Broadband distance

Old December 15th 03, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bert

Default Broadband distance

Dear All,

I like to connect my computer to broadband, but my PC is 30 metres from the
point where the wire comes into the house. Does anyone have any idea if this
is possibl or does anyone has expierence with this.

Thanks,

Bert.

Old December 15th 03, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Roberts

Bert wrote:
I like to connect my computer to broadband, but my PC is 30 metres from the
point where the wire comes into the house. Does anyone have any idea if this
is possibl or does anyone has expierence with this.

Three solutions to choose from (at least):

Telephone extension cable to the point for the modem; wireless router
placed near the entry point and wireless card in PC; wired router near
the entry point and then a Cat5 wire to the computer and an ethernet
card in the PC.

--
Dave Roberts

Old December 15th 03, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graeme

"Bert" wrote in message
Dear All,

I like to connect my computer to broadband, but my PC is 30 metres from

the
point where the wire comes into the house. Does anyone have any idea if

this
is possibl or does anyone has expierence with this.

Thanks,

Bert.

My telephone point enters on one side of my house, my PC is on the other. I
have an extension cable running up the wall outside, through the loft space,
and then back down to my modem/router. Total cable length must be about 20m.
It works fine.

Old December 15th 03, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bert

Thanks for that. Can I use my normal extension lead what I am using now or
do I need a RJ11 cable?

Bert.

Old December 16th 03, 07:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graeme

"Bert" wrote in message
Dear All,

I like to connect my computer to broadband, but my PC is 30 metres from

the
point where the wire comes into the house. Does anyone have any idea if

this
is possibl or does anyone has expierence with this.

Thanks,

Bert.

Well, I installed my own extension using the normal 3-pair telephone cable,
from the master socket to an extension socket, then the modem plugs into
this. Doesn't RJ11 just refer to the type of connector at the end of the
modem cable (the bit that actuallyplugs into the modem)? As you can see, I'm
not a telecoms expert.