Odd - sharing freeserve ADSL with XP ICS

Old December 15th 03, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dylan Mouratsing

Default Odd - sharing freeserve ADSL with XP ICS

Hello,
Apologies if this comes across as an exhausted query - I have googled
for this most of yesterday evening, to no avail.

Here's the scenario. We have two laptops, both with 1394 'firewire'
capabilities. These are both mainly for work, and are seldom at home in use
at the same time. The main family PC also has firewire. When i bought my
laptop I bought a firewire cable, and successfully used the home network
wizard thing on xp to migrate some big files over. So that connection is all
fine.

I've been away for a few months, and my family has set up freeserve
broadband. We have the Thomson SpeedTouch 330 usb doodad (technical term
). At the moment the other laptop has the speedtouch driver and connection
set up so it can connect alone. Obviously the other computers can't use the
line at the same time.

What I'd like to be able to do is use internet connection sharing from XP
(all pc's have xp pro), but at the moment it's not working as planned. If I
try and use the line from the laptop hooked into the main pc, it can
initiate the connection (PPPoE freeserve thing) successfully. IE6 just
counts up on the progress bar, the status bar says "site found, waiting for
reply", and after some seconds just comes up with the Page Cannot Be
Displayed page.

What's really wierd is that Outlook XP's send and receive progress window
gets as far as "Downloading message 1 of 7", but then freezes at that point.
It's really frustrating! I can see the traffic on the two-computer icons in
the trays for each computer, they seem to be blinking periodically (~1 per
second), suggesting maybe failing packets are being re-sent at some stage.
Real amateur diagnosis there, I'm asking here in case anyone's had a similar
problem or can see an obvious solution that i've overlooked?

I'd be REALLY grateful if anyone here can help me with this. Who knows,
maybe there's a pint in it for ya?! :-P

TIA

dyl www.bassnote.tk

Old December 15th 03, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dylan Mouratsing

Wow even the replies in broadband groups are up to ten times faster than
dialup! ;-)

here's what pinging google gets me:

C:\Documents and Settings\Dylanping www.google.com

Pinging www.google.akadns.net [66.102.11.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 66.102.11.99:

will check out the drtcp / mtu thing, though i know absolutely nothing about
it, it all looks very interesting and i'll put the time in if it pays off!

cheers again

dylan www.bassnote.tk

"Nat Stott" wrote in message
"Dylan Mouratsing" wrote in message
[...]

Can you ping from the networked machine?
e.g "ping www.google.com" and get a reply

Have you looked at running DrTCP and checking the MTU on each machine, in
case its a packet size problem?
http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

Old December 16th 03, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dylan Mouratsing

"Nat Stott" wrote in message

Can you ping from the networked machine?
e.g "ping www.google.com" and get a reply

Have you looked at running DrTCP and checking the MTU on each machine, in
case its a packet size problem?
http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

On neither the 'gateway' PC, nor the client laptop, the speedtouch
connection isn't listed at all! When it's hooked directly to each pc in
turn. The list is:

Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver
Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver
Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver
1394 Net Adapter
Microsoft TV/Video Connection
Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver

I don't even know what the TV thing's about??! maybe something to do with
the TV card in there. The 1394 link's MTU is 576, for what it's worth. All
the others are blank. On my laptop the list is:

1394 Net Adapter
VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 Mini PCI Adapter
1394 Net Adapter

The MTU's are blank on all adapters here.

Any ideas?

Dylan www.bassnote.tk

Old December 16th 03, 02:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dylan Mouratsing

Default ~SORTED~ Odd - sharing freeserve ADSL with XP ICS

Hi all,
I messed with MTUs and what have you, also turned off the windows
'firewall' and sygate personal firewall. Then, removed the sharing on the
ADSL connection, rebooted, restarted sharing and its all working now!

just have to go about getting a firewall that works with ICS - sygate was
running on the gateway pc but now seems to block all traffic coming from the
laptop - not very helpful in this instance.

dylan www.bassnote.tk

Old December 16th 03, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dylan Mouratsing

"JRS" wrote in message
Have you allowed sharing on the network neighbourhood tab of sygate?

The 1394 (my LAN connection, in this instance) isn't an option on that tab.
I've allowed what I could for the Speedtouch thing that was listed, but it
didn't make a difference, and won't help much anyway.

dylan www.bassnote.tk

Old December 16th 03, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

just have to go about getting a firewall that works with ICS - sygate was
running on the gateway pc but now seems to block all traffic coming from

the
laptop - not very helpful in this instance.

This is from the Sygate Help.. no idea if it works though - I use a router
here and checking the Network Neighbourhood option allows access to
networked PCs.
Is the Personal Firewall compatible with Microsoft's Internet Connection
Sharing (ICS)?
Yes, it is.

How do I configure the Personal Firewall to work with ICS?
To configure the Personal Firewall to work with ICS, all operating systems
should be set as follows:

1.. From the Main Menu, click Tools|Applications, or click the
Applications button.

2.. Set the following applications to Allow in the Running Applications
list:

a.. Kernel

b.. LSA Shell

c.. Generic Host Process

d.. Application Layer Gateway Service (for Windows XP)

e.. NCIS User mode I/O Driver

Set the following applications to Allow, according to the operating system:

a.. For Windows 98/ME:

a.. ICSHAREP.VXD

b.. ICSMGR.EXE

c.. NDIS

d.. NetBeui

e.. IPX (if used)

f.. Kernel

g.. For Windows 2000:

h.. LSASS.EXE

i.. TCP/IP

j.. NDIS

k.. NetBeui

l.. IPX (if used)

m.. Kernel

a.. For Windows XP:

b.. LSASS.EXE

c.. ALG.EXE

d.. NDIS

e.. Kernel

Old December 16th 03, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dylan Mouratsing

"James Hurrell" wrote in message
[...]

In that menu I have:
Application Layer Gateway Service
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
NT Kernel & System
Windows Explorer

Setting them all to allow makes no difference. 'block all' and 'normal' seem
identical!

Dylan www.bassnote.tk