Freeserve Broadband - Time to join?

Old December 14th 03, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
yesfan

Default Freeserve Broadband - Time to join?

I have got Freeserve Broadband on thier current no obligation offer -
no setup or modem costs. If I continue after 30 days it will be £27.99
per month and a minimum 12 month contract.

As higher broadband speeds start to arrive, when will the price drop?
I'll be annoyed if I commit to 12 months at £27.99 per month and then
the price drops to something like £19.99!

Advice, please!
Old December 14th 03, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Smith

In article , pr845662
@NOSPAMyesfan.freeserve.co.uk says...
I have got Freeserve Broadband on thier current no obligation offer -
no setup or modem costs. If I continue after 30 days it will be £27.99
per month and a minimum 12 month contract.

As higher broadband speeds start to arrive, when will the price drop?
I'll be annoyed if I commit to 12 months at £27.99 per month and then
the price drops to something like £19.99!

Advice, please!

Try someone else?

IMO, £27.99 is a lot for what Freeserve offer. If it's anything like their
dial up package, you'll have poor web access (via their transparent enforced
proxy), and the inability to connect to anyone else on port 25.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ have ISP reviews.

I'm with Plusnet, and I'm very happy. Only pay £21.99 a month, and get free
fax2email too.

Pete.

--
NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you
Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail
Old December 14th 03, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Whiteflyer

yesfan wrote:
I have got Freeserve Broadband on thier current no obligation offer -
no setup or modem costs. If I continue after 30 days it will be £27.99
per month and a minimum 12 month contract.

As higher broadband speeds start to arrive, when will the price drop?
I'll be annoyed if I commit to 12 months at £27.99 per month and then
the price drops to something like £19.99!

Advice, please!

I would think if the price drops it will affect all contracts.
If you so concerned about price why use freeserve when nildram, eclipse
and zen are all under £24 a month

whiteflyer
Old December 14th 03, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Hocking

"Whiteflyer" wrote in message
yesfan wrote:
I have got Freeserve Broadband on thier current no obligation offer -
no setup or modem costs. If I continue after 30 days it will be £27.99
per month and a minimum 12 month contract.

As higher broadband speeds start to arrive, when will the price drop?
I'll be annoyed if I commit to 12 months at £27.99 per month and then
the price drops to something like £19.99!

Advice, please!

I would think if the price drops it will affect all contracts.
If you so concerned about price why use freeserve when nildram, eclipse
and zen are all under £24 a month

whiteflyer

I am currently using their 1 month trial - good modem (Speedtouch) & no
problems with connection. News server is ok but the customer service is
appalling!

Better offers to be had from Pipex, Plusnet, Eclipse etc

I won't be staying for the 12 months!

Mark

Old December 14th 03, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

yesfan wrote:
I have got Freeserve Broadband on thier current no obligation offer -
no setup or modem costs. If I continue after 30 days it will be £27.99
per month and a minimum 12 month contract.

As higher broadband speeds start to arrive, when will the price drop?
I'll be annoyed if I commit to 12 months at £27.99 per month and then
the price drops to something like £19.99!

Your contract is for the service, not for the service at a set price. If
they drop their prices, your bill will drop accordingly.

Old December 14th 03, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
amstereofan

"yesfan" wrote in message
news
I have got Freeserve Broadband on thier current no obligation offer -
no setup or modem costs. If I continue after 30 days it will be £27.99
per month and a minimum 12 month contract.

As higher broadband speeds start to arrive, when will the price drop?
I'll be annoyed if I commit to 12 months at £27.99 per month and then
the price drops to something like £19.99!

The price has dropped, months ago! ie Fast4 do 512MB for £18.75. You can
also get 1MB cheaper than what you pay!!

Old December 15th 03, 01:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 14 Dec 2003, Pete Smith wrote:

says...
As higher broadband speeds start to arrive, when will the price drop?
I'll be annoyed if I commit to 12 months at £27.99 per month and then
the price drops to something like £19.99!

Freeserve was charging 29.99 from December 2001 to about October/November
of 2002, when it dropped to 27.99 (after others had gone lower). They do
not seem to be considering higher speeds, and if there is some price drop
from BT Wholesale, it may take a while to surface at Freeserve. You'd be
happy to pay 19.99 surely, not cross. They'd pass on new prices to their
customers (as they did for those of us who used wires only on FS from the
start - in fact they were charging only 19.99 for several months until it
was spotted - I decided to leave them a little after the charge went back
up!)

If it's anything like their dial up package, you'll have poor web access
(via their transparent enforced proxy),

No, it's not like dial-up, and I ran at full pelt for days on end, when I
wanted to do so. Binaries on their news server are fairly good too, IME.

the inability to connect to anyone else on port 25.

Is that a problem ? If I wanted, I could use IMAP services for sending
mail, but the port 25 traffic capture was never a major problem unless
wanting to testing some SMTP server via telnet...

I'm happily with PlusNet (my link : http://tinyurl.com/8ib9 - if you're
happy with the service, recommend to others and you'll get a discount on
the monthly fee)... but if one is after higher speed, then 27.50 a month
may be a better value paying for 1 Mbps from http://www.ukfsn.org/ but
you have perhaps 36 hours to think about it... Peter M.
Old December 29th 03, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark sayers

Hi, You can get broadband at 512k for £19.99pm you just have to look for
it. Regards Mark
news

Old December 30th 03, 02:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

PlusNet does 512kbps for £18.99 (or 21.99 if you want P2P and binaries),
very nearly cheapest available.
They won awards for service and reliability just recently.
If you go with them use my id 'jerryw' as referrer and save me few pence,
ta.
Regards,
Martin