Tips for broadband please

Old December 15th 03, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Towill

Default Tips for broadband please

My exchange is being broadband enabled the end of Jan.
Originally I thought of using BT and having a "free" modem and connection.
However is seems to me that with a minimum years subs plus a connection
charge if you change other suppliers are cheaper.
My tentative choice is Avension as their charges are very reasonable, there
is no down/upload limit and I can use P2P. Any comments?
Secondly as I will be buying my own modem are there any differences between
them? all advice and recommendations welcomes.
TIA
John T
Old December 15th 03, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"John Towill" wrote in message
My exchange is being broadband enabled the end of Jan.
Originally I thought of using BT and having a "free" modem and connection.
However is seems to me that with a minimum years subs plus a connection
charge if you change other suppliers are cheaper.
My tentative choice is Avension as their charges are very reasonable,

there
is no down/upload limit and I can use P2P. Any comments?
Secondly as I will be buying my own modem are there any differences

between
them? all advice and recommendations welcomes.

I suggest you start with reading http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ (including
their forums/hardware reviews) and then come back here with any questions.

There are many different ADSL ISP's and many have "unique selling points" -
it all depends on your needs as to which ISP is right for you.

Regards
Sunil

Old December 16th 03, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Ian Stirling
writes
John Towill wrote:
Plusnet may be another choice.
Slightly more expensive (21.99 vs 19.99).

and Demon aren't cheap (#24.99 but the email and newsgroups are good,
well usually) and their collaboration with Brightmail to set up a
spamtrap sounds fairly well thought out...
Bob
--
robert w hall
Old December 17th 03, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

robert w hall wrote:
In article , Ian Stirling
writes
John Towill wrote:
Plusnet may be another choice.
Slightly more expensive (21.99 vs 19.99).

and Demon aren't cheap (#24.99 but the email and newsgroups are good,
well usually) and their collaboration with Brightmail to set up a
spamtrap sounds fairly well thought out...

Newsgroups are about as good as plusnet for text.

Binaries are currently quite broken (plusnet have around 10 bits missing
from every part, demon only 3) on both.
Plusnet however have announced that they intend to upgrade their newsserver
early next year, demon have announced no plans.