConnect modem.
I just don't have a PPPoA option in the firmware. Do other routers have
such an option?

Andy

Old December 16th 03, 07:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon A

I think the issue is more with the DI614+ rather than the HomeConnect
modem.
I just don't have a PPPoA option in the firmware. Do other routers have
such an option?
Andy

I don't know why they sell the DI614+ as a "broadband" router in the UK
(maybe it works for cable), I got one of these and felt conned, the wan port
is ethernet only.
I just use it for wireless connectivity, nothing to do with broadband.
Set up the 614 as a hub/switch only (disable DHCP) then connect one of the
LAN ethernet ports (not WAN port) to your ethernet port on the 3COM, plug
your PC's into the other 3 lan ports on the 614.

Old December 19th 03, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

"Simon A" wrote in message

I don't know why they sell the DI614+ as a "broadband" router in the UK
(maybe it works for cable), I got one of these and felt conned, the wan

port
is ethernet only.
I just use it for wireless connectivity, nothing to do with broadband.
Set up the 614 as a hub/switch only (disable DHCP) then connect one of the
LAN ethernet ports (not WAN port) to your ethernet port on the 3COM, plug
your PC's into the other 3 lan ports on the 614.

Thanks for that. However, I'm not sure that'll solve my problem, as I want
to allow web access from any PC on the network without any specific PC being
switched on. I was hoping for the DI614 to be able to connect the 3Com to
the ISP without a PC... Is my only option to get a new 'router'?

Andy

Old December 20th 03, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheCaretaker

Thanks for that. However, I'm not sure that'll solve my problem, as I

want
to allow web access from any PC on the network without any specific PC

being
switched on. I was hoping for the DI614 to be able to connect the 3Com to
the ISP without a PC... Is my only option to get a new 'router'?

Andy

you can't do that with that router. Your only real option is to buy a new
one.

Old December 20th 03, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

"TheCaretaker" none wrote in message

you can't do that with that router. Your only real option is to buy a new
one.

Any suggestions as to which one would do this? I need to have a detachable
antenna too...

Andy